Server afk kick feature coming

ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">How it works on low pop servers?</div>I read that idle kick feature is coming in 236. Will I then be able to join empty server and browse internet while waiting for more players or will I get kicked from server?

Comments

• LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited January 2013
    i was actually anticipating uwe bringing another epic fail with this feature. but as you pointed out already, ok, dun make retarded mistakes or anything sub-par compared to DAK admin mod please.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    A good method could be having one timer that always runs for moving AFK players to the ready room and another for kicking players in the ready room that is only active when the server is full or near full.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    The AFK filter should only kick while a round is active. If the round has not started, neither should the AFK timer.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058346:date=Jan 9 2013, 08:33 AM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Jan 9 2013, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The AFK filter should only kick while a round is active. If the round has not started, neither should the AFK timer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, this makes the most sense.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The AFK system was designed with the help of server operators on the official server operator mailing list.

The system can be configured with 2 variables:

Time until kick - The number of seconds that a player is not moving or shooting before they are kicked. Using 0 will disable the system entirely.

How full the server is before the system is enabled - A number from 0 to 1 that indicates how full the server must be before the system is enabled.

As long as these are configured using reasonable values, I think the AFK system will work correctly. Of course, there may be some edge cases that we fix up over time but a few edge cases aren't a good enough reason not to implement something.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ^ Sounds good but, can you make default settings reasonable, like 0.8 for how full it is, 300s kick. If the defaults are too low, I assure you many admins won't change the settings and players will get kicked left right and center.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Default time is 300 seconds (5 minutes) and 50% full.
  • TSADroneTSADrone Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173807Members
    edited January 2013
    50% full as the default? How does that make sense? Why do afkers need to be kicked with so many slots available?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    One problem: an AFKer in-game and an AFKer in the ready room are two very different things. The former is more damaging, especially on servers with smaller teams. I think there should be a separate timer for kicking in-game AFKers to the RR, that does not use the full percentage setting.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    If those in the RR make up the 'server full' count too then it should work ... ?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2058542:date=Jan 9 2013, 02:04 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Jan 9 2013, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Default time is 300 seconds (5 minutes) and 50% full.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds perfect to me. I'd cut it to 3 minutes personally (bathroom breaks are usually <2)... but 5 is also good.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    I agree with Zek. I would like to see the in-game AFK problem dealt with first before the RR problem. When you have 1-3 AFKs on your team, it can really ruin games.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    5 mins... what if someone has to go to the bathroom? Or needs to go get another beer? or both! 5 mins is stupid up it to 10.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2058610:date=Jan 9 2013, 06:58 PM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Jan 9 2013, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058610"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5 mins... what if someone has to go to the bathroom? Or needs to go get another beer? or both! 5 mins is stupid up it to 10.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You must be kidding, just quit the game.
  • zenatsuzenatsu Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176363Members
    edited January 2013
    If someone is AFK in the RR. That still hurts the server. Due to the fact that a server has Xmax clients. Where those X clients go (in team y1 or y2) dosnt matter. The slot is filled.

