Tech Path evolving the Hive

CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
edited January 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">[a little bonus that adds to choice making]</div>Simple suggestion: let whatever you choose as Tech Path for a Hive have an impact on that particular Hive as well.

Crag Hive: gets some nice shell-ish overlay as texture on the Hive and has more durability due to higher maximum armor.

Shift Hive: gets more strutting to the ground or ceiling and has a slightly increased egg spawn rate.

Shade Hive: originally I thought about having the Hive cloaked without the requirement for a nearby Shade, but this is kinda pointless since Marines will find or counter it easily by using scans. Making it act like a Shade itself and cloak nearby stuff might be a bit OP since it can't be destroyed as quickly as a Shade. So maybe just give it a semi-transparent look and either have it create ink clouds around it upon taking damage or just deny enemies the ability to see it's health at any time. They have to guess when it's going down and may not take advantage of a nearly killed Hive.

If the Tech has an impact on the Hive, you actually still have a choice to make when building your fourth Hive.

Suggestion on Google Moderator: <a href="http://goo.gl/mod/JC78" target="_blank">http://goo.gl/mod/JC78</a>

Comments

• OoziOozi Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172771Members
    I like this idea.

Naturally it needs to balanced properly.

There are alot of possibilities for this, and I'm sure the game developers can explore this further and make the different hives feel and look appropriately different!
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even specialized hive models would give both teams the ability to see what they do, and it would benefit both equally. I've been in games where the comm leaves and I jump in, and when a hive is attacked I'm left shouting "Guys, defend pipeline or we'll lose our ability to... um... I don't know, I joined late, but we're going to lose something!" So embarrassing. I almost wonder if an 'evolving ability' animation should exist, although that might give too much benefit to the marines since they'd know when to attack (wasting Alien ability res/time).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    You can already currently tell what a Hive is doing simply by it's name if you look at it (as alien) or by it's name in the health bar at the bottom of the screen. The look would be more of an eye candy thing. :)
  • SaniKSaniK Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166850Members
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
  • Frosty the PyroFrosty the Pyro Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172703Members
    you could give a shade hive a zone of slience thing, aplying silence to everything within range. Or have it make "halucinations" nearby, like fake aliens/cists/whips/whathaveyou that marines could waste bullets on.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Thing about Shade Hive is that it will cause marines to be even more likely to spam scans in the area, so hallucinations would be pretty easily countered.
  • ChaosXBeingChaosXBeing Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162114Members
    edited November 2012
    Strictly my opinion, but if the hive were to gain some kind of ability after a tech tree is researched, I'd rather it be one that didn't overlap with that tech trees structure. Maybe something like:

<ul><li>Shift Hive: Increases maturation rate of structures in the hive room</li><li>Crag Hive: Gains a shock absorbing ability. (Can only take X amount of damage at once/during Y amount of time.)</li><li>Shade Hive: When taking damage, randomly plays the sounds of approaching aliens/hatching eggs/etc.</li></ul>

Not terribly happy with that Shade ability, but you get the idea.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    *blows dust of topic to agree*
  • stoke34stoke34 Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181303Members
  • TzimisceTzimisce Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58437Members
    This would be nice, my spinoff:

Crag: Slightly increased armor on the hive, slightly increased healing rate for aliens near hive.

Shade: Emits a vision-impairing cloud (not blinding, just making it slightly harder to see) when attacked.

Shift: Aliens near hive will get slightly increased attack speed.

Also, each upgraded hive could provide the khammander with an ability that could be activated on a kharaa unit. Crag - increased armor for 10 seconds. Shade - invisibility for 3 seconds, not affected by obs, scans or attacking. Shift - increased attack speed for 5 seconds.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know about giving the hive extra abilities based on what was evolved, the original idea was just adding some looks.
  • BLACKSasquatchBLACKSasquatch Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183675Members
    edited March 2013
    lamb wrote: »
    I don't know about giving the hive extra abilities based on what was evolved, the original idea was just adding some looks.

You might want to re-read the OP
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter