Public service announcement regarding hacking proof:

ZaggyZaggy NullPointerExceptionThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
[color=orange]<div class="IPBDescription">Please do NOT post threads about hacking proof!
</div>I've seen a couple posts about hacking proof now.
Thanks for the reports but please communicate them directly to tech-support@unknownworlds.com, not the forums, thanks!
Note: the threads with proof were moved to community moderator forum.
<i>
edit: added email address</i>

<i>edit: changed thread title to be more descriptive, changed email address notation as it showed as a URL instead of an email address.</i>[/color]

Comments

• ruthven78ruthven78 Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171330Members
    why not? people complain about hackers then the community slams them for not providing proof....I was just providing the proof they were asking for
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    Crap, they caught me :/
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2024505:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:22 PM:name=ruthven78)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruthven78 @ Nov 15 2012, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why not? people complain about hackers then the community slams them for not providing proof....I was just providing the proof they were asking for<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We do not publicly shame people on the forums.
    I've mailed Charlie about the proof, let them figure out what to do.
  • ruthven78ruthven78 Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171330Members
    I also reported it to steam, hopefully he gets his entire steam account banned
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I should probably sticky this.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    I know the saying "innocent until proven gulty" but must you really hide these could be cheaters a la anne frank? for what purpose? if the person in fact was cheating, a public denouncing is in question, if not, that person has a chance to refute and prove the accuser wrong. hiding the identity of these cheaters just causes problems. if one of them happens to be a real cheater, he could be banned from all servers (given the admins see the post) but instead, you hide them and protect them.

I dont understand.
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024713:date=Nov 15 2012, 10:07 AM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Nov 15 2012, 10:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know the saying "innocent until proven gulty" but must you really hide these could be cheaters a la anne frank? for what purpose? if the person in fact was cheating, a public denouncing is in question, if not, that person has a chance to refute and prove the accuser wrong. hiding the identity of these cheaters just causes problems. if one of them happens to be a real cheater, he could be banned from all servers (given the admins see the post) but instead, you hide them and protect them.

I dont understand.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We don't want a witch hunt. It doesn't matter if they have a chance to prove themselves, all it takes is 1 player to slander someone who is legit and you could easily ruin the game for someone who otherwise happens to have a lot of experience. They are trying to protect players who are legit, and if the players are hackers they will deal with them.

It has been like this since the beginning of online gaming. If you're new to this and you keep trying to make a big deal out of it, expect to be have action taken against you. Nobody likes fire starters, I certainly learned the hard way with my early online experiences.
    It is not a witch hunt. if the person believes he has strong evidence against someone and provides it, well, hes in his right to do so. Or does police not take reports because they dont want a "witch hunt"? cmon now.

I could care less if they cheat or not. in fact, I wasnt even going to post on the hacker posts because well, I didnt care, but when i saw they started being actively protected (guilty or not) I decided to.

Videos and information like this is useful for everyone, people can learn to identify hackers (if theyw ere indeed hacking) or they can learn to identify those with really good skills. yet it is all being covered witha veil of secrecy fit of the US goverment (cackle)

sad.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024790:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:17 AM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Nov 15 2012, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is not a witch hunt. if the person believes he has strong evidence against someone and provides it, well, hes in his right to do so. Or does police not take reports because they dont want a "witch hunt"? cmon now.

I could care less if they cheat or not. in fact, I wasnt even going to post on the hacker posts because well, I didnt care, but when i saw they started being actively protected (guilty or not) I decided to.

Videos and information like this is useful for everyone, people can learn to identify hackers (if theyw ere indeed hacking) or they can learn to identify those with really good skills. yet it is all being covered witha veil of secrecy fit of the US goverment (cackle)

sad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you take your evidence to social gatherings and post it up in the form of fliers all over the public commonplace rather than taking it to the police department?

