Reduce income by team size to improve small marine teams

nawoanawoa Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174777Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited December 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Currently, the great movement and expansion bonus kharaa have naturally allows them to expand with impunity in small-team games, since they can build freely without relying on players to do the constructing. As a remedy for this, I suggest accelerating the resource tick rate for small-player teams, which should help to balance the odds a little for the marine team when a server has fewer players. Marines benefit from extra res in the early game much more than kharaa.

I've attached a spreadsheet screenshot showing how this might work. I don't know what the current tick rate is so I just made a guess.

[attachment=36179:examples.png]

Other notes:

- It would also help to even the odds a little bit when one team has more players than the other but not enough to reduce spawn time; if one team is getting X percent more resources per extractor, this has an effect in the long term.

- By the time the population gets up to around 8 per team the tick speed increase is much smaller, so it won't upset balance in normal-sized games where the marines and kharaa are more evenly matched.

- If a bunch of people ragequit off one team, combined with the increased spawn time, this would help the remaining players still have a chance of winning.

- It should help to make smaller games a bit more interesting since it won't be forever and a day before you can get any upgrades with your limited expansion capabilities.

- It sort of makes sense from a realism <i>(terrible word for gameplay discussion, I know)</i> standpoint, since theoretically the resources are being distributed not just to the team resource pool but also divided among the players.

Comments

• zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems like an interesting idea, although the problem seems to mostly be the Kharaa spreading their economy much faster than the marine team is able to. It might be better to do something that allows gorges to increase expansion rate, and reducing the general expansion rate, meaning that faster expansion is more team dependent. Currently the entire team can harass and hamper marine economy in the beginning which generally allows the aliens to spread out without resistance. It might be a little too drastic, but maybe make it so cysts have to be placed on infestation like everything else, and maybe allow gorges to increase the growth rate of infestation from a cyst, and make the infestation spread out to the previous maximum range cysts could be placed apart. The goal of this is to slow down the alien economy unless the team focuses heavier on it. The Kharaa are supposed to run well on 3-4 extractors, with the marines at 4-5, but often I see it the other way around in pubs.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Join Date: 2003-09-12 Member: 20796Members
    Seems like the better solution is to dramatically increase (worsen) Cyst cooldown in smaller games, to mimic the weaker expansion capabilities of the Marine team.

So the smaller the game, the slower Cysts can spread because the cooldown is longer.

Build times of Kharaa structures being increased based on current player counts might also work.
    Also another idea, which is only somewhat related, is making eggs spawn rate scale to player count, so that way going shift hive first is not a must in large games to prevent egglocking, and in small games it prevents aliens from never worrying about eggs ever.

Axehilt, I like your idea. Another idea might be to make mac build and repair rates closer to an actual marine's, because in small games macs and turrets are fairly essential to make up for the troops you would otherwise have.
    <!--quoteo(post=2044657:date=Dec 12 2012, 06:46 PM:name=zeq)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zeq @ Dec 12 2012, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also another idea, which is only somewhat related, is making eggs spawn rate scale to player count, so that way going shift hive first is not a must in large games to prevent egglocking, and in small games it prevents aliens from never worrying about eggs ever.

Axehilt, I like your idea. Another idea might be to make mac build and repair rates closer to an actual marine's, because in small games macs and turrets are fairly essential to make up for the troops you would otherwise have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I agree think the egg thing absolutely needs to happen.

I tried to think of a way where low pop games could start marines with a free MAC to assist with early constructing, but it seems like that would go down a perilous path which introduces a lot of problems which would have to be solved. Increasing MAC build rate might help if it didn't feel like such a painful/disadvantageous choice to go early Robo Factory.
    In a 1-3 player per team game, early robo is a must, although larger small scale games, such as 4-6 players, it is much less viable I think. So something else needs to happen I guess. The main advantage of the early robo is it frees up your teammates to harass and keep the enemy from expanding a lot.
    I think a mod wouldn't be too hard to make that tests these out, just find the variables that define these rates, and set them equal to a function of the team size, which has to be defined somewhere.
  • nawoanawoa Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174777Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2012
    I like this idea of requiring cysts to be built on infestation or increasing their cooldown. It feels a bit silly that in Mineshaft (I think that's the name?) you can expand all the way from Cave to [that place in the top left] in a matter of seconds.

At the same time we don't want it to be irritating, you don't want to have to constantly be waiting for the infestation to expand, going back to it, building another cyst, doing something else, forgetting about the infestation, remembering 10 minutes later you still need to work on it, etc, etc, but I feel right now it's too fast.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Is this suggestion for pres or tres?

current res income:
    1 tres per RT per 6 seconds.
    0.125 pres per RT per 6 seconds.

I don't know why you'd want to increase res gained from smaller games for marines. It's already, effectively, increased because you have to drop less stuff for your team. In a 12 player game, you need to drop more medpacks/ammo than you do in a 6p game.
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    edited December 2012
    The res model was created with the sole intent of taking team sizes out of the equation.

The only problem Marines have in small games is that they have to build structures in order to expand. The Kham can drop everything, hop out and be a contributing player to the Alien team. However, the Com has to stay in chair in order for Marines to have any chance of being effective, which (unfortunately) is working as intended.

On the opposite side of the coin, when we enter large games, Marines have a distinct advantage due to weapon recycle and the insane DPS achieved with the Rifle in large numbers (another critique, another thread, another time).
    <!--quoteo(post=2044792:date=Dec 12 2012, 11:48 PM:name=Kazter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kazter @ Dec 12 2012, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2044792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The res model was created with the sole intent of taking team sizes out of the equation.

The only problem Marines have in small games is that they have to build structures in order to expand. The Kham can drop everything, hop out and be a contributing player to the Alien team. However, the Com has to stay in chair in order for Marines to have any chance of being effective, which (unfortunately) is working as intended.

On the opposite side of the coin, when we enter large games, Marines have a distinct advantage due to weapon recycle and the insane DPS achieved with the Rifle in large numbers (another critique, another thread, another time).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I doubt anyone thought the res model would solve team sizes entirely -- it clearly only solves the specific subset of problems related to how the old res model worked. (In addition to just flat-out flowing better than NS1, "Comm drop me a shotgun. COMM DROP ME A SHOTGUN!")

The rest of the problems associated with differing team sizes remain, and should be solved separately -- and honestly isn't really related to resources but the massive disparity in construction capabilities between the two teams at different team sizes.