Am I the only one to use Echo?

2»

Comments

• DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    I'll put it this way, if you have to echo things away from your hive to save them, you're not doing well and echo probably won't save you. If you have res to echo in a bunch of whips, you were going to win anyway. In the end, echo is pretty much a gimmicky move. I've seen hallucinations actually be useful a few times. Like if you send in a couple skulk and onos hallucinations to one base to make marines beacon, that's good. And the crag ability is really good actually, it heals an onos in about 4 seconds. So I wouldn't say that all the secondary abilities are useless and gimmicky, but I would say I've won many many many many games without ever using them.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited January 2013
    Fun times when Echo and Hallucations are actually pretty useful:

1) The moving garden: Spent quite a bit of res making that heal station for your aliens on the ground? Put echo on the shift and move the entire group up to the next location quickly without spending a lot of res dropping an entirely new set.

2) The bombard: Build bombard whips in your base in safety, send them in through teleportation powers.

3) The insanity defense: Exos coming in? Need to draw the fire so your skulks can tear them up? Send in hordes of skulk hallucinations and watch as the real skulks devour the attacking enemies. (This won a game for me.)

4) Ninja upgrades: Somebody out to ninja your upgrade buildings? Too bad they are even better ninjas. Echo the upgrades away to a safe location, and send the shift after them.

5) The sneaky beacon: Send in hallucinations to scare the enemy into an unnecessary beacon.

Feel free to think of some more, but I doubt these will see much use. Coincidentally, I'm still seeing people who don't know what hallucinations are.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Bombard and Echo can be used for more than fun.

Ink can be vital in situations and if *grumblemumble* comms go shade first I usually wish they would use ink more often.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use Ink whenever I can. To be honest, I've never actually seen it from the Marine's point of view.

Also, I highly disagree with those that are saying Hallucination is a "gimmick". Hallucination is a great upgrade, and people really should use it more often. Commanders just need to know how to use it properly.
  • MakenshiMakenshi Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057215:date=Jan 7 2013, 12:37 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Jan 7 2013, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, I highly disagree with those that are saying Hallucination is a "gimmick". Hallucination is a great upgrade, and people really should use it more often. Commanders just need to know how to use it properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ... Would be even better if they don't just beeline into enemy base and stand still after they reach the destination!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2057215:date=Jan 7 2013, 04:37 PM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Jan 7 2013, 04:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use Ink whenever I can. To be honest, I've never actually seen it from the Marine's point of view.

Also, I highly disagree with those that are saying Hallucination is a "gimmick". Hallucination is a great upgrade, and people really should use it more often. Commanders just need to know how to use it properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From a marine's pov? Looks like a graphics bug, VERY effective, like there's aids on my screen or something.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2057069:date=Jan 7 2013, 08:43 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 7 2013, 08:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem is that it's very much a luxury. The alien comm has a lot of important things to spend money on, and there are so few scenarios where these abilities could be considered indispensable. In a game that's actually close, i.e. alien victory is not already assured, the alien team will be lucky to consistently hold more than 4 Harvesters. With that amount of income you need to focus on things that are critical - hives, upgrades, abilities, replacing RTs, etc. When you're a little more flush you can focus on nice-to-have things like drifters, crag bases, whips, shift eggs, etc. All of those things take priority over abilities like Echo IMO with the current res costs. They need to be either cheaper or considerably more powerful if they're going to compete with the cost of the necessities.

When the aliens have a ton of money, all bets are off. Games like that are barely relevant because the comm can do anything and win at that point. In that case it's just a question of which means of ending the game is most effective, and Onos eggs win that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=2057107:date=Jan 7 2013, 10:03 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Jan 7 2013, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good post and yes, all the upgrade abilities are just gimmicks. I expect babblers will be too.

Part of me wants an energy system just so these things have a place, because they sure don't have one at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it a waste or a gimmick.

