Sanity - A Full Conversion Mod

Comments

• RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2039142:date=Dec 3 2012, 04:02 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Dec 3 2012, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What will your gorge move? Can't think of any moveable objects in ns2 maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It will throw around marines.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited December 2012
    This guy was streaming Sanity games on his server. Not sure if he knew it was alpha...

They keep looking for powernodes which is pretty funny :D

Someone figures out how to play fortunately.

<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/talutha/b/345354740" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/talutha/b/345354740</a>

There should some way for people to know purge is an attack and it drains sanity. They keep pressing F the whole time.

The guy streaming tells the other people they should power the map because Darkness lose health in the light. I think that should be implemented. Like 1hp per second in the light.

Bugs/problems they encounter:

- multiple players stuck in spawn rooms
    - can't build generators because E brings up the buy menu. There's confusion over how to build them and if you need the welder.
    - too much res/team res, so they don't experience hallucinations.
    - players stuck in the map (mineshaft)
    - trouble identifying objectives
    - don't know about 'the pit' and how it does aoe damage.
    - don't know how to win.

Otherwise they were really positive about the mod!
  • SomnambulistSomnambulist Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73051Members
    Purge usage has been explained and described in the how to play section for about a month, but the largest problem is people don't notice that section is there : D
  • xHershisquirtxxHershisquirtx Join Date: 2012-10-25 Member: 163673Members
    Is this mod going to implement the game mechanic where dropping all your weapons and sprinting being a lot faster and last longer than having the extra weapons on you? so say you are the only one left alive and 2 fades are on you, having a chance to drop your weapons and sprint your ass of back to base to regroup?

If not I think it would be an interesting mechanic to add and make it more fun and interactive to be scared ######less wondering how far behind you the fades are and if you can actually outrun them.
  • RaccoonRaccoon Join Date: 2012-10-27 Member: 163999Members
    Just wanna offer some encouragement for the guys working, KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!! Love to add this to my server when its ready to go. Not very familiar with modding, but if you need a hand with play testing or ideas, lemme know.
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2042138:date=Dec 8 2012, 10:52 PM:name=xHershisquirtx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xHershisquirtx @ Dec 8 2012, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2042138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is this mod going to implement the game mechanic where dropping all your weapons and sprinting being a lot faster and last longer than having the extra weapons on you? so say you are the only one left alive and 2 fades are on you, having a chance to drop your weapons and sprint your ass of back to base to regroup?

If not I think it would be an interesting mechanic to add and make it more fun and interactive to be scared ######less wondering how far behind you the fades are and if you can actually outrun them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In powered areas you can usually escape the voids (fades) by sprinting. In dark areas they have the speed advantage.

Watch from 05:30, and from 12:20, me trying to escape...
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXQX5Vkp39Q"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SXQX5Vkp39Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

There wouldn't be much point dropping all the weapons and running back to base. You'd have to spend resources buying new weapons. Might as well fight and respawn.
  • Crumbling EgoCrumbling Ego Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164692Members
    Personally, with such strong enemies, I think that hiding is the best way to inspire tension. If the marines would only glow orange in alien vision with the flashlight on, with just an outline without it on, that would be great. Also, a motion tracker is something that would add a lot, in terms of both atmosphere and usefulness. It would let your team know when to book it, while also adding this level of dependency that would be really cool to see. It should have an audio warning, with three settings. One is an all clear, small, scanning sort of noise. When an alien comes within the radius, it would start with louder, more pressing bloops. Finally, when an alien is very close, it would sound off with a terrifying klaxon. I think that it could add a lot to the game, as a standalone item. Also, really great work to the generators. They add a hell of a lot :D.
    I really liked your suggestions, ego, I'm planning on getting the vision toned down so that you can hide in the dark, and getting rid of the orange. I thought of this a few weeks ago and your suggestion sealed the fact that it's annoying how impossible it is to hide from the darkness.

In terms of a tracker, I wanted to purposefully stay away from something like that because it allows for too much knowledge, and thus not very scary, maybe I'm not seeing all the possible angles, it could be a minor signal of where they are rather than a clear one, however, we will be adding trip lasers soon which will allow for a sort of warning system. These will be place able objects that create a laser barrier that when passed through by the darkness do a large chunk of dmg and possibly alert the user that they've been tripped.

We're taking a break for Christmas and finals, lots of the team will be busy with both, but we're working on big changes including the new Human win strategy, Escape.
    edited December 2012
    In terms of a motion tracker, it would replace your primary, and it would be loud. The audio cues themselves can cause a heck of a lot of tension. In terms of having too much information, it would rather be a case of too little. It would cause you and the people around you to become dependent on this little device. It wouldn't provide an exact reading, or even an accurate one. It should even fail sometimes, as when you become too dependent on something, you don't want to lose it. The information it does give you is very simple. On a screen, it should tell you no more than the cardinal directions an enemy is coming in, and the audio says how close.

