green aliens, orange marines

kikaxakikaxa Join Date: 2012-08-19 Member: 155845Members
edited November 2012 in Server Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">to server admins</div><a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109537600&searchtext=" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...amp;searchtext=</a>
everyone can get this in thousand variations with little effort.

solution: consistensy check <b>*.material</b> files. a must, it effectively allows to bypass all CC now.
optional: consistensy check *.dds,<b> only gameplay-critical ones</b>
optional: consistensy check *.cinematics, resolves minor hacks

edit: fix *.model -> *.material.//

Comments

• ScyllaScylla Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18942Members
    One problem with extending the consistency check is that the server do not have all the DDS files as the client.

And are people with changed models/textures still able to join the server (and only the modification is disabled)?
  • ByorunByorun Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15661Members, Constellation
    i am using the full ns2 client as server and using *.dds will extend the start and every map load significantly!
  • kikaxakikaxa Join Date: 2012-08-19 Member: 155845Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032786:date=Nov 23 2012, 02:13 AM:name=Scylla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scylla @ Nov 23 2012, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And are people with changed models/textures still able to join the server (and only the modification is disabled)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes

<!--quoteo(post=2032794:date=Nov 23 2012, 02:29 AM:name=Byorun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Byorun @ Nov 23 2012, 02:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i am using the full ns2 client as server and using *.dds will extend the start and every map load significantly!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    all dds isn't required. only some of them, like model emission maps, screen effects like lerk spores, etc.
  • ScyllaScylla Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18942Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032833:date=Nov 23 2012, 08:21 AM:name=kikaxa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kikaxa @ Nov 23 2012, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->all dds isn't required. only some of them, like model emission maps, screen effects like lerk spores, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you maybe have a list of DDS available a server admin should include into the consistency check?
    <!--quoteo(post=2032868:date=Nov 23 2012, 06:36 AM:name=Scylla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scylla @ Nov 23 2012, 06:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you maybe have a list of DDS available a server admin should include into the consistency check?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

most common:
    *_illum.dds - glow fix
    *_opac.dds - transparency fix

*.dds - full textures fix

there are a ton of other dds without common template, related to important game mechanics.
    i have no list for that.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    How can we only block the alien models? I think with the alien vision changed marine color does not matter much. I just want to be able to restrict skulk, leark and gorge as the rest do not really matter.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Just try something like this:
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.fsb", "*.level", "*.material", "*.cinematic", "skulk*.dds", "fade*.dds", "lerk*.dds", "gorge*.dds", "onos*.dds", "male*.dds", "mine*.dds", "exo*.dds", "jetpack*.dds", "nade*.dds", "grenade*.dds", "shotgun*.dds", "pistol*.dds", "rifle*.dds", "infestation*.dds", "egg*.dds", "spore*.dds"]

You must run the server over an installed client. The dedicated server didnt has the needed files.
    With these settings the workshop-mod from the 1st post is blocked completely, but people can join and have to play with default values like intended.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2034345:date=Nov 25 2012, 12:49 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Nov 25 2012, 12:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just try something like this:
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.fsb", "*.level", "*.material", "*.cinematic", "skulk*.dds", "fade*.dds", "lerk*.dds", "gorge*.dds", "onos*.dds", "male*.dds", "mine*.dds", "exo*.dds", "jetpack*.dds", "nade*.dds", "grenade*.dds", "shotgun*.dds", "pistol*.dds", "rifle*.dds", "infestation*.dds", "egg*.dds", "spore*.dds"]

You must run the server over an installed client. The dedicated server didnt has the needed files.
    With these settings the workshop-mod from the 1st post is blocked completely, but people can join and have to play with default values like intended.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a good setup for the time being. Consistency checking should be enforced like what dePARA has setup on HBZ. This should be default.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    It sounds like the steamcmd isn't delivering enough files to properly run a server. I'd love to have an option for the server to download all required files, instead of the base files to get a server running.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    You have to change:
    app_update 4940 validate

in

app_update 4920 validate
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    If someone's willing to do it, making a server mod with all the required files to check for consistency and putting it on Steam Workshop would be really helpful.
    Sounds simple, thanks dePara
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just confirming...

using the following consistency checking on a dedicated server which was downloaded with 'app_update 4920 validate' should be all that's required?

Endar, let me know how you go with this.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    edited November 2012
    Hurm, will this potentially affect all the custom skins etc as well then?
    As I like using the exm mods for the funkier designed marines, tempted to go the red-eyed aliens as well.

