Error Downloading Mods

2»

Comments

• RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2041547:date=Dec 8 2012, 03:24 AM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Dec 8 2012, 03:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find that it will almost always fail if you are trying to download more than 1 mod at the same time. I have yet to have it fail if I only load 1 mod at a time to download. Obviously this doesn't fix the problem, but it is a potential work around.

It seems to also be dependent on the connection speed of the server. I have only tested with servers that have full 100 Mbps connections and I don't see too many problems. Slower connections are more likely to time out when trying to download larger files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not related to how many mods, I get this problem when trying to get NS2C (Only Mod on the server).

I am also not 100% sure it's speed related although faster speeds would probably help but I can download off the Steam Cloud at 1.2MB/s (Yes Megabytes).

I also for a laugh the other day tried to run the same mod download off my client (After I read that the Server and Client files do differ slightly) but still got the same error.

It's just a bug in their download methods and they need to look into it.

I have done pretty extensive testing on this up to this point and have documented most of it here:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125561" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125561</a>

As this also seems to cause clients to "Timeout" or never complete the Mod downloads it seems as well.
    I just updated my thread with more information, feel free to post any feedback if people are more knowledgeable than I am:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125561" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125561</a>
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I'll also add that when downloading a single mod (combat) it fails often (now always?) for me.

And that its not an issue with download speed, using google chrome to do the download, it finishes before I can even see what speed its going (less than .5 seconds).
    <!--quoteo(post=2041726:date=Dec 8 2012, 09:27 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 8 2012, 09:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2041726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll also add that when downloading a single mod (combat) it fails often (now always?) for me.

And that its not an issue with download speed, using google chrome to do the download, it finishes before I can even see what speed its going (less than .5 seconds).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Browsers are sometimes not a good indicator as these days a lot of them preempt that if you click the download link you want to download the file so it starts downloading to cache before you hit the File Save option.

In any case it's all clearly outlines with picture examples in that thread...
    edited December 2012
    New link: <a href="http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/542946468773935467/202C2C890F80A157C0367865CE826C022AE790A3/" target="_blank">http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/54294646...826C022AE790A3/</a>
    new folder name: m5f35045_1355168042

Is this a new version or just something that happens when the ns2 build gets updated?
    New Version of the mod.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not.

Let's focus on what appears to be (as you pointed out) a bug that only affects Australians.

Whats up with that :(
    edited December 2012
    I've already reported this to the UWE Dev's and I got an e-mail from Max (UWE) who said he is looking into this, so I would say no need to bump the thread at this stage.

It's not just Australian's it's just download speed AFAIK and because most people in AU do not have the best of speeds it's why we are affected more I would assume. The Server.exe download functions looks to have a really short timeout, there is examples and information in this thread:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125561" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125561</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=2046813:date=Dec 17 2012, 08:21 AM:name=Rothgar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rothgar @ Dec 17 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've already reported this to the UWE Dev's and I got an e-mail from Max (UWE) who said he is looking into this, so I would say no need to bump the thread at this stage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good to hear, I was unaware the issue was acknowledged.

<!--quoteo(post=2046813:date=Dec 17 2012, 08:21 AM:name=Rothgar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rothgar @ Dec 17 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not just Australian's it's just download speed AFAIK and because most people in AU do not have the best of speeds it's why we are affected more I would assume.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not an issue with download speeds, I hope they are not looking into that as the issue. I can have the issue occur from my home connection (4mbps) or from the server (1gbps).
    Unless you mean a download issue, with the servers that Australians are being directed to.
    <!--quoteo(post=2046973:date=Dec 17 2012, 03:38 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 17 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good to hear, I was unaware the issue was acknowledged.

It's not an issue with download speeds, I hope they are not looking into that as the issue. I can have the issue occur from my home connection (4mbps) or from the server (1gbps).
    Unless you mean a download issue, with the servers that Australians are being directed to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am not 100% sure of what the problem is, but it seems to stop the downloading after a very short interval (couple of seconds). From my testing it looks to download mods in parallel and so if you are downloading a lot of mods on first launch most of them may fail, but smaller ones complete.

You start the server again and you might get lucky that some others complete and so on and so forth.

In my testing, it clearly shows that with multiple mods it terminates the connection at an earlier point (less downloaded) so it's not a "size" limit or anything.

I also do not run a proxy and there should be no "cache" problems.

My download speeds from the Steam Cloud are 1.2MB/s through a web browser.

I mean it could even be just an issue with the headers they are sending when they request the files, they have some very basic headers for their file requests and maybe Steam has some sort of filtering or something that might be terminating the connection on their end?

For example UWE in the Server.exe doesn't even seem to send a "User-Agent"
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Any updates on this, the issue appears to be back.
    edited June 2013
    OH dear god :(

This is very disappointing news, I just logged on to resurrect this thread. It happened to me with balance mod, could be specific, haven't tested any other mods yet. EDIT: Also applies to combat, so its valve/server.exe issues, NOT mod specific.

The old workaround still applies, detailed below (and im sure in other places).

On the server, run wireshark, grab the "GET" packet, and paste the contents of the GET into a browser.

Should look something like:
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1119424168885996863/55B3681F6D155E51086622151E9D6AFE7BC5BFB1/

Download the zip file.

On your desktop/steam client, subscribe to the mod. Make sure it updates in steam downloads. Launch NS2, and bring up your console, you should see the mod "install".

On your desktop, go to %appdata%\natural selection 2\workshop

Sort by last modified, the mod should be up top, for example BT is in a folder called:
    m7c59c34_1371597495

Back on the Server, create a folder in your mod location (mine is %appdata%\natural selection 2\workshop) and give it the same name (m7c59c34_1371597495).

Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file into it.

Restart server. It should not attempt to redownload the mod (until its next updated). Clients should have no issues downloading the mod through steam, as this issue appears to only be related to the method the server.exe process uses to download.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    welcome back error 28
    BT mod updated fine tonight, hopefully this was fixed, whatever the issue was.

Actually, the fact that it occasionally happens at all means it was not fixed. What i mean is, it happened to work tonight. The issue is still not fixed!
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I have a solution... Just tell everyone with large mods/maps to not update their existing items. Instead they should create a new workshop item with for example v2. This way server operators have time to get the new version and place it on their server safely without the danger of losing all their traffic b/c some mod updated and valve is broken. In the future it may be possible to use the workshop as intended but for now I highly recommend that we try to get everyone on board on NOT UPDATING existing large mods and publishing MULTIPLE VERSIONS instead.
  • Viper_two_nine_AViper_two_nine_A Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31989Members
    Just a note: This problem still persists today for me ..