So if you have 3 AFK players in the RR, it hurts the server due to inactivity in the end.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058611:date=Jan 9 2013, 02:59 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 9 2013, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You must be kidding, just quit the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not all of us live in tiny apartments bro. Door bell rings or you get a phone call well i guess your getting kicked. 5 mins is a joke just like you.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2058650:date=Jan 9 2013, 09:13 PM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Jan 9 2013, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not all of us live in tiny apartments bro. Door bell rings or you get a phone call well i guess your getting kicked. 5 mins is a joke<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Zek is absolutely right. If you need more than a few minutes then quit the game and join a new one later. There WILL be other games to play, it's not like this is the last one ever.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2058650:date=Jan 10 2013, 02:13 AM:name=nSidia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nSidia @ Jan 10 2013, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not all of us live in tiny apartments bro. Door bell rings or you get a phone call well i guess your getting kicked. 5 mins is a joke just like you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're absolutely right. When my manservant tells me there's someone at the door it takes me atleast 2 minutes just to drive through the mansion with my dirt bike, then the obligatory 3 minutes of chatting with the supermodels (I only ever get visited by supermodels) before they go to wait for me in my bedroom, then another 2min drive back to my volcano lair AND I'M KICKED FROM THE SERVER WTF?!??
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058665:date=Jan 9 2013, 07:53 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Jan 9 2013, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058665"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're absolutely right. When my manservant tells me there's someone at the door it takes me atleast 2 minutes just to drive through the mansion with my dirt bike, then the obligatory 3 minutes of chatting with the supermodels (I only ever get visited by supermodels) before they go to wait for me in my bedroom, then another 2min drive back to my volcano lair AND I'M KICKED FROM THE SERVER WTF?!??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lmao I imagine the guy was being sarcastic or you just described his lifestyle. If it was my choice it would be 3 minutes before kick.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058653:date=Jan 9 2013, 04:19 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 9 2013, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Zek is absolutely right. If you need more than a few minutes then quit the game and join a new one later. There WILL be other games to play, it's not like this is the last one ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The entire point of a auto afk kick system is so you don't have 7 guys taking up slots that have been afk for a hour. Not to kick someone for taking a dump. 300 seconds is just stupid to be default. If your team cant pick up the slack while your gone then your team didn't have a chance anyways. + ever since release i have yet to play a good game. Even with my team mates playing it feels like there afk. NS2 isnt a game designed for pubs. It just doesn't work.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited January 2013
    Not all of us live to provide you with RR slots in NS2 either :)

If your doorbell rings, go be polite you f**k!

We need a better game start pattern too, the afk thing is only 50% of the problem.

PS: If you are whining about 300 seconds, next game you play, DONT JOIN FOR 5 MINS. See how appreciative your team is for you being non existant for the first, vital 5 mins.

Oh wait, that wouldn't work, in order for you not to f up the start of the game (which this is all about, not you going for a 10 min smoke at the 40 min mark, no one cares about that methinks) it would have to be alot less than 5 mins.

But please, keep whining about 5 mins being to short, it helps identify *just who it* is that thinks their need to defacate is more pressing than 20 other people gaming experience.

Interestingly, I don't give a ######e about your ######e.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2058613:date=Jan 10 2013, 10:01 AM:name=zenatsu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zenatsu @ Jan 10 2013, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If someone is AFK in the RR. That still hurts the server. Due to the fact that a server has Xmax clients. Where those X clients go (in team y1 or y2) dosnt matter. The slot is filled.

So if you have 3 AFK players in the RR, it hurts the server due to inactivity in the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the reason for the server filled var.

I agree that players that afk in a game for more than 2 minutes need to be kicked though (1 is too short, maybe the guy is just camping), or make it one minute and then you get a visual warning on your screen telling you to move or be moved to the RR (afk in team = kick to RR). Then after being afk in the RR for over 5 minutes with an 80% full server gets you kicked (50% is too low, afk's in RR when server is only half full attract more players, since players look for fuller servers rather than emptier ones).

EDIT: Only kick to RR if the game has started, if there's only 1 person in the server don't kick them off a team just because they alt tabbed waiting for people.
    <!--quoteo(post=2058676:date=Jan 9 2013, 05:16 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Jan 9 2013, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not all of us live to provide you with RR slots in NS2 either :)

If your doorbell rings, go be polite you f**k!

We need a better game start pattern too, the afk thing is only 50% of the problem.

PS: If you are whining about 300 seconds, next game you play, DONT JOIN FOR 5 MINS. See how appreciative your team is for you being non existant for the first, vital 5 mins.

Oh wait, that wouldn't work, in order for you not to f up the start of the game (which this is all about, not you going for a 10 min smoke at the 40 min mark, no one cares about that methinks) it would have to be alot less than 5 mins.

But please, keep whining about 5 mins being to short, it helps identify *just who it* is that thinks their need to defacate is more pressing than 20 other people gaming experience.

Interestingly, I don't give a ######e about your ######e.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because being down one player at the start of the game for 5 mins is going to be what fcks up the start of the game. Knowing the skill level of this community I think not.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Default is 5 minutes? Excellent, I was worried about getting kicked if I needed to "lighten my load."
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    lmao 50% default. meaning everyone has to do the work again.