>>>SURRENDER OPTION NEEDED<<<<

StryfeKingStryfeKing Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165581Members
Too many games last an hour to two hours longer than they should...

Ive joined games where teams are down to one hive/command station have 0 resources and the other team has full exos/onos and just farm kills or are just clueless on how to end the game.

Ive had games where 6/8 want the game to end and two do not and constantly stop the hive/command station death and then prolong the game HOURS longer than it should.

Please install and surrender option, I dont care what the ratio to surrender needs to be but it has to be in this game.

Comments

• xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    This would be nice. In starcraft, you dont have to wait until your opponent kills all of your structures. If it's a lost battle, there should be a surrender at 20 vote, similar to lol with an 80% agreement with the team.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Is jumping to the Ready Room with F4 not working as a concede system?
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    press F4 or as marien just sell all your stuff.
    but sometimes people just wantto fight.

I had a very fun game with 4 or 5 gorges securing the last hive. hydras and clogs OP =D took them 20-30 minutes to breach us with Full upgrades (dual exo, GL, JP, 3/3)

greetings
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i like the F4 system, but the game doesn't seem to end when the team balance is off - sometimes you have 1 person left fighting while everyone else is in the ready room waiting.

but i guess the more people that F4 the faster the other team wins (unless they are useless lol)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005241:date=Nov 1 2012, 03:16 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 1 2012, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like the F4 system, but the game doesn't seem to end when the team balance is off - sometimes you have 1 person left fighting while everyone else is in the ready room waiting.

but i guess the more people that F4 the faster the other team wins (unless they are useless lol)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh. We need to reimplement that server variable then. NS1 there was the autoconcede variable.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    Hehe or you could f4 and join the other team.
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    By default most servers will auto conceed when a team has 60% less players then other team. So surrender on 10v4. All you need to do is f4
  • ChocoBeastoChocoBeasto Join Date: 2012-10-08 Member: 161864Members
    Surrender option needed +1
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is an auto-concede functionality, it's something like if there's a 60% player difference then end the game. the server can configure the difference. Might be that servers don't have it set up or the default is too much of a difference though.
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    edited November 2012
    Agree with OP. The problem with the whole F4 deal is that half the people won't listen (it's the internet, who knows) and then a quarter of the people quit because the game is over but will last a lot longer.

*edit* I can see this option being trolled, though.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    there is a surredner system called f4. and if people do not have the will to fight they wont help you at all most likely even if u keep them in the game not letting them to quit (! SAO).

really this is the first time i heard this in 10 years.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    While it's getting to that concede point, players on the winning team will begin getting forced into the autobalance mode and some will jump over thereby extending the game. Also just pressing F4 rather than having an anonymous vote can leave you out in the cold with some people on either side calling you out as "rage quitting". More often than not, F4's finishing the game is a result of the cascading effect of players feeling like it's less and less possible to come back and following through with the ready room action rather than an upfront group consensus that the game is lost.

I don't understand the resistance for a concede vote praising the ready room system. Obviously it's not sufficient otherwise it wouldn't be continuously brought up.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007746:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:38 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Nov 3 2012, 03:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While it's getting to that concede point, players on the winning team will begin getting forced into the autobalance mode and some will jump over thereby extending the game. Also just pressing F4 rather than having an anonymous vote can leave you out in the cold with some people on either side calling you out as "rage quitting". More often than not, F4's finishing the game is a result of the cascading effect of players feeling like it's less and less possible to come back and following through with the ready room action rather than an upfront group consensus that the game is lost.

I don't understand the resistance for a concede vote praising the ready room system. Obviously it's not sufficient otherwise it wouldn't be continuously brought up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this guy. I don't know the community's position on surrender when it comes to these forums, but the people in game generally want one.

I like seeing how long I can hold out; how many Onos' I can kill with a rifle, but sometimes you just want the round to end.

So perhaps, stick in a feature whereby if 50% of the team surrender, it;s a done deal.

"BUT JUST PRESS F4". I've tried telling people to do so, and then doing it myself, but people don't follow. It's like the democrats and republicans. Truthfully most people don't want either party in power, but people vote for them because they think that is their only option - they don't trust other people to take the "risk" of a third party. In this analogy, that is f4.

So stick in a simple surrender plugin, so people can do it without worrying nobody else will.
  • TehSlenderManTehSlenderMan Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177361Members
    A surrender option is much more than necessary to have, especially in a game like this one. Please implement this!
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
  • ViajeroViajero Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160238Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2005223:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:03 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Nov 1 2012, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... or as marien just sell all your stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Precisely. As Marine the comm has full control as to when to give up. He can unilaterally, and with no vote, sell everything at any time. In essence this is equivalent to the Marine comm having a surrender button, so why not just actually code it?

Have the same surrender button coded for the Alien comm and away we go.

The Marine commander has full control about surrendering atm. No need for vote, why not apply that philosophy for both races with a specific surrender option button for both comms only?

Having that surrender option explicitely available for both comms makes everyone aware that the final decission is on the Comm´s hand, which is where I think it should be. And if a given player doesnt agree with his comm not surrendering then that player can always hit F4 so no one is forced to do anything they dont like. If a majority of a comm´s team players hits F4 then the result will be eventually the same anyways. No vote needed.
  • Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    A surrender system is really important. The problems with the F4 system is this- if a few people F4 out, and a few want to stay, the experience is ruined for those that stay, because they have no chance. A commander can do the same by selling his own structures, but this has the same problem. Just because the commander wants to GG, the entire team might not agree.

