Mapping Idea Discussion

Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
<div class="IPBDescription">advanced start</div>So in every map you always start with the same stuff: one harvester, one command center. Why not have an advanced start with some advanced technology and buildings? I think that it's a really neat mapping idea personally; maybe you could start marines off with two bases and aliens with two bases and mid-game tech. There's a lot of possibilities, but I'm saying it would be neat if it would be possible to start off with advanced tech for both hives.

What are your thoughts? Is this even possible with coding limitations?

If you still can't understand it, I'm talking about something like Civilization's advanced start.

Comments

• Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    Not a bad idea. I see a bit of tweaking needed (What tech, how many TRes is given) but aside from that, it seems fine.

But why would you need it?
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2044768:date=Dec 12 2012, 07:56 PM:name=WonderWaffles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WonderWaffles @ Dec 12 2012, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a bad idea. I see a bit of tweaking needed (What tech, how many TRes is given) but aside from that, it seems fine.

But why would you need it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You wouldn't need it, but it would be cool to see, at least in my opinion. Could also speed up the game, or help balance it out for certain setups, possibly. Increased variety would just be interesting, is all I think. I don't see it being implemented as a competitive format, just would be interesting to see integrated into a map.
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
    This would go along nicely with my idea of having a "Global Map" which has locations on it indicating the individual maps. If one side is victorious at one location then the next time that map is played they start off with a slight bonus, making it harder for the other team to take the location.

Ultimately it would be something like Dawn of War Soulstorm how the stronger a territory is the more buildings etc they have.

Balancing would be a massive issue though.