Player-Perspective Livestream?

ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
Colt here, with a couple questions/subjects about streaming.

A.) First and foremost, would anyone be interested in watching a livestream of my Ns2 playing? I've been toying with the idea of putting one up for some time, but I'm having difficulty motivating due to the fact that I get bored watching others play. I've had a couple people suggest I make a stream though, and I definitely play quite a bit and would have no problem doing so... if there are people interested in watching. If there's sufficient interest, I'm quite interested in making it happen!

B.) Advice, help, any in-depth information or archived threads/tutorials on actually getting programs to co-operate with Twitch nicely, suggestions/ideas/etc for making things work together nicely, so on. I've got Xsplit but I'm not sure I particularly want to pay licensing fees so I can stream to a smaller audience or no audience at all. Any/all advice appreciated, whether in reply here or PM on the forums.

Sorry if the thread's in the wrong place or inspires flaming. Thought i'd post to see if this does have any interest (I know there are a few livestreams, but from what I understand, not very many as most are for casting/streaming comp. matches or tournaments?).

Also:
I love you all. 'No homo.'

Comments

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    Get xsplit. Get dxtory. Feed dxtory into xsplit. Make sure you set xsplit to "absolutely fastest" or whatever the option is. Still lag.

I do the above with i7 2600k, 570, ssd hd, and 50 megabit upload. I go from 60 - 120 fps down to 30-60 fps with noticeable lag. Even doing the little tricks like binding process to different cpus and messing with quality.

It doesn't really answer your question, but you'll probably want a capture card or a second computer to feed out to via hdmi before you consider streaming and playing.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Edited: Please don't support cracking applications on the forums. Thanks.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046926:date=Dec 16 2012, 06:50 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Dec 16 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get xsplit. Get dxtory. Feed dxtory into xsplit. Make sure you set xsplit to "absolutely fastest" or whatever the option is. Still lag.

I do the above with i7 2600k, 570, ssd hd, and 50 megabit upload. I go from 60 - 120 fps down to 30-60 fps with noticeable lag. Even doing the little tricks like binding process to different cpus and messing with quality.

It doesn't really answer your question, but you'll probably want a capture card or a second computer to feed out to via hdmi before you consider streaming and playing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dont use Xsplit, Use OBS. much better performance. Free and open source.

<a href="http://obsproject.com/" target="_blank">http://obsproject.com/</a>

edit: Thread on how to set up OBS... <a href="http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=642" target="_blank">http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=642</a>
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Much appreciated. I'll have a look at OBS.

@Gorgeous, I run a very similar setup to yours. I guess we'll see how painful it is.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    don't forget to include your twitch stream username so we can check you out and tell you how you're doing... :)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've been attempting this with a capture card with my i5 @ 4.5ghz

It works out nicely as a Commander.

Unfortunately, I've been out of commission lately because I refuse to stream with my random QoS lag upsets from my ######ty router until I replace it.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    My stream is now live!

NS2 from All-In | Colt's perspective! Looking forward to any viewers or whatnot. I'm new to streaming so don't be harsh, but so far the quality is top-notch! Feedback welcome.

twitch.tv/asonoasono

That'd be my channel. Yer.
  • w3st420w3st420 Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72615Members
    Very cool and very much appreciated. If streaming is too taxing you could also just record and upload to youtube or the like. I believe this is the approach of glissy, could always use some more talented players getting high level gameplay out there any way they can.

Will be looking forward to seeing some good games on your channel(s).