We need some fresh air

SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Becoming a bit claustrophobic</div>A feel a great edition to this game would be outdoor maps, and no i don't mean big open spaces but instead forests and jungles and outdoor open cave systems, as well as just outdoor city environment.

Am i the only one getting a bit tired of all the indoor hallways, all the maps feel exactly the same and the only thing setting them apart are places like Nano and Cargo and so on.

Not sure if this belongs here, but it is a suggestion.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    There is someone working on a map with outdoor areas, probably a bit bigger the Crevice (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123190&st=20" target="_blank">ns2_outpost</a>). However the engine has an enforced limitation where it cannot render players and structures beyond ~45 meters. Which is already visible in certain maps, Mineshaft Crushing room, Docking Departures, Refinery Lava Falls and Summit Crevice.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    some outdoor maps would be great addition.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    One trick with outdoor maps is placing believable boundaries on them. skulks can climb over anything, lerks can fly forever, the fade can teleport and jetpackers can fly too.
    How do you stop them from flying past the edge of an outdoor map?
  • Mister BlackMister Black Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173201Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2025774:date=Nov 16 2012, 10:48 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 16 2012, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is someone working on a map with outdoor areas, probably a bit bigger the Crevice (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123190&st=20" target="_blank">ns2_outpost</a>). However the engine has an enforced limitation where it cannot render players and structures beyond ~45 meters. Which is already visible in certain maps, Mineshaft Crushing room, Docking Departures, Refinery Lava Falls and Summit Crevice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would this be enforced by the engine and not by map? Is this something the devs would be willing to change? I can understand why you wouldn't want exceedingly open areas in official maps, but this is quite a restraint for map makers who want something more open or outlandish.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    You just have to break immersion.

Or it could be a small planet asteroid flying in space, so that if they fly to far aliens would drift into space.

But sometimes you gain more than you loose by breaking immersion a bit, sometimes you just have to have an invisible wall.

Its the same on the current maps, sometimes you crawl as a skulk in the open yards, you just hit an invisible walls.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034650:date=Nov 25 2012, 06:08 PM:name=Mister Black)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mister Black @ Nov 25 2012, 06:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would this be enforced by the engine and not by map? Is this something the devs would be willing to change? I can understand why you wouldn't want exceedingly open areas in official maps, but this is quite a restraint for map makers who want something more open or outlandish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's probably an optimization thing. Although, I do remember one awesome map from NS1 where you fought through a jungle filled with caves to get to the aliens. I miss that map.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034641:date=Nov 26 2012, 12:01 PM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Nov 26 2012, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you stop them from flying past the edge of an outdoor map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By intelligent map design.

Perhaps the outer perimeter has a defense network that destroy's ANYTHING trying trying to get away (ala Borderlands 2), due to a malfunction from the alien infestation and the marines are using their available technology to attempt to secure the bunker as they cannot fly in directly with a task force due to the defense network.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2034641:date=Nov 25 2012, 06:01 PM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Nov 25 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One trick with outdoor maps is placing believable boundaries on them. skulks can climb over anything, lerks can fly forever, the fade can teleport and jetpackers can fly too.
    How do you stop them from flying past the edge of an outdoor map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two words: Giant greenhouse.

EDIT: As an old school gamer, I'll take my gameplay over immersion any day of the week.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034685:date=Nov 26 2012, 01:40 AM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Nov 26 2012, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Two words: Giant greenhouse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

already working on it, keep crashing spark by adding too many leaves...
  • SuecoSueco Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166309Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025774:date=Nov 16 2012, 07:48 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 16 2012, 07:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is someone working on a map with outdoor areas, probably a bit bigger the Crevice (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123190&st=20" target="_blank">ns2_outpost</a>). However the engine has an enforced limitation where it cannot render players and structures beyond ~45 meters. Which is already visible in certain maps, Mineshaft Crushing room, Docking Departures, Refinery Lava Falls and Summit Crevice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easily avoidable by adding fog atmospheric effects.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034641:date=Nov 26 2012, 11:01 AM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Nov 26 2012, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One trick with outdoor maps is placing believable boundaries on them. skulks can climb over anything, lerks can fly forever, the fade can teleport and jetpackers can fly too.
    How do you stop them from flying past the edge of an outdoor map?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was going to just say "invisible walls"...you know like the ones that keep people like us out of the cool peoples parties ;)

But on a constructive note...crater that the map sits within which is created from impact of a planetary seeding probe...so you have huge cliff walls all around.

Though I still think the invisible walls are the better way ;P
  • Horror FoxHorror Fox Join Date: 2012-11-27 Member: 173396Members
    actually i think "outdoor maps/parts" will break the game.
    AVP(alien versus predator) is already broken due the balance issue so let alone the outdoor maps.
    Aliens will have a big advantage on those maps/parts and can easy take out the Marines. if some "areas" are outdoors. they will be probaly avoided by the marines most of the time - because they know they can easily get backstabbed or hidden whips placements, and this gives an extra advantage to the alien commander.
    so i say no.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    once upon a time in ns1 dev said that it is not appropriate to include outdoor locations

suddenly we have all kinds of lerk paradise.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about a map...where a marine spaceship is floating above a giant asteroid (which has a pool of water on the top), and you have the alien hive inside the asteroid, and marines have to jump OUT of the spaceship and fall down to the asteroid (apparently there IS gravity in space) in order to assault the hive. They have to aim for the water (which is inexplicably still liquid in the void of space) to avoid fall damage.