Try to imagine what having an Echo - Shift would be like for you in real life.. It could be in the fridge!
    You could Echo a cold beer right to your bedside without ever even stepping on the ground. You could have it in the car or at the office if you were the kind of person that would sometimes lock themselves out and shift the key to your person.
    The 'knack' to a good Kharaa Team and Stradegy is imagination! Team Two has speed as their advantage and it often pays as Alien to be spontaneous.
    I'm pretty certain the two of you are never going to get but as a word of advice: You should avoid making negative remarks about any element of this game as it will <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->ONLY<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> make <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->YOU<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> look <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->STUPID<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ZenuZenu Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72861Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Going a bit off topic, but I would prefer that hallucinations would move on their own that doesn't reguire khammander attention so much. Just buy some set of hallucinations on designated area and they move there randomly creating chaos and diversion :p. I feel there are more useful things khammander can do (like using drifters) while base is being sieged for example than moving manually hallucinations around and especially when they get so easily dispelled by scan.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2057229:date=Jan 6 2013, 10:07 PM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Jan 6 2013, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it a waste or a gimmick.

Try to imagine what having an Echo - Shift would be like for you in real life.. It could be in the fridge!
    You could Echo a cold beer right to your bedside without ever even stepping on the ground. You could have it in the car or at the office if you were the kind of person that would sometimes lock themselves out and shift the key to your person.
    The 'knack' to a good Kharaa Team and Stradegy is imagination! Team Two has speed as their advantage and it often pays as Alien to be spontaneous.
    I'm pretty certain the two of you are never going to get but as a word of advice: You should avoid making negative remarks about any element of this game as it will <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->ONLY<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> make <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->YOU<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> look <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->STUPID<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you not say things... It hurts the logic part of my brain...

You just argued that echo's are useful in real life, so they are useful in the game... Just... WTF...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Drifters are more powerful and cheaper than hallucinations. They can attack, they don't die by a scan and they have more hitpoints than most halus. Not to mention, that they get you more free time, because you don't need to watch the map for your troops.

Echo sounds good in theory and I will try this bombard-rush, but the opportunity costs are way to high. Even the upgrade-rescue seems not that useful, when I can just leave the hive and kill the marine near my upgrades. If the upgrade of the shift would be way cheaper, or would also increase the eggs spawned, maybe.

Whip Bombard does horrendous damage. Will remind myself to use them against exos next time.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057339:date=Jan 7 2013, 05:39 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jan 7 2013, 05:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drifters are more powerful and cheaper than hallucinations. They can attack, they don't die by a scan and they have more hitpoints than most halus. Not to mention, that they get you more free time, because you don't need to watch the map for your troops.

Echo sounds good in theory and I will try this bombard-rush, but the opportunity costs are way to high. Even the upgrade-rescue seems not that useful, when I can just leave the hive and kill the marine near my upgrades. If the upgrade of the shift would be way cheaper, or would also increase the eggs spawned, maybe.

Whip Bombard does horrendous damage. Will remind myself to use them against exos next time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Due to exos moving about when being hit by bombard whips, the whips don't tend to do their full damage. They do hit for around 100 each time, though.

They are reducing mature ability upgrade cost to 10 soon (down from 15).

The only thing that could make hallucinations better is giving them attack animations to really terrify marines.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056867:date=Jan 6 2013, 03:10 AM:name=Hunter.S.T.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hunter.S.T. @ Jan 6 2013, 03:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056867"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i use them a LOT on pubs, when you are holding 2 tech points with all upgrades but your higher life forms just dont seem to be cutting it. I especially like waiting for a marine push and then setting a whip to bombard the power node in 2 tech points at once, or set them on the phase gate as marine s push into a hive :D

it can be problematic trying to find the exact right spot to put a whip to ensure it targets what you want it to target, but when you pull it off it makes your whole team smile :D

not to mention echoing in your shift to your upgrades when they are under attack, and then echoing out the upgrades before they go down, SUPER useful and no one can claim that this isnt an economical use of resources.

AND a worthy mention for having your crag/shift forward station being able to echo in every crag forward to the next position you are trying to hold.

AND using them to echo in huge numbers of crags to a hive that is under heavy attack.

AND using them to echo in bombard whips to surprise the exo/arc push on your hive.

Really, i find shifts INCREDIBLY useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're a hero.

This is awesome. :D
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    The thing with all these abilities is that they are the very lowest priority and generally not worth using until you have res coming out of your ears, by which time the game is already won. Upgrades and lifeform eggs are just too important and the cost of all these (ink, hallucination, enzyme cloud) add up really fast.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2058324:date=Jan 9 2013, 04:12 AM:name=Ciro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ciro @ Jan 9 2013, 04:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2058324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're a hero.

