Really Boring Endgame

iftift Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179109Members
Games play out different ways, but they end the same way - the pointless 15-minute turtle in the last remaining base. One team with whole map control, full tech and resources, and one team with nothing. I switch servers after a few minutes of that, because, yeah, so much fun.

It would be fine if the game just ended after getting a fourth base.

Someone's going to say it shouldn't take 15 minutes for an organized team to break through - no ######, this is pub. And it happens almost every game.

Comments

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2059532:date=Jan 11 2013, 11:50 PM:name=ift)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ift @ Jan 11 2013, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Games play out different ways, but they end the same way - the pointless 15-minute turtle in the last remaining base. One team with whole map control, full tech and resources, and one team with nothing. I switch servers after a few minutes of that, because, yeah, so much fun.

It would be fine if the game just ended after getting a fourth base.

Someone's going to say it shouldn't take 15 minutes for an organized team to break through - no ######, this is pub. And it happens almost every game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's like saying chess should be over when you lose your queen...

Its a pub game so what do you expect?
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    IMO: Ns2 needs a *little* more cascading late game, but with more ###### (And better players) it will improve a lot!
  • oMeoMe Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25884Members
    Well in RTS titels like starcraft people surrender(gg) and quit... else those rounds would take a few more minutes .. boring minutes.

So the loser team in ns2 needs to gg too or else... if people dont surrender/f4 they want to play this last stand, i guess.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2059537:date=Jan 12 2013, 12:55 AM:name=soccerguy243)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (soccerguy243 @ Jan 12 2013, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's like saying chess should be over when you lose your queen...

Its a pub game so what do you expect?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. It's like saying chess should be over when you lose everything but a few pawns (1 base & 1 RT) and your opponent has 8 queens (4 bases & 8-10 RTs)... which it is. NS2 can stalemate on for quite a while, though.

The slower respawn in the next patch should help a little bit with that.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059557:date=Jan 12 2013, 12:45 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jan 12 2013, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. It's like saying chess should be over when you lose everything but a few pawns (1 base & 1 RT) and your opponent has 8 queens (4 bases & 8-10 RTs)... which it is. NS2 can stalemate on for quite a while, though.

The slower respawn in the next patch should help a little bit with that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the majority of NS2 is FPS. People like shooting stuff. So even if the RTS portion is over they still want to keep shooting.

So unless people gg and F4 you're going to have a stalemate... its part of the game. I don't think there should be anything that forces the game end except winning or F4.

And if the other team has 8 "queens" it shouldn't stalemate that long...
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Well, if the marines have 3+ tech rooms and the aliens have only one, then even in a pub game their defeat can be only moments away. Unless, of course, the marine team is intentionally drawing it out, which does indeed happen in almost all games. But in such a case the game can hardly be blamed.

As for marine turtling, it is a known and widely complained about issue. Changes are on the way to attempt to alleviate that.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    That's only partially true. It really depends on the players trying to break that turtle. When the game is pretty much over and you don't have to worry about ressources, it gives room for trying out new things.

A few days ago, I was playing on the alien team, the map was refinery. We Had containment, pipeline, the one next to containment (can't remember) and every res node except the marine base nodes. The whole map was covered in whips, crags and shades, while the marines were totally burned out, having lost a train of exos and ARCs just before. There was no way they could have recovered. Smelting was heavily sieged from conduit and controll was continualy pushed from pipeline. But no matter how hard we pushed, we couldn't break the marine's crossfire.
    So, I went gorge with adrenaline and asked over voice if any other gorge would come with me to sneak behind enemy lines and bile bomb smeltings power node from the undefended side (very easy with camo). Well, it didn't work. Unfortunately no one came with me, I was killed before the power even went into emergency mode. People just prefered to run against the marine grenade wall over and over again.

I know my little anecdote is flawed; it's much easier to turtle in one base than two. But I guess what I tried to convey is: ppl seem to like the mindless trench-warfare or they just can't be bothered to make organized pushes. If anyone here ever played BF3, you should know that the most played map in this game was (and presumably is) Metro Conquest with 64 players. SPAM! Even if the average NS2 player is a spirited BF3 player, it just seems to be a thing alot of ppl find entertaining.