If you're going to use an analogy pick something that won't sound so silly when we compare it to what players are doing on the forums.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024505:date=Nov 16 2012, 12:22 AM:name=ruthven78)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruthven78 @ Nov 16 2012, 12:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why not? people complain about hackers then the community slams them for not providing proof....I was just providing the proof they were asking for<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As having been a major forum moderator / gm myself for a couple of MMOs in the past I can agree with the announcement.
    Posting links to the hacks and/or denouncing people who do it only adds to the problem.

Reporting it privately via the appropriate channels ensure it gets resolved and less people are aware of it to utilise it and thus destroy the community more.
    <!--quoteo(post=2025367:date=Nov 16 2012, 12:42 AM:name=BearTornado)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTornado @ Nov 16 2012, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you take your evidence to social gatherings and post it up in the form of fliers all over the public commonplace rather than taking it to the police department?

If you're going to use an analogy pick something that won't sound so silly when we compare it to what players are doing on the forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it is something that is important, involves everyone and should be known by everyone/everyone should be aware then yes, most likely.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2024515:date=Nov 15 2012, 03:33 PM:name=ruthven78)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruthven78 @ Nov 15 2012, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also reported it to steam, hopefully he gets his entire steam account banned<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope he doesn't get banned, because it isn't a cheat!
    He just wrote "maxfps 5" in the console. And I hope the Mods/DEVs know about this bug!

If you say someone is cheating be 100% sure he is cheating and not using a Bug, has Lag etc., that video shows it very clear that he isn't speeding, because he doesn't fast knife the buildings.

So no proof for me, because everybody can do it!
    <!--quoteo(post=2025648:date=Nov 16 2012, 06:05 AM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Nov 16 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If it is something that is important, involves everyone and should be known by everyone/everyone should be aware then yes, most likely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well then its a good thing you're not the one who gets to make those decisions.
    <!--quoteo(post=2026057:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:14 PM:name=BearTornado)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTornado @ Nov 16 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well then its a good thing you're not the one who gets to make those decisions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know right? its also a good thing that I usually give 0 ###### about what people say online.

its a win win situation for us it seems.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Community rules, deal with it ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=2026122:date=Nov 16 2012, 05:15 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 16 2012, 05:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Community rules, deal with it ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will, I just dont like this whole situation at all
  • purephoenixpurephoenix Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172074Members
    edited November 2012
    I used to have times where i would hit 100% accuracy in NS1, the rule is important to follow.
    I had thousands of haccusations because i'd never miss for up to a whole day at a time - even other veterans were extremely close to beleiving that i was aimbotting. I probably got demoed + reported hundreds of times and after a while peoples' attitudes towards me changed really drastically.

After a while it didn't matter wether i was legit or not, people still treated me like crap because my aim was just TOO good. It didn't matter that i had no snap + lock and couldn't perfectly track, or that i shot different parts of the skulk/fade etc every time. It didn't matter that i cuold compensate for hitbox lag and visibly miss the model but land on the hitbox to do damage still.

As far as the Aus/oceana NS community is concerned, i'm an aimbotter that never got detected or banned -.-
    I had to go to WoW because other players were just being really toxic towards me and i wasn't enjoying my matches. Even my ex-gf that i met over NS was very stand-offish towards me and never asked me to join her clan or anything.

My aiming skills suck now, from not playing FPS for abuot 5 years... but i still get treated cautiously by the NS1 vets i see in NS2 D:

Haccusations are a very serious item. Please take them as such and keep the reports private.

edit #2; As a reference to how high of a skill cap there is in this game, i posted in another thread some old screenshots from my NS1 combat games. These were 15 minute matches against some of the best players in australia;
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want to talk high skill caps? Here's an example;
    This was taken at the peak of NS1 competitive play. Hybrid, R18 and PSi were the 3 biggest clans iirc. We're going back abuot 5 years ago, it's hard to remember exactly. It was just before NS1 really died in australia and we all moved onto WoW or something.

This is combat too, where you're constantly mauled 24/7 by every type of enemy. The dodging skills required to survive in combat and get a decent score are inhumanly high.

