Remove chair requirements?

LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
edited January 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
For more strategy possibilities? Maybe keep the requirement for Onos/Exo(but maybe for 2 bases). But seeing an early Fade/Jetpack-Shotgunner can make early game much more dynamic and risk/rewardy.

I don't think commander have alot of choices on how to do super early game, just thinking this will spice it up. Expand or give a player an advantage to do alot of early damage.

of course reduce the cost of eggs/weapons

Comments

• current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055335:date=Jan 3 2013, 10:07 AM:name=Lingos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lingos @ Jan 3 2013, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For more strategy possibilities? Maybe keep the requirement for Onos/Exo(but maybe for 2 bases). But seeing an early Fade/Jetpack-Shotgunner can make early game much more dynamic and risk/rewardy.

I don't think commander have alot of choices on how to do super early game, just thinking this will spice it up. Expand or give a player an advantage to do alot of early damage.

of course reduce the cost of eggs/weapons<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People can go fade rather quick as it is and I don't think I want to see 7 marines with a endless supply of jetpacks in a late game scenario when marines are turteling in their last base. IMO some things need to be reworked on the alien side and possible make A/W3 a chair 2 requirement for marines but removing the requirements completely would be insane.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    All of these were tested in beta, trust me, what you have now works way better. :) x
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--fonto:Impact--><span style="font-family:Impact"><!--/fonto--><b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->BRING BACK THE 6 MIN ONOS!!!!!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    bring back the battery pack phase gate shotty rush
    <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Bring back my Mother#£^&ing Bonnie!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp_vkZkMQNU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp_vkZkMQNU</a>
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bring back rifle + grenade attachment
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055359:date=Jan 3 2013, 08:56 AM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Jan 3 2013, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bring back rifle + grenade attachment<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How did that work exactly? Was it an upgrade or was it default?
    It was just super retardedly op ... no longer was a GL weak to anything.... but amazing at everything...
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually loved the LMG + GL attachment haha. Though it was definitely OP, there was no need for any other weapon. You'd just upgrade to get your GL attachment and that was pretty much it.

See a group of skulks running at you? No problem, drop a grenade, start shooting them all. BEWM all dead, oh? You have one running away? Toss a grenade his way, the AOE will kill him. :P
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bring back the amazing tactics of ns1
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    And what if the GL attachment would only be able to fire 1 round before having to reload? And carry only 3-4 ammo? Don't replace the dedicated GL but add the attachment as slightly cheaper version that is more situational and combat oriented, like clearing a corner with a grenade before going there?
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2055377:date=Jan 3 2013, 11:58 AM:name=kalakuja)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalakuja @ Jan 3 2013, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bring back the amazing tactics of ns1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And I want a unicorn that vomits rainbows and craps skittles.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055378:date=Jan 3 2013, 05:00 PM:name=CrushaK)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrushaK @ Jan 3 2013, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055378"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And what if the GL attachment would only be able to fire 1 round before having to reload? And carry only 3-4 ammo? Don't replace the dedicated GL but add the attachment as slightly cheaper version that is more situational and combat oriented, like clearing a corner with a grenade before going there?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats how it worked, it was OP.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    wasn't it OP because the grenade exploded on impact, hit or miss?
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055409:date=Jan 3 2013, 09:38 AM:name=pallie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pallie @ Jan 3 2013, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wasn't it OP because the grenade exploded on impact, hit or miss?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no it was op because it was extremely effective at everything.

Right now, GLs are bad at defending themselves. Image if you could switch to rifle from GL at anytime.

Now GLers don't need support. You can just have a team of rifle+gl marines.

Even if you nerf the fire rate or clip size of the gl, it is pretty op because it doesn't have any down sides.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    Definitely couldn't do this for jetpacks with their current cost and functionality.

Later in a match (<i>after </i>research) I always felt like JP/SingleExo should be available at double cost if you're down to 1 chair, to open up the possibility of a push immediately after losing a chair -- however I first thing they need to address the Marine Eternal 1-Tech Holdout problem before they do this.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055454:date=Jan 3 2013, 02:10 PM:name=Axehilt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axehilt @ Jan 3 2013, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] however I first thing they need to address the Marine Eternal 1-Tech Holdout problem before they do this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe this is behavioral and not anything to do with game code.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055459:date=Jan 3 2013, 11:18 AM:name=MMZ_Torak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MMZ_Torak @ Jan 3 2013, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe this is behavioral and not anything to do with game code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

doesn't mean the behavior can't be corrected with good game design. Aliens need some way to completely steam roll when they have a big res advantage.

Marines can funnel infinite res into an assault (med packs) and ensure they win.

Aliens have no way of doing the same thing. After a certain point aliens can't spend any more res to gain an offensive advantage.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055497:date=Jan 3 2013, 03:21 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Jan 3 2013, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->doesn't mean the behavior can't be corrected with good game design. Aliens need some way to completely steam roll when they have a big res advantage.

Marines can funnel infinite res into an assault (med packs) and ensure they win.

Aliens have no way of doing the same thing. After a certain point aliens can't spend any more res to gain an offensive advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Much like you can't legislate morality, you can't code proper behavior. People get timid, or selfish as the game ends. They start to suffer from an RTS sickness I like to call Researchitis; they have to tech up everything, build in all available spots. Marines are usually more guilty of this than aliens but you do see it on both sides. Also, everyone wants to be the Hero, no one wants to be the first into the fray for fear of dying. Teamwork starts to slack off as people start to "do their won thing" more. The other side of the conflict, being locked into a single room, are FORCED into teamwork like no time before in the round. Conversely the opposite side of the conflict gets less teamwork because they feel the game is over.

Aliens do have the ability to spend more res to win; they can set up crags and shifts very close to the marine spawn to reinforce faster, and heal faster. I don't see this often enough. Also, if one or two gorges stop healing the Onos and bile bomb in support of the offensive, the game will end faster.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Map control should be important. Marines that can only hold one tech point are losing and should not have access to endgame tech. It's especially critical to the health of the game that the marine team not be rewarded for playing too defensively. I will admit that the second CC requirement does feel arbitrary since the CC does not have any actual function in and of itself, but that's just a minor complaint.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2055349:date=Jan 3 2013, 08:31 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Jan 3 2013, 08:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Impact--><span style="font-family:Impact"><!--/fonto--><b><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->BRING BACK THE 6 MIN ONOS!!!!!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

RIP. It's not missed at all. IMO the game as it is is pretty good re: commander drops.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    ive been thinking about this lately. it would be cool to bring back the last ditch tamp-nade lol
    <!--quoteo(post=2055515:date=Jan 3 2013, 03:53 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Jan 3 2013, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Map control should be important. Marines that can only hold one tech point are losing and should not have access to endgame tech. It's especially critical to the health of the game that the marine team not be rewarded for playing too defensively. I will admit that the second CC requirement does feel arbitrary since the CC does not have any actual function in and of itself, but that's just a minor complaint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've thought of it like an additional server in the farm. Too many things going on for one server to handle all the upgrades, buildings, weapons, etc.