Official UWE Servers Massively Trolled

13»

Comments

• BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Arbitrarily (spellink) giving people admin just breeds power hungry muppets :P

You always get admins who feel just because they want to comm, they can kick someone.. or kick someone for going a certain chamber.. or changing a map 5 minutes into a game (happened me last night .. annoying as hell) etc. etc.

But something worthwhile might be some voting system to flag someone .. if they get flagged by X number of unique steam ideas within a period of time ... ban them across all UWE servers .. banning across the servers shouldn't be hard.. how to flag people is another story though .. this is mod/voting territory .. possibly do something like count number of unique steam ids that try to eject a commander

dropping some servers might be ok, but I'd be reluctant to suggest anything like that

on the other hand .. I'd take one of the servers off your hands if they're being thrown in the skip *grin*
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    there is so many ways to ruin / troll in this game that you can't stop it, and to ask that admin is in every server 24/7 is just ridicilous.

if they do indeed get banned, what stops them to join other game and continue it in there ? you can't have admin in every freakin server all the time.
  • sloesloe Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18968Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047229:date=Dec 17 2012, 02:35 PM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Dec 17 2012, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there is so many ways to ruin / troll in this game that you can't stop it, and to ask that admin is in every server 24/7 is just ridicilous.

if they do indeed get banned, what stops them to join other game and continue it in there ? you can't have admin in every freakin server all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Admins have scripts/mods/manual labor at their disposal, not just 24/7 monitoring so I still say it's an admin issue.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I agree UWE should just shut down the majority of their servers, it's just costing them money when they could easily have all the community servers facilitate the playerbase. The only time these servers are needed is with big patches, free weekends or sales, really.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Organise some competitions... with a prize of a server for 6 months..

Convert some of them into clan servers ;)

This way, you keep servers in circulation and get some dedicated players who'll appreciate them and run them well ;)
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    I was thinking about it last night, and while I never see someone do this they totally could on Aliens.

There is nothing stopping a player from jumping into the first hive and dropping themselves a lerk egg, and there's nothing the team can do about it if they did this.

Just one example of the many things trolls can do to ensure a failure of the team.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2047707:date=Dec 18 2012, 09:54 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Dec 18 2012, 09:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking about it last night, and while I never see someone do this they totally could on Aliens.

There is nothing stopping a player from jumping into the first hive and dropping themselves a lerk egg, and there's nothing the team can do about it if they did this.

Just one example of the many things trolls can do to ensure a failure of the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

a good player can wreak havoc as an early lerk.
    it is a viable tactic.

there are trolls in every online game. WoW AH blockade, DAoC teleporter guy blocked by a troll (race ^^), that other game with the horse on the narrow bridge, CS blocker, TK....

admins are no soulution. They can not be online 31.
  • SyriquezSyriquez Join Date: 2005-01-29 Member: 38979Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042767:date=Dec 10 2012, 01:53 AM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 10 2012, 01:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel the UWE servers should just be shut down. There's hundreds of community owned/run servers that are far superior and sit empty. Not to mention the majority of UWE servers also sit empty the majority of the time.

They served their purpose during release, they are ready to be retired now (at least most of them are)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speak for yourself. I don't join 24 player mayhem servers because that's all the crappy community servers seem to consist of. Or they're like Voogru and have a mod that doesn't flag under my "modded servers" filter (it was some kind of res-for-kills on Skulks--people that have denied its existence obviously are bad Skulks because I shouldn't have enough PRes for a Fade in 140 seconds with 4 res nodes...but I would have been exactly 19 PRes short...if I didn't have 19 kills at the time...yes, the Marine team was awful).
  • TobyTriceTobyTrice Denmark Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175486Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just add a votekick function..

If theres a troll or two, people could votekick them, 55-60% needed to say yes to a votekick.. How can this turn out bad?

I was at a server where one or two guys keep ruining the game, everyone cried for a votekick, nothing could be done about them.

They kept whining about commander (trying to get him ejected) and doing nothing for the team..
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yup, TF2's system works awesome for this.

Callvote in console brings up menu giving options to start "set next map" "change current map" or "kick player"

Initiate that, then everyone votes via F1 or F2. Can only call a vote every XXX seconds.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2042767:date=Dec 9 2012, 11:53 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Dec 9 2012, 11:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel the UWE servers should just be shut down. There's hundreds of community owned/run servers that are far superior and sit empty. Not to mention the majority of UWE servers also sit empty the majority of the time.

They served their purpose during release, they are ready to be retired now (at least most of them are)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, shame on you. Hire 3 admins, have rotating shifts, 8 hours each, pay them each $15 an hour, and have the UWE be shining examples of good core gameplay. Too many servers run garbage like res for kills, combat mode, and other hurdur b.s. They've made enough money to pay a few college students minimum wage to admin.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2057542:date=Jan 7 2013, 04:03 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Jan 7 2013, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, shame on you. Hire 3 admins, have rotating shifts, 8 hours each, pay them each $15 an hour, and have the UWE be shining examples of good core gameplay. Too many servers run garbage like res for kills, combat mode, and other hurdur b.s. They've made enough money to pay a few college students minimum wage to admin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Minimum wage is 15$ hour? I want to live where you live if minimum wage is $15 an hour.

Also, 1 admin can easily take care of multiple servers via IRC if the servers are setup properly.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2047707:date=Dec 18 2012, 03:54 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Dec 18 2012, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047707"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking about it last night, and while I never see someone do this they totally could on Aliens.

Just one example of the many things trolls can do to ensure a failure of the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I do this all the time.

it's a legit strategy if you can lerk well.

the classic alien troll move is to build 3 whips in your base at the start
  • ChickenbombChickenbomb Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164648Members
    I'm loving the games where a bunch of scrub friends join, and eject competent coms for not doing exactly what the noobs want.
  • Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057803:date=Jan 8 2013, 01:06 AM:name=Chickenbomb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chickenbomb @ Jan 8 2013, 01:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm loving the games where a bunch of scrub friends join, and eject competent coms for not doing exactly what the noobs want.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems to be getting popular. "WHY ARENT YOU DROPPING 2ND IP FIRST??? WHY ARENT YOU GOING CAMO FIRST?? WE NEED TURRETS!!!! TERRIBLE COMM."
  • AzaralAzaral Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172408Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057806:date=Jan 8 2013, 12:08 AM:name=Omar - The Wire)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omar - The Wire @ Jan 8 2013, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems to be getting popular. "WHY ARENT YOU DROPPING 2ND IP FIRST??? WHY ARENT YOU GOING CAMO FIRST?? WE NEED TURRETS!!!! TERRIBLE COMM."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    Right so because a few people turn up and troll some servers here and there, rather than punishing the offenders, you want to make everyone suffer by removing all the UWE servers -- a facility which many players around the world rely on to be able to play. In fact, I prefer playing on UWE servers because then there's no worry about admin abuse, and we get the raw, standardized, NS2 experience without all those ridiculous mods.

Please UWE, keep the public servers going for a few more months at least! What we need is some admins roaming the official servers. And there are plenty of dedicated NS2 community members who would gladly do the admin work for free. They just need to be thoroughly vetted before being given powers.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2057734:date=Jan 7 2013, 10:22 PM:name=Res)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Res @ Jan 7 2013, 10:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2057734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Minimum wage is 15$ hour? I want to live where you live if minimum wage is $15 an hour.

Also, 1 admin can easily take care of multiple servers via IRC if the servers are setup properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im sure 1 admin can, but he needs to sleep and have a life outside staring at a server.