<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexytool/games/?action=view&current=co_pulse0000.jpg" target="_blank">http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexy...o_pulse0000.jpg</a>
    s5 / [ r ] i think were in the top 5 still. Not part of the big 3, but meh. I really was surprised i got that score against those players, thus the screenshot taking.

<a href="http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexytool/games/?action=view&current=co_faceoff0001.gif" target="_blank">http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexy...faceoff0001.gif</a>
    This score against amckern, 'nuff said. Guy is ###### godlike.

This is in 1024x768 ona ###### p4 with ti4200 and only averaging 50-70 fps lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I think that UWE (and game devs in general) need to be more proactive about highlighting people who have been banned.
    The fact everyone can do something is not a reason to say its not hacking, everyone could download an aimbot.
    Hacking is not simply using wall hacks and aimbots...but altering the game code, generally in ways unintended, to give you an advantage.

I agree that innocence until guilt is proven is important...but once its been proven...TAR AND FEATHER time.

I have always liked that valve periodically announce numbers of players banned...I would like to see things taken 1 step further and have confirmed banned players listed by either Valve or UWE.

I know how we dont like to talk about whether someone may be hacking but once its proven I say name them.
    At the very least let people know how many people got banned for NS2 hacks with latest round of VAC.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2039044:date=Dec 2 2012, 06:55 PM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Dec 2 2012, 06:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2039044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that UWE (and game devs in general) need to be more proactive about highlighting people who have been banned.
    The fact everyone can do something is not a reason to say its not hacking, everyone could download an aimbot.
    Hacking is not simply using wall hacks and aimbots...but altering the game code, generally in ways unintended, to give you an advantage.

I agree that innocence until guilt is proven is important...but once its been proven...TAR AND FEATHER time.

I have always liked that valve periodically announce numbers of players banned...I would like to see things taken 1 step further and have confirmed banned players listed by either Valve or UWE.

I know how we dont like to talk about whether someone may be hacking but once its proven I say name them.
    At the very least let people know how many people got banned for NS2 hacks with latest round of VAC.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

can you tell me precisely what you think this will achieve?
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=2047799:date=Dec 19 2012, 02:24 AM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Dec 19 2012, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can you tell me precisely what you think this will achieve?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess if I thought about hacking it would me make consider twice if I knew that in steam per month 1000 people are generally banned from all multiplayer matches of a game because of cheating.

I think it is important to show people that hacking is actually punished. I mean in some games like BF3 you are not even really punished for cheating. They reset your score. Big deal... premium players pay for this feature. So basically I know I can cheat once without serious consequences. WTF?

I also think if you are caught cheating your team account should be banned from all multiplayer matches of this game forever. Also your steam name and ingame nicks should be added to a cheater blacklist that can be accessed by anyone interested. Also there should be weekly or monthly announcements like "25 ppl banned from NS2 for aimbot, 45 ppl banned from NS2 for wallhack.... etc"
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2047799:date=Dec 19 2012, 12:24 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Dec 19 2012, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2047799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can you tell me precisely what you think this will achieve?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Help show/remind the community that VAC is running its little behind off in the background, banning people for using hack.
    One of the reasons people come to forums and try to name and shame is so they can get some sense of satisfaction that this person will be "dealt with" if they are hacking.

People like to know the crime stats in their state/country which is why this data is made publicly available.
    The same should be done with VAC, we dont need details of names but to know they are still out there catching people.

Steam do (or atleast did) occasionally come out with stats around the number of people banned.
    If you cant understand why letting people know how many have been banned in last 3 months then study human psychology as its a pretty basic idea.

By having people being made aware that people are banned for hacking helps you tolerate that hacker you may happen across as you know his time is limited.
    Which in turn will mean fewer posts in forums about someone hacking.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Email adress in the first post needs proper formatting.
    Hamlet wrote: »
    Email adress in the first post needs proper formatting.

