I Think Bile Bombs Should Be Looked At.

Comments

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    I'm still waiting to see a comic that features an exo saying he can't go in that room because gorges are there.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2032685:date=Nov 22 2012, 10:20 PM:name=BentRing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BentRing @ Nov 22 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm still waiting to see a comic that features an exo saying he can't go in that room because gorges are there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Commander! There's a Gurge in the Crugs! We need Flamthrawars!
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032664:date=Nov 22 2012, 10:13 PM:name=Daworm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daworm @ Nov 22 2012, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The amount of games I play and win without Onos and 1 or 2 gorge to heal all the attacking fades / lerks / skulks... This comment is factually incorrect<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So true,
    we were loosing the enemy was going to arc nuke our hive. They had 3 exos scattered across the map, they heavy pushed all sides.
    We ran ino their main base with 2 onos and 1 gorge and raped them royally
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032232:date=Nov 22 2012, 05:41 PM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 22 2012, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gorges are weak by themselves but with crags or other gorges they aren't. They can last a very impressive amount of time, and once again since they can be very easily replaced upon death and can attack by shooting a wall they aren't easy to kill because it's hard get at them and they can be healed very quickly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh my lord what is this? A single exo against 3 gorges in among structures in a heavily fortified alien location, AND YOU CAN'T WIN? Please nerf the gorge charlyyyyy
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    edited November 2012
    One thing to remember about gorges is that they take up a player. You can't compare them too closely to something like arcs because if you are playing say 8 vs 8 and have 2 gorges and 2 arcs that means the marine team still has 7 players on top of that but aliens only have 5.

Maybe you could compare them to a guy with a grenade launcher and a welder but with the launcher being nerfed and no one can crawl into the skin of a gorge after it dies and become it... and no pistol. And no ability to grab a jet pack and fly around the room. (although... flying gorges... i like that idea a lot)

I think exos need some work for sure, but i certainly don't think the answer is to nerf gorges.
  • d.n.M.d.n.M. Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166826Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032630:date=Nov 22 2012, 06:12 PM:name=Al_Ka_Pwn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Al_Ka_Pwn @ Nov 22 2012, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're missing the point, bile bomb in that instance would do damage to the welders, and to the exo, and if with 30 clogs running in and killing them isn't an option. Any kind of bunching up means that gorges can do a huge amount of damage to a lot of people. I don't think that making it so that gorge only do damage to EXOS on a direct hit would do anything but help exos see more use because as is they are underwhelming and the fact that they can be pushed back by a 10 rez unit is not good. And since 3 gorges can effectively delay an entire team and send them back, their 3 man team work > 8 man team work. heavies in NS1 had health on top of armor and had a useful jet pack, AND could weld each other. Exos lost all of this meaning bile bomb is a bit too strong against them specifically, not vs anything else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is no 8 man teamwork if the 5 non Exo guys are incapable of rushing those 3 gorges.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2032772:date=Nov 23 2012, 10:44 AM:name=LilbitHeartless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LilbitHeartless @ Nov 23 2012, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(although... flying gorges... i like that idea a lot)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fat Gorges with little devil wings confirmed for 3 Hive upgrade!
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lol at bile being op.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OP clearly hasn't played a gorge against an exo a single time. If he had, that thread would have never existed.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    edited November 2012
    Here are some actual, factual numbers for you.

Gorge Bile Bomb does 70 corrode damage per second, which means it only does damage to armor.

Exos only have armor, no health.

All corrode damage does 10% damage to players. and 20% damage to exos.. This means a Gorge does 7 damage per second to a Marine's armor, and 14 damage per second to an Exo.

Each Bile Bomb lasts 5 seconds.

For each bile bomb, you are doing 70 damage over 5 seconds to an Exo. Assuming the Exo has A3, you have to hit them with 7 Bile Bombs to kill them. This does not include welders keeping the Exo rolling.

Which means one Gorge alone is NOT going to kill any halfway competent Exo player by themselves. Let's throw welding into the picture.

Now, the balance files state that Exos are repaired via kArmorWeldRate, which I can't find in any of the balance files, so let's default to the player repair rate.