Thanks, by the way :D. Escape sounds pretty nice.
    I'd like to have an open dialogue about something like this before we even consider putting it in, just because I think it will be very intensive to get it in. I get what you mean about it providing some info, but unreliable info, it could retain a fear effect, but I honestly can't see it not decreasing the horror aspect of the game even with all these caveats, but I want to hear from other people, if no one replies to this I'll bring it into open dialogue when we're not so swamped. Thanks again ego.
    Alright, just one thing before I let you get back to your life :D. I just wanted to say that a big part of horror is the fear of death. Since death has no major consequences aside from travel time and equipment, there is no real 'oh ######' factor that would normally come from watching an entire group get murdered brutally. The other way to achieve this is to give some hope of living. Ergo, the hiding and the motion tracker. Currently, the aliens are powerful and all seeing. One in the room= a dead you. Resignation to one's fate is very quick to kill the tension. A motion tracker is good because it forces you to be very, very aware of when an alien is nearby. You start to mentally prepare yourself, knowing what is coming. All the while, the beeping is growing stronger, slowly changing to a klaxon. Your friend and you exchange a nervous "Let's do this", and then there it is. That's a lot of extra tension then a simple 'there it is'. It keeps the feeling of being stalked, which is one that is very good to have. If the actual death part isn't so bad, there are a few ways to get around that. One is to hype up the fight itself, and to keep you on edge with constant, low level noise, ala the motion tracker. Another is to inspire the hope of survival, so that the player becomes more invested in staying alive, since they think that it is actually doable, rather than a pipe dream. Just a thought.
    Seriously though, good luck on the exams.
    Completely agree, that's why there is a big change coming to respawning, attack dmg, etc..to make the fights last longer and be quite a bit more interesting, but also audio queues and reactive atmosphere that lets players know the darkness are close without the use of an item. These aren't in yet because our audio work is slow going, but its planned. It's not exactly the same thing as what you're suggesting, but you tell me what you think.
    I think that that sounds great. As long as the sound itself is sufficiently eerie, it'll be fine. The reason I like the motion tracker is that it adds a nice sci fi edge. It's both pleasant to listen to, yet intrinsically eerie. When you attach 'Death by monster' to that eerie, you get something very good. I guess it's less the motion tracker itself, and more just the bleeps and bloops that it makes. I seriously love that noise, even though it terrifies me.
  • PaniohitusPaniohitus Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168790Members
    Are there servers, i'm searching but can't find any for this mod
    The Sucky Server hosts us when he feels like it, we're still in alpha so I don't push him to host often, you can always ask him, his servers usually up doing regular ns2.
  • fivesevenfiveseven Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173272Members
    Just wanted to voice my support, im really looking forward to trying the mod out.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Justed played the mod and want to give my feedback.

... first of all, your idea is good i like it. First time i played it i was scared as soon as i got into the dark ... thinking about getting insane and beein transformed and getting surprised.

But that#s missing.
    - I don't lose sanity, so i cant be converted.
    - Most of the time i have no problem seeing the darkness in dark areas.
    - As i played the darkness had problems taking down the power nodes set up by the humas. while humas spammed them around.
    - humas can buy powernodes in darkness infested areas!
    - the darkness always had problems defending its spawn.
    - the darkness seems to me a bit too slow in attacking and speed?

anndd

- more maps! ;P
    - 2nd custom map doesnt seem to work: The Darkness doesnt spawn and auto-win Humans.

But most important: Keep on the work! I'm excited about the changes to come and how this mod evolves ;)
    thank you for trying us out, and thank you for the feedback. Addressing your concerns, here is what we're working on already:

- Being on Desecration will cause your Infestation to increase, and the curing of infestation will be lowered across the board because it's too high right now (we don't use the term 'Sanity' to describe your infection level anymore, copyright reasons, and Infestation fits better anyway.)
    - Our models and our desecration will eventually be invisible in the dark, we're looking for a dedicated texturer/modeler as we've had very little luck with the scheduling or commitment.
    - Humans are getting nerfed and the global cost of generators will be increasing as well as a lowering to their TRES generation.
    - The buy stations are cell powered, not generator powered, this was intentional so you can re-arm and deploy in the field, but, we may increase the cost of everything if an area is unpowered to limit forward expansion slightly.
    - The Darkness spawn is getting an enormous buff as it's destruction is moved to a secondary win condition and Escape becomes the primary (While Darkness win will remain primarily knocking out all power, while they secondary will become transforming the entire team).
    - The Darkness attack dmg is actually going to be lowered, the attack speed may go up slightly to compensate, but as of right now fights are too frequent and too fast, making conflict not very scary. We intend to make each battle a push and pull between the forces, and extend spawn times further to make dying more drastic. We want this to feel like a survival horror game with massive multiplayer, and right now it's too fast.