Similarly, the aliens could jump OUT of the asteroid and warp themselves to a point above the spaceship, where they'll literally rain from the sky. Except there is no sky.
  • Misterfat13Misterfat13 Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177649Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037288:date=Nov 29 2012, 10:30 AM:name=Gorgenapper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorgenapper @ Nov 29 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about a map...where a marine spaceship is floating above a giant asteroid (which has a pool of water on the top), and you have the alien hive inside the asteroid, and marines have to jump OUT of the spaceship and fall down to the asteroid (apparently there IS gravity in space) in order to assault the hive. They have to aim for the water (which is inexplicably still liquid in the void of space) to avoid fall damage.

Similarly, the aliens could jump OUT of the asteroid and warp themselves to a point above the spaceship, where they'll literally rain from the sky. Except there is no sky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This idea seems interesting, but what if the marine base was attached to the asteroid with legs of some kind? The marines climb down to the asteroid and the aliens climb up to the marine base.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034650:date=Nov 25 2012, 08:08 PM:name=Mister Black)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mister Black @ Nov 25 2012, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would this be enforced by the engine and not by map? Is this something the devs would be willing to change? I can understand why you wouldn't want exceedingly open areas in official maps, but this is quite a restraint for map makers who want something more open or outlandish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I understand correctly, the server just stops transmitting information about players that are that far away in order to reduce lag.

But as you said, perhaps it should be a map defined parameter. If nothing else, the mapper can just edit the lua and attach it with the map (assume it is a lua variable).
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    An outdoor map would be interesting but would never work, sadly.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    I think a major concern here is that decent alien players are incredibly reliant on the roof for sneaking/crawling/etc. It seems to me that almost any outdoor scenario, the marines would have a massive advantage due to the lack of roof-running and wall-to-roof-roof-to-wall-hopping so consistent with any sort of good alien (mainly skulk, which is the most important to consider for balance) play.

Am I missing something, or is this a valid concern? Also, I'm not sure it's fixable by 'smart map design'... it's a pretty inherent problem with the idea of an 'open sky'.

don't get me wrong, I love the idea of new maps of any kind, and i'm a big fan of the idea... it just won't work with any sense of balance, it seems to me.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    what about, instead of a solid invisible barrier, layers of increasingly "thin air".

A first layer of thin air gives a small ammount of dps, flying higher causes the player to experience thinner and thinner air with a higher and higher DPS until the player reaches an "insta kill" area.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    I think "claustrophobic" environnement are the whole point of these kind of games/movies.
    Can you imagine how boring the "Alien" movies would be if they were happening outdoors?

It's not that I don't want mappers or even UW to make outdoors map, I'm just saying, you'd be quickly bored of them. Be careful what you wish for.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037167:date=Nov 29 2012, 07:04 AM:name=Horror Fox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Horror Fox @ Nov 29 2012, 07:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->actually i think "outdoor maps/parts" will break the game.
    AVP(alien versus predator) is already broken due the balance issue so let alone the outdoor maps.
    Aliens will have a big advantage on those maps/parts and can easy take out the Marines. if some "areas" are outdoors. they will be probaly avoided by the marines most of the time - because they know they can easily get backstabbed or hidden whips placements, and this gives an extra advantage to the alien commander.
    so i say no.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I beg to differ, as an alien I hate big-arse rooms because of the whole melee vs ranged type thing. A decent marine(s) or a screw up on your part will get you killed a mile away before you can do anything. It negates the alien speed too, aliens are fast because they have to close the distance and do damage to a marine at all while marines can harm you at ANY range.
    Yeah there's lerk spikes and gorge spit, but rifles still do more damage and pitsols are more accurate at longer ranges. And being forced to go camo every time because of map design ruins the strategy aspect and adds predictability to aliens.

All in all a bigger room just gives more time for marines to react and have aliens killed long before they could have a chance to do the same.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2037288:date=Nov 29 2012, 12:30 PM:name=Gorgenapper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gorgenapper @ Nov 29 2012, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2037288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about a map...where a marine spaceship is floating above a giant asteroid (which has a pool of water on the top), and you have the alien hive inside the asteroid, and marines have to jump OUT of the spaceship and fall down to the asteroid (apparently there IS gravity in space) in order to assault the hive. They have to aim for the water (which is inexplicably still liquid in the void of space) to avoid fall damage.

Similarly, the aliens could jump OUT of the asteroid and warp themselves to a point above the spaceship, where they'll literally rain from the sky. Except there is no sky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Apparently in space, a Lerk can Hovar without Flapping...
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    gotta love these levels when 1% of the room is safe after a lerk spores up the room....