You have to show me one turtle that withstands the timed attack of three onos drawing fire and smashing the power node, one or two fades killing marines, two or three gorges biling and healing and one or two lerks gasing and obscuring the marines view.
    And if your team isn't capable of ending it, you can always call for an f4 or as a last resort, quit the server.
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2013
    The real problem is that you simply CAN'T gg. If you F4 to RR you actually prolong the game in most cases because of the brainless "balance" system. This really sucks because turtling may be funny to noobs with less than 100hrs playtime but for experianced players it gets SO boring.... especially as marines often already have "lost" the game 10 minutes before the actual turtle ... So playing games where out of 30 you loose for 20 mins(10 mins on 3 rt and 2 tech points and 10 mins turtling on 1 rt 1 tech point) over and over again really kills the fun.

I realized that I gradually play less and less NS2 because of this sucky game mechanic...
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I stopped playing for a few weeks after the game was released because I wasn't having much fun in pub stomps and the amount of turtling was pretty nuts. But it doesn't happen as often anymore, really I see aliens rushing the main base as a group for the most part now.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    Ive found that this problem is easily solved by speaking on the microphone and directing your team mates!
  • FroiboFroibo Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72375Members
    Just got done with a rather dreadful 100 minute game as Aliens.

Had them contained most of the game but they were still able to beacon constantly and even pump out some EXOs. They eventually were able to get enough momentum to contest one of our hives and even bring it down twice; it was a back and forth battle for it.

Finally, we were able to get some well placed attacks on their bases and destroy the EXOs, but it still took another 15 minuets to end it after that. I think I will be taking a break from the game for a bit.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2059619:date=Jan 12 2013, 12:45 PM:name=Froibo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Froibo @ Jan 12 2013, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just got done with a rather dreadful 100 minute game as Aliens.

Had them contained most of the game but they were still able to beacon constantly and even pump out some EXOs. They eventually were able to get enough momentum to contest one of our hives and even bring it down twice; it was a back and forth battle for it.

Finally, we were able to get some well placed attacks on their bases and destroy the EXOs, but it still took another 15 minuets to end it after that. I think I will be taking a break from the game for a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mhhh, actually sounds like a pretty tense game. Sounds exactly like a game I had on Thursday and it was good fun. I like the match balance to be on a knive's edge.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059619:date=Jan 12 2013, 01:45 PM:name=Froibo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Froibo @ Jan 12 2013, 01:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just got done with a rather dreadful 100 minute game as Aliens.

Finally, we were able to get some well placed attacks on their bases and destroy the EXOs, but it still took another 15 minuets to end it after that. I think I will be taking a break from the game for a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ye, actually sounds like a pretty good game. I don't think NS is for you if the definition you just gave is a game which you don't find fun.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2059619:date=Jan 12 2013, 07:45 AM:name=Froibo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Froibo @ Jan 12 2013, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just got done with a rather dreadful 100 minute game as Aliens.

Sounds like a fun game to me though. As long as marines can hold two cc's, it's still on.
  • FroiboFroibo Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72375Members
    edited January 2013
    It was fun in a sense, but it was also 2 hours long and burnt me out a bit. Granted it was a lot more entertaining than the 10 minute rolls.

I almost broke 100 kills and a teammate broke 1k score, I never have done the first or even seen the second so that was exciting.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited January 2013
    sometimes i enjoy the last stand, its kinda like the ultimate tower defense.

aliens never really get the option unless they have plenty of evolved life forms to help defend.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    I've played at least 4-5 comeback games, in the past week.

Marines would have 4-5 exo's, 4 arcs and jp/weld support, toward one of two hives. Aliens have 2-3 upgrades and pRes. Through Onos, Bile Bomb and poorly thoughtout marine assaults, Aliens would win, off a base rush.

On the other side, Marines coming back with Arcs, weapons 3 and good phase gate placement.

Every endgame isn't a turtle.

It helps if you can be a ground leader and lead your team out of the hole; or in to finish the job, if you're winning. Usually, many players need a bit more direction than a comms assault/defend orders.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Comebacks mean diddly squat if the bit leading up to is mind-numbingly dull and repetitive.
  • xeNonnyxeNonny Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9034Members
    I too have seen comebacks... either a sneaky alien takes out a marine base and they roll in or the marine comm fails to beacon when aliens attempt a last rush on their base from which marines can't recover. In both these situations I was the commander (first situation I was alien comm and second time I was marine comm).
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    easy way to break marine turtle with newb team.