- More maps are coming, we only have ONE official mapper, and he has a fulltime job, and still works pretty hard making very different maps. He's working on a metro rail station right now while he continues work on Coeus (which has some buggy spawning that we're trying to tweak, it's a VERY odd bug, sometimes it will cause auto-win 12 times in a row, and sometimes the aliens will start at the SAME spawn and be perfectly fine), the metro station is still very early in development but it looks very cool already and should play very differently than Coeus, each map is capable of completely different tactics due to our unconventional win scenarios among other things.

This stuff is just the tip of the iceberg, we've got tons of things coming. Keep your eyes open for more upcoming stuff.

Again, any mappers, texturers, modelers, and programmers, please contact me if you're interested in joining, but please be dedicated to putting time into this because the three main people working on this put a lot of time and effort into creating something very fun and very different.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the update. It's good to know what's going on.

The human nerfs sound right. I wonder what do you mean with primary objective "Escape"?
    the primary win scenario for the Humans is soon to change to escaping the area via scavenging parts to repair a vehicle.
    That sounds so good, man. I mean it solves so many of the previous problems. The lack of a sense of progression, the general lack of stakes, the rather inane way of winning as marines. This just pushes it right into the realm of truly unique and awesome :D.
    Just wanted to voice my approval.
    Come one, come all, Double Hex now has a stream up where he is showing off live coding, it's even up right now! You can literally see him hacking in our features in real time, great for people interested about modding, people who may be interested in putting together their own mod, and even people just interested in what we're working on.

<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/double_hex" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/double_hex</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=2047304:date=Dec 18 2012, 12:11 AM:name=Somnambulist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Somnambulist @ Dec 18 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Come one, come all, Double Hex now has a stream up where he is showing off live coding, it's even up right now! You can literally see him hacking in our features in real time, great for people interested about modding, people who may be interested in putting together their own mod, and even people just interested in what we're working on.

<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/double_hex" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/double_hex</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh cool. I can see him running around and the marine is picking up little tool box thingies.
    Check the opening post for some changes to the personal resource bar which we're now changing to an Infestation indicator and flipping the values (this isn't implemented yet), also I've outlined the basics for our planned game modes, please check them out and comment.

----------- Please, if you're a modeler our Void model is basically ready for skeletonizing/animation. Celcio had to take a break and we're not sure if/when he'll be coming back. We need a dedicated modeler with a solid skill level, contact me for more info.

----------- We also would LOVE to get another programmer, this is slow going with just one person coding everything, so as above, if you're dedicated and talented, please contact me.
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    What is a full conversion? This does not look like a total conversion (every game asset is changed). You just colored the infestation black, allowed it to auto-spread, removed light sources from the maps and added a new survival game mode. Making Natural-Selection more scary is an interesting idea though.
    Full conversions are not made in a day, a week, or even a month, especially when all the coding is being done by one person and you don't even have a modeler. : ) This is a full conversion WIP.
    <!--quoteo(post=2052082:date=Dec 28 2012, 12:35 AM:name=Milanium)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Milanium @ Dec 28 2012, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2052082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is a full conversion? This does not look like a total conversion (every game asset is changed). You just colored the infestation black, allowed it to auto-spread, removed light sources from the maps and added a new survival game mode. Making Natural-Selection more scary is an interesting idea though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should have seen NS2's alpha. It wasn't an fps-strategy hybrid multiplayer. It was a single player game, running around a small sqaure map knocking down wooden dummies.

Welcome to game development!
  • lenouforyoulenouforyou Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176774Members
    Hello ! If you still looking for some hands I may offer my help ! I'm still a student but I can work on 3D models, textures and mapping. Please PM me for more information.
  • The AlgerianThe Algerian Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175962Members
    Is there another playtest anytime soon?
    If yes, can I get in? :)
    We're doing an internal playtest today to work out kinks, if you would like to join us please let me know on Steam ASAP, just bugtesters here please, we may play some full games but this needs to be organized. Friday will be when we host the regular playtest 3PM Eastern Standard Time. Please join the steam group if you haven't already! <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SanityMod" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SanityMod</a>