The welder repairs 30 damage with a refire rate of 0.2 seconds. That's 120/sec. This is what is in the files at least, but I will also be including the quoted 90/sec in the change log.

Bile bomb does 14 per second, whereas a welder can repair 120/sec (assuming the balance files are correct), or 90/sec assuming the change log is correct.

Now, since I cannot locate a specific refire rate for Bile Bomb, I am going to assume that it is set at 1 (I could be wrong).

Assuming the Gorge hits every Bile Bomb it upchucks in an Exo's general direction, we will watch damage compound. While the 14 per second of the first Bile Bomb ticks, so will the rest that hit. So we see damage compound per second, as so.

14, 28, 42, 56, 70

It will never do more than 70 damage per second to an Exo because the first Bile Bomb's duration has expired, and will go down the chain the same way as the Bile Bombs expire. Assuming the Gorge hits 5 Bile Bombs, and the Exo has no welder, the Exo will take 309 damage.

You would still need two Gorges to hit 5 Bile Bombs together, or one Gorge to hit 7 Bile Bombs. This is calculated using all of the total damage done by these Bile Bombs, meaning the Exo would die between 3-5 seconds after the Bile Bombs stopped.

And this is all assuming there isn't even one welder on the Exo.

One welding Marine will weld through one Gorge with no danger to himself outside of his armor being melted away, at the 120/sec the files indicate, or with the 90/sec in the change log. It would take two Gorges Bile Bombing to do minimal damage against an Exo with one welder, regardless of which welding speed is correct.

That Exo's minigun does 25 heavy damage (the same damage to health as to armor) per shot with 250 rounds before it overheats. (The document doesn't seem to include refire rate, but I would appreciate somebody helping on that one). A Gorge with Carapace has 150 HP, 150 armor.

That's twelve rounds from ONE minigun. Assuming it's a Dual Exo, that's 6 shots from each gun.

The Exo will dominate the Gorge every time without other aliens backing up the Gorge.

And for the sake of completeness, the Mac does 5 damage (welding) at 0.6 refire rate. MACs will NOT save your Exos from a Gorge.

Now, you cannot balance this game based on one Lifeform vs one weapon/suit, but if we were to go by that assumption...

Buff Bile Bombs! Make it so you cannot repair that which is covered in bile!

Seriously, though. Exos got quite a few buffs recently, and they're starting to get quite a bit more annoying than the Onos.

EDIT: TL;DR, an Exo will always beat a Gorge 1v1 assuming they're smart enough to kill the Gorge instead of running away, unless the Gorge has a good position, and that Exo has no welder on him. MATH'd.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    The key mistake i see people make is not take gorges seriously. The second the onos turns it's back take out the gorge unless you feel you are 1 mag away from killing the onos. Don't let gorges sit there and bile bomb the piss out of your main base with adrenalin. I do it all the time and it usually is very successful. just today we were on a very even match against a team and I got a IP, prottype lab, arms lab and phase gate in 1 ###### attack by myself. That simply just should not happen. often times people put too much focus on protecting the 2nd base you gained and have that more protected then the main one.

You dont like gorges killing your exos or arms labs? Stop and SHOOT HIM. They got such little health it's a joke.

Also don't put your ###### in 1 big pile that is easy to bile bomb. All too often prototype labs, observatorys, phase gates, arms labs are easily reachable w/o entering the marine base fully.
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033015:date=Nov 23 2012, 01:08 PM:name=Timarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Timarius @ Nov 23 2012, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That Exo's minigun does 25 heavy damage (the same damage to health as to armor) per shot with 250 rounds before it overheats. (The document doesn't seem to include refire rate, but I would appreciate somebody helping on that one). A Gorge with Carapace has 150 HP, 150 armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The numbers on the wiki usually don't add up so I decided to spend some time testing out damage values on the Exo out of sheer boredom. The Exo can fire for 5s before overheat and deals a total of 1150 damage with 1 minigun. That brings us to 230 damage per second and while fire rate isn't documented, it is safe to assume that it fires at the AR rate of 0.1s per shot. So that means a single-mini Exo does 23x10 per second x5 overall before overheating for a grand total of 1150 damage.