A surrender option is <i>really</i> important and shouldn't be that hard to implement. A simple message in the chat that says something like "(Whatever Player) tried to surrender. Type /surrender to surrender, 5 Votes Needed".
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    It's a double-edged sword. Those servers that already run surrender vote modifications show me again and again how unsatisfying the feature is.

As soon as aliens lose their second Hive that they tried to rush in the first few minutes of the game, they surrender - "failed our high risk, high reward strategy, so let's give up and restart the round, effectively nullifying the risk part".
    Same as marines tend to surrender as soon as they notice that aliens got a third Hive up without getting really contested in areas where the marines would like to do so. Even though the marines actually have a second Command Station and can get Exos.

The result is that many matches end already before they can even get really going. Getting lategame tech on the field is rare, you don't get to use all the cool stuff and instead play round after round with mostly default weapons and low res lifeforms.

While having a surrender vote makes it easier to stay in the game if not everyone agrees, it makes it generally more easy to concede defeat than just pressing F4 from a psychological perspective. And if a surrender vote doesn't pass, there are still many people who will F4 to end it then.
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    edited January 2013
    Stupid discussion - people asking for a concede vote arent asking for a mechanic with which to concede (f4), theyre asking for visual notification to all users and in-game validation that conceding is acceptable. This is to stop one or two people from "hanging on" and stopping the game ending, and to stop it looking like a ragequit and having people cop flak.

There is no reason not to formalize whats already here, provide feedback to the user, and make it easier for rookies to come to terms with how games play. I can only assume people are trolling who argue against it. The only issue is taking up dev time, which is a non issue as its such a small change.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2005086:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:54 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Nov 1 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005086"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is jumping to the Ready Room with F4 not working as a concede system?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    qft.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2013
    I say this every time a 'surrender' thread is brought up and people say "just f4" - f4 is a less than ideal surrender system.

It works if the majority want to surrender - as it forces a concede under this scenario.

However, if the majority DON'T want to surrender, then there's no reason why those who want to keep on playing should be punished into playing with imbalanced teams. Whilst the f4ers might not want to be forced to play a losing game, if they're a minority, they shouldn't force the game to end for the others wanting to play by creating an even bigger imbalance in a losing game. Chances are if the majority don't want to f4, then good teamwork could (not 'will') turn the tables, and f4ing deprives them of that opportunity. The minority effectively decide it for the majority in this situation, which should never happen.

The only benefit of f4ing (over a surrender system) is if you think your opinion is worth more than everybody elses and want the power for you and 1 or 2 of your buddies to put a stop to a game in progress when everybody else wants to continue. You might not want to be 'forced' into continue a losing game (and you won't if the majority agrees), but there is another side of that coin - "not wanting the game to be forced to a close". And there's no reason why one should be more important than the other. The only 'fair' thing to do is leave it to a majority vote.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    To many people 'SURRENDER' to soon, already.
    What we need is <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126741" target="_blank">Super Weopons!</a>
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2056370:date=Jan 5 2013, 05:59 AM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Jan 5 2013, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I say this every time a 'surrender' thread is brought up and people say "just f4" - f4 is a less than ideal surrender system.

It works if the majority want to surrender - as it forces a concede under this scenario.

However, if the majority DON'T want to surrender, then there's no reason why those who want to keep on playing should be punished into playing with imbalanced teams. Whilst the f4ers might not want to be forced to play a losing game, if they're a minority, they shouldn't force the game to end for the others wanting to play by creating an even bigger imbalance in a losing game. Chances are if the majority don't want to f4, then good teamwork could (not 'will') turn the tables, and f4ing deprives them of that opportunity. The minority effectively decide it for the majority in this situation, which should never happen.

The only benefit of f4ing (over a surrender system) is if you think your opinion is worth more than everybody elses and want the power for you and 1 or 2 of your buddies to put a stop to a game in progress when everybody else wants to continue. You might not want to be 'forced' into continue a losing game (and you won't if the majority agrees), but there is another side of that coin - "not wanting the game to be forced to a close". And there's no reason why one should be more important than the other. The only 'fair' thing to do is leave it to a majority vote.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And what prevents the minority of surrender vote from F4 after the vote fails? Because that is exactly what is happening currently. A surrender vote doesn't change one bit about the circumstances that you will lose players as soon as some feel that the match has been decided, regardless of what the majority of their team wants.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056614:date=Jan 5 2013, 04:35 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 5 2013, 04:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And what prevents the minority of surrender vote from F4 after the vote fails? Because that is exactly what is happening currently. A surrender vote doesn't change one bit about the circumstances that you will lose players as soon as some feel that the match has been decided, regardless of what the majority of their team wants.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're absolutely right - it won't stop people from F4ing or even just disconnecting from the server. It's better than nothing though. At least if there are admins on, after a surrender vote fails, if people f4 they can be told not to idle the ready room and to join up, as the majority has spoken.

Hell, why not prevent people f4ing altogether (i.e. only have readyroom when you connect and when a game finishes or a new map). Or, prevent people f4ing after a vote fails (the surrender side). Or, merely prevent the people who voted for the surrender from f4ing. Although those measures don't prevent disconnecting/reconnecting. Personally I'd rather keep f4 in anyway, and just have admins deal with anybody being a baby about a failed surrender vote.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I rather have a proper surrender option like some server plugins do than have people F4, which then enables the dreadful Team Balance.
  • Lt.RealnessLt.Realness Join Date: 2004-03-17 Member: 27379Members
    it's "Natural Selection"....there is no way to surrender!