setting up a server

jdb1917jdb1917 Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170742Members
<div class="IPBDescription">having issues with my server</div>i've followed everything in the wiki to the letter, however when i host my server i can see it in lan mode while my friends can not see it at all. i searched through the wiki, but ut doesn't seem like i missed a step. is there something im missing in the set up process?

Comments

• MunchkinMunchkin Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170673Members
    You opened up the ports? If you did have them connect to the server from the console by typing <!--fonto:Lucida Console--><span style="font-family:Lucida Console"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->connect 123.123.46.45:27015<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--> port number not needed though unless you've changed it.

I have issues with my own servers not showing up for myself sometimes but you can add them to your server list in steam and not use the in game server list.
  • jdb1917jdb1917 Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170742Members
    yes, both ports are open, and i can see my server myself, but t has a (LAN) tag attached to it and im not sure why its showing up. thinks this is what is causing issues for my friends.
  • MunchkinMunchkin Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170673Members
    I can assume you didn't get them to connect to the server using the command connect from the console. Also it will show as lan for you because it's a lan game for you.
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    I host 2 servers off of my own machine - and when I look in the server browser it shows it on their twice for each server.

This way i know it is for sure on there.

look in console - see if you see this :

Connected to Steam servers