This is a bit offtopic, but these numbers also don't add up. To the best of my understanding, a dual-mini should have double the damage output of a single-mini Exo. This means that a dual-mini should do 1150x2 for a total of 2300 damage before overheating. The Onos has 1300+900 with Cara (used to be 1300+1000 right?) for a total of 2200 health against Heavy damage. This means that a dual-mini should be able to bring one down even before the 100 armor nerf the Onos received assuming all shots hits.

Now unless spawned lifeforms have different hp/armor values, a spawned Onos against a dual-mini will survive with roughly 1/4 of its hitpoints. This was conducted firing at point-blank range so ensure 100% accuracy. My damage values were conducted shooting a Hive and calculating the difference in hp/armor values.

So yeah long story short...numbers don't add up.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    A bunch of nonsense in this thread. Bilebomb is fine. A gorge shouldn't even be by himself unless he's building a hive or clogging/hydra-ing a hallway. Gorges are always useful as a mobile health station, and bile bomb turns an Onos rush into a complete disaster for the marine team. Heal the Onos and puke on everything, you guys can pretty reliably take out anything on the map. I especially love it when there's a observatory and a phase gate next to the power node. Easy targets!

Gorges kill ARCs faster than anything else can, same with MACs and mass quantities of every other marine structure. Also, two bomber gorges and some skulk rushing can keep 3 exos at bay, even with welders.

Hydras are underrated. They can be nasty if you place them right.

Clogs are extremely useful for wasting a Marine's time and alerting the aliens to attack locations.

Nothing about the Gorge sucks. It's all fun. Get over your sad K:D and enjoy the fact you can still top a scoreboard and go 3:24.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2033071:date=Nov 23 2012, 12:34 PM:name=PimpToad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PimpToad @ Nov 23 2012, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The numbers on the wiki usually don't add up so I decided to spend some time testing out damage values on the Exo out of sheer boredom. The Exo can fire for 5s before overheat and deals a total of 1150 damage with 1 minigun. That brings us to 230 damage per second and while fire rate isn't documented, it is safe to assume that it fires at the AR rate of 0.1s per shot. So that means a single-mini Exo does 23x10 per second x5 overall before overheating for a grand total of 1150 damage.

This is a bit offtopic, but these numbers also don't add up. To the best of my understanding, a dual-mini should have double the damage output of a single-mini Exo. This means that a dual-mini should do 1150x2 for a total of 2300 damage before overheating. The Onos has 1300+900 with Cara (used to be 1300+1000 right?) for a total of 2200 health against Heavy damage. This means that a dual-mini should be able to bring one down even before the 100 armor nerf the Onos received assuming all shots hits.

Now unless spawned lifeforms have different hp/armor values, a spawned Onos against a dual-mini will survive with roughly 1/4 of its hitpoints. This was conducted firing at point-blank range so ensure 100% accuracy. My damage values were conducted shooting a Hive and calculating the difference in hp/armor values.

So yeah long story short...numbers don't add up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, my numbers came directly from the balance files that the game uses.

If you're saying that the minigun only does 1150 per overheat, then something is off. I'll have to test it myself shortly.

EDIT: There is indeed something out of whack here. Maybe the Exo doesn't actually get one bullet per ammo ratio? Maybe the heat meter is 250, but the actual rounds coming out aren't the same. In which case, the Exo gets a little over 1k damage per overheat, that clocks in at a little over 40 rounds an overheat.

EDIT: Welding speeds do seem closer to 90/sec, but not exactly. Granted, it's not easy to calculate welding speeds by welding something in Explore mode.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2033071:date=Nov 23 2012, 02:34 PM:name=PimpToad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PimpToad @ Nov 23 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The numbers on the wiki usually don't add up so I decided to spend some time testing out damage values on the Exo out of sheer boredom. The Exo can fire for 5s before overheat and deals a total of 1150 damage with 1 minigun. That brings us to 230 damage per second and while fire rate isn't documented, it is safe to assume that it fires at the AR rate of 0.1s per shot. So that means a single-mini Exo does 23x10 per second x5 overall before overheating for a grand total of 1150 damage.

