No-twitch mod?

LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
I like this game but I cant stand twitch gameplay. The overall concept of the game is enough to keep me playing though.

So basically is there a twitch-free mod of this game in planning? (no bunny hop for marines, recoil on rifle, maybe a grip in armory to make it no recoil again)

Something similar to this would definitely reach out to a different audience

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqoylBGHyA" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEqoylBGHyA</a>

Now I know if we do try to change gameplay like this for marines then we obviously need to buff overall damage marines can put out and slightly lessen the offensive capabilities of the aliens (decrease overall damage, increase energy to leap, how long Fade can blink)

I am an Arma 2/DayZ/Red Orchestra 2/Darkest Hour 44-45 guy, so I am accustomed to whoever gets the jump on somebody, the jumper wins, with relatively little influence of in the heat battle skills. Not whoever can spam spacebar and have super hand eye coordination.

Comments

• d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Marines can't bunnyhop. They can jump once, and then the ground turns to taffy/quicksand. "Spamming the spacebar" does nothing as marines and is probably the worst thing you can do to evade attacks next to standing perfectly still.

Recoil on rifles will make it incredibly difficult to hit skulks at all. You could increase the damage to compensate, but then suddenly, coordinated fire would become too powerful, because as soon as a hallway turns into a sea of bullets, nothing will survive.
  • LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054051:date=Dec 31 2012, 11:50 PM:name=d0ped0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (d0ped0g @ Dec 31 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054051"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines can't bunnyhop. They can jump once, and then the ground turns to taffy/quicksand. "Spamming the spacebar" does nothing as marines and is probably the worst thing you can do to evade attacks next to standing perfectly still.

Recoil on rifles will make it incredibly difficult to hit skulks at all. You could increase the damage to compensate, but then suddenly, coordinated fire would become too powerful, because as soon as a hallway turns into a sea of bullets, nothing will survive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are other things you can do to find an equilibrium, decrease speed of skulks, enable a safety when the hitscan detector detects a friendly player. coordinated fire should be powerful, especially with all the ways skulks can ambush marines. Not like aliens don't have powerful initiation/cut-off tools.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Fair enough. I also forgot you were posting on the modding forums rather than suggesting this should be part of the core gameplay (why I pretty much simply said "no" at your suggestions).

I wouldn't mind seeing somebody experiment with adding recoil. I only added the bit about coordinated fire because there's already a problem with this at increasing playercounts, and it would cause an even greater shift in balance at high population servers in the marine's favour. Experimenting with a mod with this kind of stuff would definitely change the way the game works a lot. Currently, marine vs skulk works well because marines are good at shooting things from a distance, and skulks are hard to hit (due to high speed and small hitbox). Throwing a spanner into that dynamic would be a difficult feat, although I'd like to see somebody try, if only out of curiosity.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    A dumbed down version of ns2?

Might be a market for it... for all those people that are used to auto-aim

how does it work for alien team? it just auto latches on to players?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    ogz, did you even read his post?
    He wants recoil and stuff that punish twitch-aiming. Obviously this would give aliens a significant advantage, but as he says, with the correct tweaks it might become good.

I hate recoil which works by shaking your aimangles, so if someone were to implement recoil I hope it would be in the form of spread. Might be fun to try out some time at least.

About jumping marines, there actually is an advantage with it in combat. I often jump over railings or crates, as it tend to make the skulk path more predictable and often confuses them as to where I went.
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    I can see where you're coming from OP (a different skillset) but what you dont realize is *nobody* has the ns2 skillset down until they have played ns2. Name one other team-based strategy-heavy game where the main mechanic is firing while tracking things moving insanely fast at a rapidly closing distance? Few FPS titles exist with similar style to marine gameplay, let alone skulking, fading, commanding, etc.

You'll notice the only server-side mods that people are playing (for the most part) are those that dont affect gameplay. There arent many gameplay mods running regular servers, with the exception of *slight* game-play mods that many novices dont notice are running, a'la voogru.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This could be an interesting mod!
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I get where you're coming from, as Fiveseven said it's just a difference in play style. Who knows, maybe this "no-twitch mod" is NS2's DayZ.

