DDOSS - Attacks

waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
Last night, hundreds of servers got hit by DDOSs Attacks, or something along those lines.

Is there standard protection for this, what stops people wrecking the game for everyone?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Game server software has no options for protection afaik. To "protect" against a DDOS attack you'd need a proper load balancing and network infrastructure, block DDOS traffic and proper security messures on the network and server itself. But even with that stuff in place, traffic/bandwidth might still be overloading the network, which is basically what a DDOS attack is (loads upon loads of traffic from loads upon loads of sources)
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    The server hosting companies are the ones that have the means to fend off these attacks, though I'm not sure how that would work with gameservers. I guess it's the same thing as for websites - blocking certain IP ranges etc.
  • waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
    We blocked TONS of ips, and thats really the only option we have, how do these programs generate all of these ips to overload?
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Most often, DDOS attacks are made with botnets, computers infected with dormant malware which makes the infected PC 'attack' the target upon command. These botnets can consist of hundreds of thousands of PC's all over the world, depending on how successful the virus is. This makes it extremely difficult to stop on IP basis.

I don't know enough about server/web hosting to tell you how exactly 'the pro's' fend off these attacks, but I do know there are hardware options available, routers equipped with firewalls that block out the unneccesary requests. Perhaps the internet can tell you more if you search around.
  • waflzwaflz Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158459Members
    Installing a very high commercial based router should help, think thats the next step.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Cisco Guard works like a charm...

<a href="http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5879/ps6264/ps5888/prod_white_paper0900aecd8011e927.html" target="_blank">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral...cd8011e927.html</a>