So yeah long story short...numbers don't add up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hive's heal at least a couple of ticks while you're shooting at them.
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    bilebomb's fine, if it can hit more than one exo at a time, and get off more than one shot, marines are probalby doing it wrong.
  • JuomariJuomari Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167141Members
    with your logic marine's are overpowered.

with only 0res you get fully functional endgame marine into the combat.

there you have it, your balance.
    <!--quoteo(post=2033193:date=Nov 23 2012, 04:10 PM:name=Juomari)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juomari @ Nov 23 2012, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033193"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->with your logic marine's are overpowered.

with only 0res you get fully functional endgame marine into the combat.

there you have it, your balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And faster than you get a skulk, too!
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    My problem with bile is that it is fixed damage. So it's OP versus small stuff and OK versus via stuff. I'd much rather see bile doing % damage instead, so that it can scale and stay in line with all structures and units evenly.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    I'm absolutely against further nerfing aliens, especially bile bomb since it's currently the only good counter against ARCs and Exo trains.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2033762:date=Nov 24 2012, 03:37 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Nov 24 2012, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2033762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My problem with bile is that it is fixed damage. So it's OP versus small stuff and OK versus via stuff. I'd much rather see bile doing % damage instead, so that it can scale and stay in line with all structures and units evenly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you saying that you don't like how weak things die quickly but strong things take longer? Isn't that the entire point of having weak or strong things?

What's broken is when an ability takes as long to kill a MAC as it does a CC. There's no way to come out of that with a good ability.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    And Bile Bomb in it's current state means basically GG if aliens lose their second Hive and thus Bile Bomb to counter ARCs and Exos that get escorted by MAC spam.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I'd like to see it do more damage against exos so it forces them out of the fight to heal up rather than tanking everything
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2032220:date=Nov 22 2012, 10:27 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 22 2012, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge dies in 1 LMG mag. There's your counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you win, sir
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I only find Bile to be particularly strong when exo teams are in tight corridors. It seems almost impossible to push through when they have crags, whips out of line of sight, shades, etc with 3+ gorges. Can't break it easily with LMG/SG rines running in, difficult to break with nades, FL puts you in melee of whips, exo and ARCS gets ###### on by bile.

The only option is counter-attack but that leaves Exo teams weaker and susceptible to an Onos charge
  • BabaganoushBabaganoush Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172398Members
    edited November 2012
    I love Bile Bomb.

I can easily damage a whole bunch of marine/exo armor while cowering behind my Onos/Fade bros with my skulkettes. Not to mention the little extra of hindering Exo vision.

That one LMG mag? Yeah he never reached me.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    edited November 2012
    Just an FYI, but you don't have to be in range of a whip to flamethrower it. Not to mention exo's rape them in no time flat, even with crags.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2032220:date=Nov 22 2012, 05:27 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Nov 22 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2032220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge dies in 1 LMG mag. There's your counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what he said.

Easy counter to the problem.
    Add teamwork to it and you'll beat him soon enough :)

If the Gorge manages to bomb your base while the rest of his teammates are in there causing havoc he deserves to win :)
  • OlljOllj our themepark-stalking nightmare Fade Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10696Members
    edited November 2012
    Gorges are op, expecially on pubs were sentries are much better than almost all players on the server and people dont know what a welder is.

Still, if i tell my alien team to go gorge for the whole first 2 minutes and still see 0 gorges, we lose and they complqin why I had to build whips in the hive that just died.
  • LilbitHeartlessLilbitHeartless Join Date: 2012-11-19 Member: 172517Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2034201:date=Nov 25 2012, 04:05 AM:name=Babaganoush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Babaganoush @ Nov 25 2012, 04:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2034201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love Bile Bomb.

I can easily damage a whole bunch of marine/exo armor while cowering behind my Onos/Fade bros with my skulkettes. Not to mention the little extra of hindering Exo vision.

That one LMG mag? Yeah he never reached me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Out of curiosity, are you also healing? In situations where it's just me as a gorge and I have Onos, Fades, and skulks around me, if I'm biling I usually getting people freaking out wanting heals.. and bile bomb costs a ton of energy. I basically just try to do both but from the sound of your post you just bile bomb like crazy while using your bros as a bullet shields. Which I actually think work well but I feel bad not using most of my energy for heals.