Could also ask for a Arma mod to make it more twitch-y (hate this word).
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Name one other team-based strategy-heavy game where the main mechanic is firing while tracking things moving insanely fast at a rapidly closing distance?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2054787:date=Jan 2 2013, 10:34 AM:name=fiveseven)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fiveseven @ Jan 2 2013, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll notice the only server-side mods that people are playing (for the most part) are those that dont affect gameplay. There arent many gameplay mods running regular servers, with the exception of *slight* game-play mods that many novices dont notice are running, a'la voogru.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't actually looked hard, but I haven't noticed <i>any</i> gameplay mods except Combat Mode on a bunch of servers and the res for kill thing on Voogru. I suspect these mods are out there, but nobody can find them because the server select UI does not reveal which mods are on which servers. IMHO, you should be able to filter by mod names (blacklist, whitelist, etc) and see a list of all mods on the server you are considering joining. The mods in the list could be linked directly to the steam workshop page for the mod. Would make it much easier to pick a new server.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2054869:date=Jan 2 2013, 08:12 PM:name=MinstrelJCF)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MinstrelJCF @ Jan 2 2013, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054869"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What about the Quake (and HLdm) and Unreal series :P
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054877:date=Jan 3 2013, 04:33 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jan 3 2013, 04:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about the Quake (and HLdm) and Unreal series :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I played UT99 and some quake, and kicked around on hl:dm for a laugh, but it still doesnt feel the same as NS marines (to me). Sure, no recoil, fast paced, but targets move different, positioning is different, movement is different.

On second thoughts, some serious sam 1 maps on hardest difficulty coop are probably the closest example i can think of to NS marines. People covering each other with insane amounts of enemies ensuring the players are spinning around and combat ends up being close quarters quite often. What a great game :)
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    quake 1 definately and tf is like that

maybe i misunderstood what twitch aiming is

i assume keeping crosshair on a skulk while firing eg lmg is tracking?
    shotgun where you only need the crosshair on a skulk for a split second is 'twitch aim'?
  • LingosLingos Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176896Members
    edited January 2013
    I just feel like, I like atmosphere in my game, at first, I was mesmerized, thinking I could die at any moment in this game. Now that feeling is gone, I know if someone gets the jump on me if I am marine or CQC as alien, it transitions to a mini-game of dodging while aiming.

I mean alot of people appreciate that obviously, but I wouldn't mind taking that mini-game out.
  • KovenKoven Join Date: 2007-04-20 Member: 60677Members, Constellation
    edited January 2013
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    fyi recoil rewards twitch play.

*To actually get rid of twitch gameplay you must
    -Add mouse smoothing
    -set maxfps to 30. Lower is preferable.
    -Increase weapon switch speed
    -Add alot of camera motion and crosshair movement while moving. Preferably, this takes a few seconds to fully dissipate after you stop moving
    -Add additional crosshair/camera motion from breathing and a hold breath button.
    -Add iron sights that take a long time to switch to and from
    -Disable iron sights if you have no energy (from sprinting or holding your breath or whatever)
    -Add prone and reduce mouse sensitivity when proned
    -Pause game and add scrolling ingame cinematic everytime you encounter an enemy player
    -Tie weapon accuracy to marine energy
    -For aliens, disable mouselook everytime you initiate an attack for its duration.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2056369:date=Jan 5 2013, 03:55 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jan 5 2013, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fyi recoil rewards twitch play.

*To actually get rid of twitch gameplay you must
    -Add mouse smoothing
    -set maxfps to 30. Lower is preferable.
    -Increase weapon switch speed
    -Add alot of camera motion and crosshair movement while moving. Preferably, this takes a few seconds to fully dissipate after you stop moving
    -Add additional crosshair/camera motion from breathing and a hold breath button.
    -Add iron sights that take a long time to switch to and from
    -Disable iron sights if you have no energy (from sprinting or holding your breath or whatever)
    -Add prone and reduce mouse sensitivity when proned
    -Pause game and add scrolling ingame cinematic everytime you encounter an enemy player
    -Tie weapon accuracy to marine energy
    -For aliens, disable mouselook everytime you initiate an attack for its duration.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh you've summed up console gaming quite nicely.

Frankly, I think there is potential for a mod with less "twitchy" gameplay with mechanics such as:
    -Reduced (marine) accuracy when moving the crosshair too quickly.
    -Reduced movement speed when taking damage.
    -Reduce damage of weapons/abilities overall.

Then the game would have a slower pace.

The real challenge would be adding interesting and challenging elements to the game.