This is awesome. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ahahah, glad u approve bro ;D
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057229:date=Jan 7 2013, 12:07 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Jan 7 2013, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... as a word of advice: You should avoid making negative remarks about any element of this game as it will <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->ONLY<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> make <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->YOU<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> look <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->STUPID<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, how about that optimization/net code/hit detection/undocumented changes?
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    I really really like Echo!
    Yes it's way too expensive at times, but still cheaper to move around your forward bases compared to building them all over the map (which also wears down server performance). Also there is no faster way to create forward bases, building them from scratch always poses the risk of getting all structures killed before they finish building.

Other good uses: Ninja a prebuild Shade to somewhere quickly or moving the Shift out of harms way in early game when you use it as an forward spawn.

I still wish we would reintroduce Energy on buildings for these kinds of things, that would make them far more useful and res efficient.

<!--quoteo(post=2057339:date=Jan 7 2013, 01:39 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jan 7 2013, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drifters are more powerful and cheaper than hallucinations. They can attack, they don't die by a scan and they have more hitpoints than most halus. Not to mention, that they get you more free time, because you don't need to watch the map for your troops.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In theory yes, in actual practice no and no. Halu Oni can be a great way to deliver cover for your real Oni. Spamming a Marine base with Onos Halu's often leads to Marines being confused about what to shoot, so after a while they won't even bother shooting an Onos until it's attacking something. Even if they keep shooting the Oni Halu's they will be forced to reload/resupply giving your real Oni an window of opportunity to maul the Marines.

And the most fun use: Scaring away rambo Marines that kill your stuff. That one time a Marine attacked one of my RT's in Lavafalls. I sent a single Onos Halu there. When the guy saw it he stopped attacking the RT, jumped into the Lava to suicide and said "HAH! No kill for you!". I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes straight after that xD

But just like with the Shift i believe having these kinds of abilities depend on building Energy would make way more sense.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057339:date=Jan 7 2013, 07:39 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jan 7 2013, 07:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even the upgrade-rescue seems not that useful, when I can just leave the hive and kill the marine near my upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've used it - <i>once</i> - as an upgrade rescue. You certainly don't use it against a rambo, that's just silly (dropping yourself a lerk egg and popping out to stop them would be a better use of roughly equivalent resources).

No, the one time I used it, marines were rolling in to the hive room with an exo or two. I hadn't even upgraded the shift yet, but managed to not only upgrade it, but also echo away all the upgrades before the marines got to them. I don't remember if we won the game or not though, it was quite a while ago.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    <!--quoteo(post=2056778:date=Jan 6 2013, 01:31 AM:name=slayer20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (slayer20 @ Jan 6 2013, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just had a 72 minute game and I was playing as the Alien Commander so I guess I got to experiment with this a little, and I found it to be amazing.

I placed a Shift in an area that was completely safe that wasn't a hive. I then created about 5 to 6 Whips and upgraded them all so they could use the Bombard ability. After that was all done, I just had to wait for the opportunity to place some cysts just right outside of their base so I could teleport the Whips and have them start wrecking stuff.

It worked really well too. Being able to amass whips and spawn them in one right after the other is great. You don't even have to unroot them or anything. Just need to place them right next to the Shift and wait a couple of seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have to wait the 100% maturity which is the second step.

2 hives, bile upgrade, 2 gorge and a lerk for diversion. No base, fortified or not can stand that kind of thing.
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    edited January 2013
    If you're going to build a random shift somewhere, or really anywhere, upgrading it for another 15 T.Res just gives you a tool you might want to use later. The very fact it's a teleporting unit that can teleport either itself or another unit <i>anywhere</i> you have infestation makes it potentially useful for a relatively small price. Not to mention that your teleporting unit can also lay alien eggs and gives infinite energy in a fairly large radius. I'd rank it's importance to no sooner than late mid-game, although there are exceptions to any rule. It's really more of a suggestion.

A Marines commander would probably feel more at home with the micromanagement required of using a single upgraded shift tactically, but used well there's no doubt it can let a good commander save T.Res by 'recycling' structures. It also lets you control the aliens spawn locations dynamically, although once again it will remain an expensive option simply due to it's immense versatility as a unit.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Even the Aliens <i>structures</i> are hit and run. At least, if you want them to be.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->