how to bite and shoot to enemy?

OwiecPL1986OwiecPL1986 Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172755Members
<div class="IPBDescription">head, back?</div>Is it any difference i bite marine in head or from back, not front?

The same with marine, if i shoot directly into alien head or to his back?

Comments

• unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    same dmg everywhere, this game is more oldschool, positional damage has no place in a twitch shooter outside of headshots. This game happens to not have headshots though.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    marine weapons always hit at 100%, no matter where you aim at.

skulk bite, lerk bite and fade swipe attack have 3 "damage zones". those are 3 overlapping blocks with varying damage modifiers. the most inner zone causes full damage, the second 66% and the third 33%.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    its a bit different from other games

In this game, your damage depends on how 'accurate' your bite is as opposed to which part of the body you bite.

So if you landed a perfect bite on a marines foot (the foot is dead center of your mouth when you bite), its going to do 75 dmg.
    if you landed a glancing bite (you just grazed the marine with the corner of your mouth) then it will do 25 or 50 dmg doesn't matter if you landed the bite on the marines head.
  • quirkenquirken Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168115Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042193:date=Dec 8 2012, 03:09 PM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Dec 8 2012, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its a bit different from other games

In this game, your damage depends on how 'accurate' your bite is as opposed to which part of the body you bite.

So if you landed a perfect bite on a marines foot (the foot is dead center of your mouth when you bite), its going to do 75 dmg.
    if you landed a glancing bite (you just grazed the marine with the corner of your mouth) then it will do 25 or 50 dmg doesn't matter if you landed the bite on the marines head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is my least favorite part of the game... it makes it quite difficult to master the aliens, since you generally need to move very quickly AND aim really well. Just not something I have the reflexes for, I guess. It's part of why I haven't played in a few weeks - I have trouble doing full damage even coming from behind because I'm already anticipating needing to doge. (The real reason I haven't played much is my friend I was playing with stopped playing, though)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2046768:date=Dec 16 2012, 06:21 PM:name=quirken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quirken @ Dec 16 2012, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is my least favorite part of the game... it makes it quite difficult to master the aliens, since you generally need to move very quickly AND aim really well. Just not something I have the reflexes for, I guess. It's part of why I haven't played in a few weeks - I have trouble doing full damage even coming from behind because I'm already anticipating needing to doge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well I guess you're on a wrong train of thought here :)

With this latest implementation you at least get your damage. If it was removed then you'd see loads of newbie Skulk bites simply not generating damage at all...
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I want headbites. Reward rooftop aerial assassinations.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Generally speaking aiming your bites should take priority over dodging, if necessary. Won't do you much good to be evasive if you can't hit the marine.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046798:date=Dec 17 2012, 06:37 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Dec 17 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Generally speaking aiming your bites should take priority over dodging, if necessary. Won't do you much good to be evasive if you can't hit the marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But being evasive will make him waste his bullets, therefore making him reload, which then gives the Alien an optimal time to strike
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Early game I tend to assist with parasites to make them 2 bites for the lads biting at their kneecaps and I can't close the distance in time. And reload management vs energy management along wiht positioning is what NS2 is all about, and I love it for that
  • DwavenhobbleDwavenhobble Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175044Members
    edited December 2012
    You know no-one will believe this but I swear I once had a 100 damage bite, only one but I still hit and it came up 100. probably an error though and somehow I hit a 75 and 25 hit at the same time or something but still
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2046815:date=Dec 17 2012, 07:53 AM:name=Dwavenhobble)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dwavenhobble @ Dec 17 2012, 07:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know no-one will believe this but I swear I once had a 100 damage bite<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You're right I don't believe you
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2046803:date=Dec 16 2012, 03:52 PM:name=WonderWaffles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WonderWaffles @ Dec 16 2012, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But being evasive will make him waste his bullets, therefore making him reload, which then gives the Alien an optimal time to strike<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's something you can do when you're at range. In melee though it's very difficult to move evasively while also landing bites reliably.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2046768:date=Dec 16 2012, 02:21 PM:name=quirken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quirken @ Dec 16 2012, 02:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is my least favorite part of the game... it makes it quite difficult to master the aliens, since you generally need to move very quickly AND aim really well. Just not something I have the reflexes for, I guess. It's part of why I haven't played in a few weeks - I have trouble doing full damage even coming from behind because I'm already anticipating needing to doge. (The real reason I haven't played much is my friend I was playing with stopped playing, though)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you're attacking from behind, you really should not be anticipating to dodge imo. Just focus on lining up your bites and aim for the ass. You can at least get two solid hits in before they have time to react.
    Also if you find that you often run yourself out of range, you might find it easier to hold Shift while biting. Again, it's not the perfect tactic but if it helps you land your bites 100% of the time it's usually good enough.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2046877:date=Dec 16 2012, 03:58 PM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Dec 16 2012, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2046877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you're attacking from behind, you really should not be anticipating to dodge imo. Just focus on lining up your bites and aim for the ass. You can at least get two solid hits in before they have time to react.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This can be tricky, I would sneak up behind a guy and get 2 noms off before he even knew what was going on, and then BAM I was dead. Think it was more spaztic luck on his part but man it sucked, also you get those good players that do the jump 180. I would say in most situations you got to be ready to dodge because you're loud as you run up to a marine unless you have silence or you creep towards him slowly while he was building alone.