Thanks!
    Updated first post.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    I used to have times where i would hit 100% accuracy in NS1, the rule is important to follow.
    I had thousands of haccusations because i'd never miss for up to a whole day at a time - even other veterans were extremely close to beleiving that i was aimbotting. I probably got demoed + reported hundreds of times and after a while peoples' attitudes towards me changed really drastically.

After a while it didn't matter wether i was legit or not, people still treated me like crap because my aim was just TOO good. It didn't matter that i had no snap + lock and couldn't perfectly track, or that i shot different parts of the skulk/fade etc every time. It didn't matter that i cuold compensate for hitbox lag and visibly miss the model but land on the hitbox to do damage still.

As far as the Aus/oceana NS community is concerned, i'm an aimbotter that never got detected or banned -.-
    I had to go to WoW because other players were just being really toxic towards me and i wasn't enjoying my matches. Even my ex-gf that i met over NS was very stand-offish towards me and never asked me to join her clan or anything.

My aiming skills suck now, from not playing FPS for abuot 5 years... but i still get treated cautiously by the NS1 vets i see in NS2 D:

Haccusations are a very serious item. Please take them as such and keep the reports private.

edit #2; As a reference to how high of a skill cap there is in this game, i posted in another thread some old screenshots from my NS1 combat games. These were 15 minute matches against some of the best players in australia;
    QUOTE You want to talk high skill caps? Here's an example;
    This was taken at the peak of NS1 competitive play. Hybrid, R18 and PSi were the 3 biggest clans iirc. We're going back abuot 5 years ago, it's hard to remember exactly. It was just before NS1 really died in australia and we all moved onto WoW or something.

This is combat too, where you're constantly mauled 24/7 by every type of enemy. The dodging skills required to survive in combat and get a decent score are inhumanly high.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexy...o_pulse0000.jpg
    s5 / [ r ] i think were in the top 5 still. Not part of the big 3, but meh. I really was surprised i got that score against those players, thus the screenshot taking.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexy...faceoff0001.gif

This is in 1024x768 ona ###### p4 with ti4200 and only averaging 50-70 fps lol

sorry who are you?

• ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    I think he is sexy tool
  • motsewmotsew Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22001Members
    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexy...o_pulse0000.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/sexy...faceoff0001.gif

This is in 1024x768 ona ###### p4 with ti4200 and only averaging 50-70 fps lol

Those scores mean absolutely nothing in Combat. Once you were a high enough level as a fade, you were practically invincible with all the upgrades.

• Karma.AUKarma.AU Join Date: 2012-04-02 Member: 149842Members
    I understand why you don't want public accusations flying around, but UWE needs to be much more active and transparent in this area. NS2 is far too exposed to exploits in consistentcy let alone third party injections.

Also, just to correct the record:

Actually the AusNS community barely remembers who you are.
    As a reference to how high of a skill cap there is in this game, i posted in another thread some old screenshots from my NS1 combat games. These were 15 minute matches against some of the best players in australia;

These are pathetic and prove nothing.
    This was taken at the peak of NS1 competitive play. Hybrid, R18 and PSi were the 3 biggest clans iirc.

As someone who was actually in PSi, you have no idea what you're talking about.

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    Unfortunately, I've had to challenge my typical "they're probably not hacking" stance when playing with a few players recently. They did stuff I haven't seen any player do (no matter how good). It definitely seems like there are some wallhacks/aimbots that are starting to become popular, which is a real shame.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    the NS2 community and UWE need to take action in this sooner rather then later, when potentail hackers see that there is nothing being done about hacks, there will be more, and when theres more, there will be less legitimate players and the player base will die out slowly
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Unfortunately, I've had to challenge my typical "they're probably not hacking" stance when playing with a few players recently. They did stuff I haven't seen any player do (no matter how good). It definitely seems like there are some wallhacks/aimbots that are starting to become popular, which is a real shame.

What about people like myself with a "6th sense"?
    Sometimes I just "know" there's a skulk with silence closing in on my ass.