Marine tool - Personal Recall Device

AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
This would be something that can be researched at the protolab. Basically, it would be a personal beacon device that would bring you back to the protolab you bought it from. Would cost to research and would cost to by and like jetpacks it would be lost on death. Something like 20 res to research and 10 or 15 res to purchase. It would have a 3 second countdown and any action or damage taken by the marine would cancel it. It would also have a cool down of maybe a minute between uses.

Just and idea I had and thought I would share.

Comments

• ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    It has the unfortunate characteristic of having a completely unknown potential impact.

It could, potentially, save the entire game, allowing the marine who uses it to kill the gorge about to destroy the power node.

On the other hand, it could never be required, or it could be rendered obsolete by the commander using the Observatories Distress Beacon every time the base is in peril.

This doesn't necessarily make it a bad mechanic per se, but it does make it very unlikely that players will purchase it. Not without a very low cost of below 5 res. Players are typically very reluctant to spend a great deal of resources on something if they can't at least estimate its usefulness.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I was thinking about such a device when I was trapped on top of the drill bit in repair by two onii. We had been beaconed there too late to save our comm chair and the onii killed everyone else. I watch the hive go up and whips / shades spring up everywhere around me. The two onii were jumping on each other to try and get me and I was out of GL ammo. Such a device would have been handy to have.

The other use I can imagine for it, might make it a bit O.P. Grab a jet pack, Flamer and set off to a hive killing nothing till you get there. Take out some upgrades, maybe even the hive its self. Any sign of trouble and you teleport back to safety not losing any res.
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054609:date=Jan 2 2013, 03:22 AM:name=Seahunts)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Seahunts @ Jan 2 2013, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking about such a device when I was trapped on top of the drill bit in repair by two onii. We had been beaconed there too late to save our comm chair and the onii killed everyone else. I watch the hive go up and whips / shades spring up everywhere around me. The two onii were jumping on each other to try and get me and I was out of GL ammo. Such a device would have been handy to have.

The other use I can imagine for it, might make it a bit O.P. Grab a jet pack, Flamer and set off to a hive killing nothing till you get there. Take out some upgrades, maybe even the hive its self. Any sign of trouble and you teleport back to safety not losing any res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The second situation is why I thought to add the 3 second delay and the cancellation if the marine does anything or gets hit by something.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    A tool that spawns an armory is better imo.

Infinite ammo and armor and health?? who wouldnt want that??
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    it can be a bit O.P as mentioned above how about that it costs pres to use it? 5-10 maybe? it will limit or stop players players from using it to attack hives an porting out of there unless the team is swimming in res or the marine is really smart in his pres usage and waits for this to happen and it has to be a 2 or 3 comm chair ability to make it less mid-game game over for the aliens and if the aliens take out a comm chair the PRD is useless and the marine trying to save the comm chair tries to port out is doomed
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2054876:date=Jan 2 2013, 01:28 PM:name=sHawke_Native)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sHawke_Native @ Jan 2 2013, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2054876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it can be a bit O.P as mentioned above how about that it costs pres to use it? 5-10 maybe? it will limit or stop players players from using it to attack hives an porting out of there unless the team is swimming in res or the marine is really smart in his pres usage and waits for this to happen and it has to be a 2 or 3 comm chair ability to make it less mid-game game over for the aliens and if the aliens take out a comm chair the PRD is useless and the marine trying to save the comm chair tries to port out is doomed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Adding a res cost wouldn't be bad. It already is a 2chair thing because it comes from the protolab.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    I think NS¹ had this for the aliens where they could auto-teleport to the Hive while on low health with a count-down.
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    Imbalanxd wrote: »
    It has the unfortunate characteristic of having a completely unknown potential impact.

It could, potentially, save the entire game, allowing the marine who uses it to kill the gorge about to destroy the power node.

On the other hand, it could never be required, or it could be rendered obsolete by the commander using the Observatories Distress Beacon every time the base is in peril.

This doesn't necessarily make it a bad mechanic per se, but it does make it very unlikely that players will purchase it. Not without a very low cost of below 5 res. Players are typically very reluctant to spend a great deal of resources on something if they can't at least estimate its usefulness.

I for one absolutely love this idea, as a marine I'm not particularly good at killing higher life forms but what i am good at is sneaking in a phase gate and there are times where i have been in a hive ready to drop the gate and suddenly been informed of a pack headed my way or that a friendly badly needs backup and I'm unable to get to them so even if it cost me 5 res to beacon myself out of there for whatever reason in necessary I would get this as appose to a JP for my ninja missions.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd buy the crap out of this even if it costed 15. For laughs.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i thought of a similar idea a sort of portable recal device, you deploy it where ever you like and then use the lat fire remote to teleport back to it, so you could palce it anywhere then use it to return to that point however there would be a few second recal time where you have to remain stationary.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lets turn the idea around and make it a beacon device you can place anywhere on the map and when activated the whole team will teleport there. Fuck phasegates.