Make ~ 4 oni eggs somewhere in a dark corner, when the 4th one is done yell in voip "FREE ONI EGGS *PING* *PING* "

Oh yeah, AND FOCUS THE GODDAMN POWERNODE!!!!
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited January 2013
    missing the point. comebacks that <i>are</i> possible are pretty cheap and forced due to the power node system. cheap doesn't mean lame - it is simply a very shoddily designed "comeback button" gameplay mechanic. it's not that comebacks don't exist, it's that the endgame is incredibly turtle-friendly for marines, and un-fun for aliens. no one is opposed to having comebacks; they're one of the most excellent displays of varied gameplay. however, I am opposed to drawing out games that are clearly over.

unfortunately with the massive differences in skill there are many players who don't understand when a game is winnable or not, leading marines to turtle for ages while the aliens have no siege.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059721:date=Jan 12 2013, 11:17 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 12 2013, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->missing the point. comebacks that <i>are</i> possible are pretty cheap and forced due to the power node system. cheap doesn't mean lame - it is simply a very shoddily designed "comeback button" gameplay mechanic. it's not that comebacks don't exist, it's that the endgame is incredibly turtle-friendly for marines, and un-fun for aliens. no one is opposed to having comebacks; they're one of the most excellent displays of varied gameplay. however, I am opposed to drawing out games that are clearly over.

unfortunately with the massive differences in skill there are many players who don't understand when a game is winnable or not, leading marines to turtle for ages while the aliens have no siege.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited January 2013
    I risk sounding like a broken record ... but since Aliens clearly have a hard time breaking last stand defences they need some kind of ability that takes what a winning Alien team have (map control and res) and turns that into something that nullifies a turtle. Namely a costly, slow-moving and vulnerable unit that does huge AoE damage. The thing is, the new unit should deter turtling, forcing the Marines to either move out and perhaps win or stay static and surely and swiftly get pummeled.

This new unit could be merged Drifters: The Khamm multi-selects a handful of Drifters and merges them. This costs a lot of res and takes a while, so the merging, evolving Drifter sludge is an attractive target for a Marine team that does actually leave base. When the merged Drifter have finished evolving, it can consume a Hive at the cost of even more res to gain the doomsdayesque AoE ability. At this point, the Alien would have lost 1) most of its team res and 2) a Hive, but have gained a slow-moving unit that can level a Marine base in an instant if it manages to travel unscathed from the Hive spot to the Marine turtle. Again, a Marine team that leave base will be presented with an opportunity to destroy the expensive, merged, Hive-consuming Drifter slodge (<-- insert cool name here, like <i>Ravager</i>, or <i>Mucus Nuke</i>).
  • EldrazorEldrazor Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162982Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2059741:date=Jan 12 2013, 08:16 PM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Jan 12 2013, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I risk sounding like a broken record ... but since Aliens clearly have a hard time breaking last stand defences they need some kind of ability that takes what a winning Alien team have (map control and res) and turns that into something that nullifies a turtle. Namely a costly, slow-moving and vulnerable unit that does huge AoE damage. The thing is, the new unit should deter turtling, forcing the Marines to either move out and perhaps win or stay static and surely and swiftly get pummeled.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like a whip with bombard?
    When you sync it with an attack of your team, it generally works out well. Bombard deals ######tons of damage.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059721:date=Jan 13 2013, 01:17 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 13 2013, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->missing the point. comebacks that <i>are</i> possible are pretty cheap and forced due to the power node system. cheap doesn't mean lame - it is simply a very shoddily designed "comeback button" gameplay mechanic. it's not that comebacks don't exist, it's that the endgame is incredibly turtle-friendly for marines, and un-fun for aliens. no one is opposed to having comebacks; they're one of the most excellent displays of varied gameplay. however, I am opposed to drawing out games that are clearly over.

unfortunately with the massive differences in skill there are many players who don't understand when a game is winnable or not, leading marines to turtle for ages while the aliens have no siege.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this.

and to add, i have played some ~50 games with players at competitive levels - or you call it those old nsers who does scrim at least or even CAL/world cup. when the game is drag into very late game, it is indeed very boring. its all about detecting a hive rush or base rush. beacon phase in or run around the map for aliens. it could continue for 45 minutes. hives go up, hives go down, cc goes, cc goes down. not quite fun really. there is just no variety in tactics used. its basically a mass push - and then you lose one of your hives because everyone is in their base, a steal - end up with a bacon, or a random skulk lucky enough picking some unsecured spots. until someone in the team gets really boring make a mistake because he doesnt care ###### anymore, likely the marine comm, then the cheap comeback gets into the play.

