fade - blocking

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
<div class="IPBDescription">the street fighter</div>When I was playing fade the other night it reminded me more of the play style you get in 1vs1 fighting games like street fighter.

One of the things that makes those games have such good flow is that ability to block - at the expense of moving closer to your opponent to land a hit.

So what if the fade was able to block by holding the walk backwards key. That way when you are walking backwards away from a marine, the fade could deflect say 50% of the bullets with its large boney claws. (and it would possibly take energy from you each succesful block)

So now a fade in battle would have this "dance" that you do with a marine or group of marines. You'd be blinking and shadow stepping to close distance, and blocking any big hits inbetween your attacks.

It would really help to seperate the fade from the lerk too.

This would be a 3rd hive ability i guess.

Comments

• {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=2022547:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:16 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Nov 13 2012, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When I was playing fade the other night it reminded me more of the play style you get in 1vs1 fighting games like street fighter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you ever played street fighter?
  • Dr. RocksoDr. Rockso Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75114Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022900:date=Nov 14 2012, 06:10 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Nov 14 2012, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you ever played street fighter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<i>Sorry, but What a useless comment. I wonder why people even bother opening their mouths if there is nothing to say.

Maybe you could specify <u>why</u> you think he's never played street fighter instead of providing unhelpful, negative feedback - a critique or thoughtful reply always works and is, more often than not, appreciated</i>.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand...

This rings a bell from the dev post a while back about game balancing/structuring -- with attacks, counter-attacks, counters to counter-attacks and so forth -- which is likely what you were talking about, when referring to street fighter.

Sounds like an interesting idea, as there really isn't much use for fades late game (especially when the marines have their weapons upgrades). I don't know too much about how the aliens take damage -- <u>I assumed that the front side of an onos would be able to shield a lot more damage than from behind (much like a tank is protected from the front and vulnerable as the sides/tracks), so I think it would be an interesting move to add this or similar ability to the fade (which is paper-thin, even with carapace) so it could provide as a sort of riot shield and support late game</u>.

Seems as though there is a rush for fades early on for a quick alien domination and very little to no use for them when exos and jetpacks (and upgrades) roll out, but that's just based on the experience that I have. <u>It would be nice to see more fades late-game, as they are fairly expensive (50 res) and quite useless (compared to 50 res single-mini exo), so some sort of defensive feature would be great</u>.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022900:date=Nov 14 2012, 05:10 PM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Nov 14 2012, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you ever played street fighter?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah street fighter is the first person game with the teleporting alien right?.....
  • ShinigamlShinigaml Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69315Members
    edited November 2012
    Blocking 50% of the shots < Blinks intelligently away.

Blocking more than 50% of the shots = Still useless
    Blocking 90-.... forget it.

To be nice, it seems new players don't understand HOW to play fades effectively.
    If you even consider the idea of blocking 50% while backpedaling, it shows one's lack of understanding of the Fade utilities. No offense..

Even if there were a 50% blocking while pressing the S key, I would NEVER EVER, in my right mind use it.
    Fades are meant to be silent assassin, QUOTED by UWE themselves. This blocking negates the whole point of being a stealth lifeform.
    Trust me but, if you are dieing as a fade that quick, you are not playing it right.
    <!--quoteo(post=2024416:date=Nov 15 2012, 11:19 AM:name=Shinigaml)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shinigaml @ Nov 15 2012, 11:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Blocking 50% of the shots < Blinks intelligently away.

Blocking more than 50% of the shots = Still useless
    Blocking 90-.... forget it.

To be nice, it seems new players don't understand HOW to play fades effectively.
    If you even consider the idea of blocking 50% while backpedaling, it shows one's lack of understanding of the Fade utilities. No offense..

Even if there were a 50% blocking while pressing the S key, I would NEVER EVER, in my right mind use it.
    Fades are meant to be silent assassin, QUOTED by UWE themselves. This blocking negates the whole point of being a stealth lifeform.
    Trust me but, if you are dieing as a fade that quick, you are not playing it right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point. Still, it would be nice to see fades still useful in later game. Maybe there is something in the works, along the lines of balancing or whatever, but I remember the fades were actually fairly well armored (back in NS1) and actually useful even towards the end. Like I said, it seems to quickly drop out once the marines have their upgrades (fades, are fairly useless, considering that they are vulnerable using blink) - so <u>I can imagine that there is some kind of scaling of carapace protection (maybe increases as a percentage over each successive hive?).</u>

I'm not a fade expert, but I find that fade is a total waste of res (especially when marines have their upgrades, unless aliens have early dominance) - I always seem to go down trying to escape with blink. <u>It would be nice to see the fade's power match up to the 50 res exo in later game</u>.
    I just saw another thread titled "Bring back focus" -- now, if they were serious about making the fade a silent assassin, this would be something to consider:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124531" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=124531</a>

Currently, Lerk is the assassin - Fade is just the 2nd rate hitman.
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    Fade is good because it has enough HP to take a direct hit and still survive to get out. A good Fade can keep an enemy team hunkered down for a long time, more than a Lerk or Skulk, because he's both faster, does more damage and has more health.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like this idea for adding more varied gameplay but I do not see how it would help late game fades. I personally don't have a problem in late game as a fade.