Support the server operators

ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Community Ban List</div>Recently a initiative to start tracking problem users has been started. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125926&st=0&start=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t=0&start=0</a>

I am requesting the players help to assist in populating data into our database. If you spot a problem player (spam, resource recycle, continued ejecting comm, etc) please get the players name, Steam ID, and a screen shot to support your entry. Log into our online system, submit the players information, and upload your screen shot!

Our goal is to give server operators the best chances for finding problem players and by doing so making everyone's gaming experience better.

For feedback, problems, questions etc feel free to PM me.

Comments

• RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Everyone grab the pitch forks and torches, its witch hunting time!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eh... I don't really trust the judgment of a random collection of server operators to hold that much power. Are there really these people who grief games continuously over a long period of time? And don't play on official servers?
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Man, I can't see anything going wrong with something like this.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048227:date=Dec 19 2012, 05:36 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 19 2012, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Man, I can't see anything going wrong with something like this.

-Victor Frankenstein<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed that for you. ;)
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    well, for one
    a single person holds little power -

The idea, if you read my explanation, is the power comes from the many. Server operators are currently running their own servers, banning who they see fit. This simply takes the collective mind and lets server ops communicate who they banned (by steam ID) with each other. Maybe a single entry of a steam id isn't note worthy, but if you start to see 15 server operators have reported a steam ID, that probably means something...

As a player, entering steam ID's into the player listing database gives server operators a heads up.. maybe if you submit something with solid enough proof (a great screen shot, or a link to a video) you can persuade an operator to add that steam ID into his banned list.

Again : Not a witch hunt, as each report is given the opportunity to be proven guilty with evidence rather then hearsay, enough solid repeated reports, I think the evidence will speak for itself.

The Server operators list and player reported list are kept separate for a reason.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2048225:date=Dec 19 2012, 07:25 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Dec 19 2012, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh... I don't really trust the judgment of a random collection of server operators to hold that much power.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Power? It's their server, their rules. If people don't like it they don't have to play there. Whether or not a server operator participates is their own business.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048245:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:10 PM:name=ma$$a$$ter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ma$$a$$ter @ Dec 19 2012, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well, for one
    a single person holds little power -

The idea, if you read my explanation, is the power comes from the many. Server operators are currently running their own servers, banning who they see fit. This simply takes the collective mind and lets server ops communicate who they banned (by steam ID) with each other. Maybe a single entry of a steam id isn't note worthy, but if you start to see 15 server operators have reported a steam ID, that probably means something...

As a player, entering steam ID's into the player listing database gives server operators a heads up.. maybe if you submit something with solid enough proof (a great screen shot, or a link to a video) you can persuade an operator to add that steam ID into his banned list.

Again : Not a witch hunt, as each report is given the opportunity to be proven guilty with evidence rather then hearsay, enough solid repeated reports, I think the evidence will speak for itself.

The Server operators list and player reported list are kept separate for a reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Global ban lists should only be used for known and confirmed (with archived evidence) hackers. Behavior should be done on a server to server basis.
  • ma$$a$$terma$$a$$ter Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048252:date=Dec 19 2012, 06:23 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Dec 19 2012, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Global ban lists should only be used for known and confirmed (with archived evidence) hackers. Behavior should be done on a server to server basis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The idea of a "global subscribed" ban list is not what it is all about..

The player, or server operators submit information (SteamID, a reason for the entry- could also include a link to a video, and a screen shot) - Each Operator is able to view each and every submission per steamID and make their own mind up based on what has been submitted.

In a sense, we are Archiving "evidence" -

RE: Behavior - Some times being a jackhole is just as detrimental to a game as cheating, if not worse.. It's up to the server operators to choose what ID they want to include in their own ban list, no one is "globally" doing anything.. Simply giving operators the tools to make up their own minds.