I like the custom IP animation over the standard, and eventually, I'll decide on the colour of the IP portal I want to use.

I would prefer to see a mod, that has a filter built-into it (for server admins) that targets the approved and safe mods on the market for consistency checks.
    Perhaps incorporate it with DAK seeing as people can bypass the whitelist with that?
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2034470:date=Nov 25 2012, 05:51 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 25 2012, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If someone's willing to do it, making a server mod with all the required files to check for consistency and putting it on Steam Workshop would be really helpful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did just this and put it up on the steam workshop - <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110191332" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=110191332</a>

Due to the limit of 100 MB per workshop item I had to split the mod into 5 different sections. All sections are not necessarily required, but if you want to make sure people are not doing anything fishy then it's best to include them all.

The ID's for all parts of the collection: 6914a5b, 691166a, 6911373, 691299d, 6912b45

To avoid getting download errors I would recommend you only include 1 of the ID's at a time.

As has been mentioned above, the best solution is to install the client version on the server by changing the appid - However for people who don't have access to modify that then this mod is a good alternative.

Use the following ConsistencyConfig.json with this mod for best coverage:

{
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.fsb", "*.dds" "*.material", "*.level", "*.cinematic" ]
    }

<!--quoteo(post=2033830:date=Nov 24 2012, 07:52 PM:name=ZEROibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZEROibis @ Nov 24 2012, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can we only block the alien models? I think with the alien vision changed marine color does not matter much. I just want to be able to restrict skulk, leark and gorge as the rest do not really matter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you only want to restrict these then you can use only the alien parts of the extended consistency check:
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110176669" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=110176669</a>
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110177093" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=110177093</a>

And change your ConsistencyConfig.json to:

{
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template", "*.fsb", "*.dds" "*.material", "*.level", "*.cinematic" ]
    }
    <!--quoteo(post=2034767:date=Nov 26 2012, 02:40 PM:name=AussieKid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AussieKid @ Nov 26 2012, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Endar, let me know how you go with this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Up until now I've been keeping it in sync with what clowning does on the noGG servers. I think they might have some trouble getting this done quickly, since they may not have access to the app ID. I won't make any changes till I find out.
    <!--quoteo(post=2034913:date=Nov 25 2012, 11:14 PM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Nov 25 2012, 11:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did just this and put it up on the steam workshop - <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110191332" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file...s/?id=110191332</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wont this mods be downloaded to all clients too?
    i have a feeling...
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2035222:date=Nov 26 2012, 03:20 PM:name=kikaxa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kikaxa @ Nov 26 2012, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2035222"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wont this mods be downloaded to all clients too?
    i have a feeling...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, even server side only mods get downloaded to the clients for consistency. This is the main reason why this mod is not all inclusive.

Only the main models, materials, and shaders have been included for this mod to keep the file size as small as possible.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    So am I right in saying that everytime a player connects they will have to download a 100MB mod?

Which will means some severe connecting times?

Or have I got that wrong somewhere....

I really REALLY want to stop people using the re-textured aliens and marine models.

Thx

Unter
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Isn't this going to affect people with benign mods? Like, I've got a mod that changes the appearance of cysts (looks nicer), better minimaps, easier to read damage direction effect, etc.
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    do we have an updated one now since the patch is out?
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I feel like this is an issue that the UW developers should be looking to fix and not server operators. I have not seen or heard of any advancements made on their part to fix this issue. Seems like every time an issue is brought up on the forums everyone just pretends like it doesn't happen.
  • MalveMalve Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181030Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    How come most of the *.dds files doesn't hash?
    Does the below snippet mean that people can run custom skins on, for example, skulks but not on gorges?
    [...]
    Hashed 0 skulk*.dds files for consistency
    Hashed 0 fade*.dds files for consistency
    Hashed 0 lerk*.dds files for consistency
    Hashed 3 gorge*.dds files for consistency
    Hashed 0 onos*.dds files for consistency
    [...]
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    this is one problem that comes from a game being heavily moddable, and if you do consistency checks on these things, it kinda makes it pointless for the game to be moddable.

hard things, cheating will always be rampant, when you dont have pure servers, vacs, punkbusters, pbbans, bpbss's etc
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    does the server now include these files yet after the recent update?
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    not that I am aware of, purely based on folder sizes of the two, as I have one dedicated running 4940 and one running 4920, the 4940 folder is around 2.5GB, the 4920 folder is like 7.5GB