where is the hive ninja and the pg ninja? split push? ninja sieges? hive teleport?
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059742:date=Jan 12 2013, 07:20 PM:name=Eldrazor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eldrazor @ Jan 12 2013, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like a whip with bombard?
    When you sync it with an attack of your team, it generally works out well. Bombard deals ######tons of damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've played 100 hours NS2, not a lot, no, but anyway ... I've yet to see Bombard play a crucial role. I once Khammanded on ns_docking against a turtle, and my Whips at most annoyed the Marine team (they had a few ARC's). What really won the game was spamming Onos eggs and slowly wearing the Marines down. Tedious.

Since the entire Marine team have long range guns plus turrets and ARC's (also long range), you're going to need a lot of Whips... Better to just wear them down (and that is: see thread title).
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059561:date=Jan 12 2013, 01:57 AM:name=soccerguy243)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (soccerguy243 @ Jan 12 2013, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the majority of NS2 is FPS. People like shooting stuff. So even if the RTS portion is over they still want to keep shooting.

So unless people gg and F4 you're going to have a stalemate... its part of the game. I don't think there should be anything that forces the game end except winning or F4.

And if the other team has 8 "queens" it shouldn't stalemate that long...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nothing you're saying makes any sense.
    1. People like shooting stuff. And what do you think they're gonna do next round?
    2. Shouldn't be anything that forces the game. And what do you think controlling 9 resource nodes is?
    3. 8 queens. The problem isn't on the side of one team having 8 queens. The problem is that each turn they kill 12 pawns who immediately respawn, so the king is eternally protected even though the actual game is over.

Stalemates last too long period. The only reasonable solution is for a team that controls 90% of the map to decisively end the game. (Much the same way aliens on 1 hive are decisively ended.)
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2059619:date=Jan 12 2013, 06:45 AM:name=Froibo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Froibo @ Jan 12 2013, 06:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just got done with a rather dreadful 100 minute game as Aliens.

That actually sounds like a <i>good</i> game. It's only those final 15 minutes (however long you held them at 1 tech point) that were the excessive part. Simply "containing them" most of the game but letting them get Exos isn't really grounds for the game ending there there.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2059721:date=Jan 12 2013, 09:17 AM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Jan 12 2013, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->missing the point. comebacks that <i>are</i> possible are pretty cheap and forced due to the power node system. cheap doesn't mean lame - it is simply a very shoddily designed "comeback button" gameplay mechanic. it's not that comebacks don't exist, it's that the endgame is incredibly turtle-friendly for marines, and un-fun for aliens. no one is opposed to having comebacks; they're one of the most excellent displays of varied gameplay. however, I am opposed to drawing out games that are clearly over.

Aliens can go after the Command Chair, Phase Gate (while a majority of marines are away, if they are holding a nearby area), Observatory (Beacon), and/or Arms Lab (No armor- 2 shot kills). All of these can be game-enders.

If the aliens have 3 hives, marine turtles are an alien strategy problem. It only takes an onos, lerk, and bile bombing gorge to kill the power or an armslab+observatory.

Aliens can't really turtle in the opposite situation, they starve to death.

It's the players, in my opinion, not the game.

Edit/Add: If a team can't finish the job with 3/4 tech points and full upgrades, it's a player/teamwork issue.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I had a pretty long game the other night, probably over an hour. And whereas I do typically like a long game that goes back and forth, this was more painful than anything. Basically it was mineshaft and for some reason the marines would only work together every 10 minutes or so. For that brief shining moment we'd kill a hive, then everyone would scramble to the winds and the aliens would get 2 hive again. Basically it went from marines owning operations, deposit, sorting to operations, deposit, and repair. The aliens would just fill in the rest, and oh my god did it suck. Even when their last hive wasn't even built and no one could spawn, no one wanted to rush the hive.

Pretty much though this was a player issue, as soon as I joined the alien team (when enough people quit to do so) we pretty much started rolling up the marines and then I got kicked for switching as I was finishing off deposit. I'm looking forward to more skilled players because yea that's the cause of never-ending mind numbing stale mates. It has nothing to do with power nodes or tech differences, it's all about inexperience.