Infestation obscures terrain features and makes it difficult to learn a map layout

hyperrifthyperrift Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75714Members
Please consider this feedback from someone that was an active casual NS1 player for years (walkingcarpet). I pre-ordered NS2 as soon as it was available, as well as buying some copies for my friends. I've been avoiding playing NS2 while it matured in optimization. After playing last night, one thing really seemed like an issue.

<b>Problem:</b>
The dynamic infestation effect is too obtrusive. When everywhere looks like a green blob, how is one supposed to navigate?

Players learn to navigate maps by building a mental model of the map in their head. Natural Selection's maps are generally composed of identifiable named regions with a distinct look and feel.

When covered with infestation, they lose all of their visual signature. The infestation covers terrain and alters the topography with its 3D bubbling, leaving almost no usable information. This makes it difficult to learn a map, and causes areas to blend together.

I found this particularly frustrating as alien, because of the lack of an always-active minimap. Yes, I know you can press the Map key for a full view.

<b>Proposed solution:</b>
Reapproach the infestation art with the goal of adding a moderate amount of transparency. This would retain the visual signature of different areas, and it would retain the geometry information that is currently occluded by the opaque infestation model.

Comments

• convarconvar Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164805Members
    This is why we have a minimap feature. Press and hold the C button.
  • hyperrifthyperrift Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75714Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022414:date=Nov 13 2012, 09:05 PM:name=convar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (convar @ Nov 13 2012, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is why we have a minimap feature. Press and hold the C button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would anyone else like to show that they did not read the full post? Regardless, a minimap feature does not appropriately address the issues at hand.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Transparency is not currently in the engine but they are eager to get it implemented. As for whether or not they use it on the infestation, I can't say.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • convarconvar Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164805Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022417:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:07 PM:name=hyperrift)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hyperrift @ Nov 13 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would anyone else like to show that they did not read the full post?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The reasons TC specified as to why it's hard to navigate and learn the maps doesn't make sense to me. I still learned them just fine even with infestation all over. Also, yes I did read the full post. There's a reason the game has a minimap feature. Use it.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Just do what I do. Set infestation to "minimal" until you've learned the map layout.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2022423:date=Nov 14 2012, 06:11 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Nov 14 2012, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just do what I do. Set infestation to "minimal" until you've learned the map layout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly what I do. Minimal makes infestation a flat texture. Still looks <i>ok</i>
  • SpaceJewSpaceJew Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157584Members
    If you aren't looking at the map every few seconds anyway, you're missing out on a ton of tactically vital information. If the maps are hard for you to learn, well, hopefully all the other things you have to learn won't make you rage quit because learning the map is probably the easy part. Either way, it comes with time. Good luck!
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I'd really like it if full infestation was made less intrusive, or a medium option was added. It's mostly good but vents and corners are often blocked or a chunk sticks out of a wall or prop. I really like how it looks and minimal is pretty terrible, so a compromise would be great.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    I understand what you're saying, but it's worth it IMO, the infestation looks great. Just learn the map without it and it's not that disorienting when it gets added. Maybe it should be a little less dense on the walls though, it's not like it needs to be there anyway.

The people saying to just look at the map constantly are missing the point, the map is a crutch that will prevent you from ever intuitively knowing the layout of the level. You should know the rooms like the back of your hand and only use the map to gain information about other players/structures.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    I'd like it to be a little less fluffy. Feel like I'm zipping through a bouncey castle made of infestation.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022455:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:36 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 13 2012, 02:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The people saying to just look at the map constantly are missing the point, the map is a crutch that will prevent you from ever intuitively knowing the layout of the level. You should know the rooms like the back of your hand and only use the map to gain information about other players/structures.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The map is an integral and vital piece of information, and is in <i>no way</i> a crutch. Do you say the same thing when you're trying to drive across the state, or do you <i>read the map</i>? On top of that, the fact you can see any enemy structures that your team is seeing? It's literally required for you to look at the map, and look at it often. If you aren't, it's part of why you fail.

Over time, you will eventually learn the layout. You will <i>still</i> use the map. You just won't use it for the same things.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Being killed prevents me from learning the map. UWE Halp.
    <!--quoteo(post=2022472:date=Nov 13 2012, 02:56 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 13 2012, 02:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being killed prevents me from learning the map. UWE Halp.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. Even in games like Battlefield you needed to look at the map when you just started playing. Playing it <i>a lot</i> will teach you, and a map will teach you faster. Maps are as old as freakin' human history, yet video game players can't ever be bothered to use them. I just don't understand some people.

Most of them reply with 'I don't learn with maps!', which makes me wonder if they learn at all...
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it taking some time to learn maps. As you play more games on a map you'll learn the layout regardless if there's infestation. I think the current graphical implementation of infestation isn't final, so who knows what it may end up like.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    This whole thread is irrelevant. Even if you ignore the fact that infestation has been around since the beginning but players still somehow, by the grace of god, managed to learn the maps, what about refinery? New players have played refinery just as much as the beta playing vets have, and I bet you would find that a greater proportion of the beta players learned that map faster than new ones.

That clearly indicates that the problem lies with you, not the game.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I love the way the infestation covers vents, crawling through a hidden vent in the wall is awesome. I'm bummed to find out that some people see right through it though by changing a setting, that seems a little advantageous for running low settings but that's kinda how most games are to some extent.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2022467:date=Nov 13 2012, 12:47 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Nov 13 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like it to be a little less fluffy. Feel like I'm zipping through a bouncey castle made of infestation.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I love that though! As a skulk it makes it feel like my home! It's like a nice warm foamy blanket.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Minimal infestation is better, especially when the blob infestation can kinda hide cysts and is overall hard on the eyes.

The devs should really make it a bit flatter.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Transparency is not in the engine? Um, okay... what's the effect when you put a shade somewhere called then, translucency? o_0

But yeah, I've actually found the new infestation a little obtrusive here and there. The blobs can almost completely cover vent entrances especially. Not sure what an elegant and easy solution would be. Maybe decrease the infestation height just a tiny bit?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2022632:date=Nov 13 2012, 06:18 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 13 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Transparency is not in the engine? Um, okay... what's the effect when you put a shade somewhere called then, translucency? o_0<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably something along the lines of the nanoshield effect, but the same size of the model and having the original model dissolve.

The game has a couple of visual hacks like how they made transparent glass props.
  • PF_PF_ Join Date: 2012-11-10 Member: 169217Members
    There's too much 3D in infestation. It looks great but covers too much of the maps geometry. I'd like to see a toned down version of it. Or maybe even better if there was a slider in game preferences that would adjust 3D infestation depth. If we can adjust FOV then why not infestation's depth.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2022471:date=Nov 13 2012, 04:53 PM:name=SpaceJew)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SpaceJew @ Nov 13 2012, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The map is an integral and vital piece of information, and is in <i>no way</i> a crutch. Do you say the same thing when you're trying to drive across the state, or do you <i>read the map</i>? On top of that, the fact you can see any enemy structures that your team is seeing? It's literally required for you to look at the map, and look at it often. If you aren't, it's part of why you fail.

Over time, you will eventually learn the layout. You will <i>still</i> use the map. You just won't use it for the same things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Obviously I use the map. But it's vastly easier to memorize the room layouts if you put it away. To use your analogy, it's like using your GPS to navigate every time you get in the car. Yeah you'll eventually memorize your drive to work, but I bet you don't remember half the streets you've been on outside of that. When you're following easy instructions your brain stops actually processing your surroundings.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2022677:date=Nov 13 2012, 05:57 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 13 2012, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously I use the map. But it's vastly easier to memorize the room layouts if you put it away. To use your analogy, it's like using your GPS to navigate every time you get in the car. Yeah you'll eventually memorize your drive to work, but I bet you don't remember half the streets you've been on outside of that. When you're following easy instructions your brain stops actually processing your surroundings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So is that why they added the blue arrows on the ground for Marine players to find way points? Hmm...odd that I don't hear you complaining about that if the map and infestation is such a bloody obstacle to your learning process.

I feel like I'm being trolled if you think being able to look at the layout of the entire map at once is somehow detrimental to learning the map.

It sounds like you just want your hand held like it is on the Marines team, to be honest. Infestation is awesome, and in no way limits my ability to learn maps. Maybe I'm a genius, but I sincerely doubt that's the case. It's definitely an issue on your end, not to be mean. You <i>will</i> learn the maps eventually, but saying that infestation that doesn't vastly change the geometry of a room hurts your ability to learn is, to put it nicely, redonkulous. Especially when there is already a minimal infestation option, just in case there are people that think like you do.

One final point, how would you <i>ever</i> learn the name of a location <i>without</i> the map? Very few locations have a vegas-style lit sign notifying you of where you are, or where you need to be. It is literally <i>impossible</i> to learn the location names without the map, which negates any downside you might have in learning locations with infestation.
  • HyperformsHyperforms Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166912Members
    If you're not looking at infestation, you're looking at metal corridors. One is just as mundane as the other. Agree with others on popping up the map every few seconds.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    There is no excuse for not having your map open whenever you aren't fighting or expecting a fight. It shows where all your allies are, where enemies they see are, areas under attack, and gives you a great idea of where you should be and when. I find the more I play the more my map stays open so I can be at the important places before the comm has to ask.

Using this method inevitably gives you a good sense of the map layout and makes you a better player on top of that.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2022632:date=Nov 14 2012, 09:18 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Nov 14 2012, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Transparency is not in the engine? Um, okay... what's the effect when you put a shade somewhere called then, translucency? o_0<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->Haha I wish I knew. I've often wondered about that, and the glass props. But that's what the devs have said.

One thing they want to do once proper transparency is in is make alien eggs translucent and have the little tadpole thing inside turn as you look around. So like when marines are near you wanna stay still or they'll know you're in that egg and kill you. lol<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    INfestation is fine for the most part, its supposed to cover the map, and not the flat and boring.

But sometimes it coveres vents almost entirely, thus it can be hard to find the vent entrance even with map.