[Spark Editor] Where do I begin?

RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
edited November 2012 in Mapping
If you have questions of your own that are not listed here, do not hesitate to ask, so that we can fill up our FAQ.

<b><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->SPARK EDITOR<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->What tool do I use to make maps for NS2?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> The tool used to create maps for Natural Selection 2 is called the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Spark_Editor" target="_blank">Spark Editor</a>.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Where can I download / find the Spark Editor?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Spark is located at and launched through <i>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\LaunchPad.exe"</i>. When you have launched the Spark Launch Pad, double click on "Editor" to launch the Spark Editor.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there an easier way to move the camera around in Spark?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> When you hold down <i>Right Mouse Button</i> you can move around with your <i>"WASD" keys</i>.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there an "XYZ view" in Spark?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Click Ctrl+W to maximize and minimize active viewports.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I got lost in Spark's void. How do I find my way back to what I've created?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Click Ctrl+A to select all, then click Z to move the camera from the void to your selection.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->How do I center my view on what I have selected?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Select the object you want to center your view on, then hover your mouse over the "Perspective", "Top" "Front" or "Side" viewports and click Z to center your view in them.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Where can I view a basic tutorial to get better acquainted with Spark's tools?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhu5bxshGpQ" target="_blank">This</a> video by <i>PewPewK</i> is the first tutorial I watched. Another version of the same tutorial, by NaturalSelectionPL, can be found <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRnF6MuzqAk" target="_blank">here</a>.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Are there any advanced mapping tutorials for NS2 yet?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
No, there aren't, but in proximity you can check out <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Mendasp" target="_blank">Mendasp's</a> timelapse videos, to see how he create maps.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Are there any simple map samples I can look through?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> It should be in your /ns2/maps/ folder. However, an updated version of ns2_sample can be found on the bottom of the list in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111839" target="_blank">this</a> topic. For more information, read about it <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Ns2_sample" target="_blank">here</a>. As of November 24 2011 the latest build was 188 (And still is, November 8 2012).

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Can the Spark Editor render light, or do I have to run the map to see the effect that lights make?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> This option, along with toggling edges on and off, is in the top left corner of your main viewport, where it says "Perspective". Clicking it will give you a drop-down menu. Toggle between "Texture Lit" and "Texture Unlit" to turn lights on and off.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->What's an easy way to copy / clone what I have selected?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Click Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+V to paste. An alternative method is to click Ctrl+D to clone.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there an easier method to reapply textures?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> First, make sure that you have the Paint Tool toggled. Then select the textured face that you want to reuse, and press Alt and left click on the face that you want to apply it to.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My props and entity browsers are empty, what do I do?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> That is Steam related. More specifically a game cache issue. To fix this you need to open your Steam Library, right click on "Natural Selection 2" and select Properties, from there select the Local Files tabs and click on the "Verify integrity of game cache"- button. Restart Spark and check to see if your props and entity browsers now list everything as it should.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->What height and width should entrances have?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Matrix guidelines can be found <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Basic_Mapping_Guidelines" target="_blank">here</a>. It can also be found in your Natural Selection 2 folder, here: "Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Mapping Guidelines.pdf".

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I want to make a minimap, how do I proceed?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> See my tutorial, posted <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=124289" target="_blank">here</a>.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I want to test my map. Do I have to compile my map to play it?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> You do not have to compile your map. Once you click save it is ready to run. Just make sure you save or move your map (.level file) to <i>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps"</i>.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there a point when Spark will crash during compiling?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> No, the map does not need to be compiled. The file opened by the editor is the same as the one loaded by the game.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->What are the prerequisites to run my map?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> You need to place the following entities: <i>patching_settings, ns2_gamerules, skybox, tech_point (x4), resource_point, power_point, team_join (Random), team_join (Marine), team_join (Alien), team_join (Spectate)</i>. You need to place at least <i>4 tech points</i>. <i>skybox</i> need to have its <i>Cinematic File</i> value changed to one of the <i>.cinematic</i> files found in <i>"\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps\skyboxes\"</i>. And you need to place four <i>team_join</i> entities with their own <i>Team Number</i> value.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there a limit to how many surfaces, props and entities I can use in my map?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> When you type r_stats in console you will see various stats of your current view. Keep an eye on value "draw calls". In official maps this value varies from 500 to approx. 2500 depending on the size and detail of the room. A good value for a smooth run on slower machines is to keep this value below 1500. Luckily, NS2's occlusion geometry will help keep most draw calls at bay.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Are draw calls / occlusion culling visible from the Editor?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Not at the moment.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Are all map optimizations done automatically, or is there a way for me to manually optimize my map's performance?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> To keep draw calls at bay, make sure to enclose your rooms. Also not all lights should cast shadows, or should at least have low shadow fade rate. Try to keep lighting as simple as possible, because that's the largest GPU eater. However, it is worth to point out, that NS2 performance suffers much more from CPU overload caused by LUA, which is what the gameplay is written in.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->How do I see my XYZ location in the editor? It is not standing out for me.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> There is no such information displayed by default, however when you have the "Move Tool" toggled you can see the XYZ coordinates in the bottom bar next to the filter buttons. Same goes for "Scale Tool", showing the XYZ dimensions of selected object.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->What is occlusion geometry?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Occlusion geometry is an geometry placed in "OcclusionGeometry" group (F8) which is blocking player's view. Objects between player and occlusion mesh are not rendered by engine. The best way to take advantage of this is to enclose your map in a Occlusion capsule following the outer geometry of your map but few units larger. If you type cheats 1 and r_wireframe in to console you will be able see how your occlusion geometry works.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->What problems will I run into if I make the level too big?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> The engine is optimized for indoor scenes, so the maximum render distance of entities is ~45 meters (1500 units). If you have entities that are more then 32.000 units from the origin of the map (X:0 Y:0 Z:0), the game will see them as "out of bounds" and delete them.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->How do I merge / weld vertices together?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Make sure that you have the "Selection Tool" toggled, and that the vertices you want to weld are aligned. Select the vertices you want to weld by left clicking and dragging over them (Make sure that you do not select anything else behind your selected area), then click Ctrl+W. You can make sure that the weld option is available to you by opening the Edit menu once you have your selected vertices-- on the bottom of the menu it should say "Weld Vertices".

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->How do I get the overview to color in the vents for the mini/maximap.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> All the geometry and props supposed to be colored should be placed in "Vents" layer (F7).

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->When using the line, rectangle or extrude tool, the new face isn't created. Why?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> This will occur when there is more than one edge in alignment. To fix this you can weld the vertices together. Alternatively, if that does not work, you can recreate the face properly in void and move it in to place.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->When using the line or rectangle tool the shape gets skewed, broken, attach to other faces, or similar. Why?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> This occurs when the engine fails to enclose edge loop. It fails to connect to the proper vertices because the area you want to lay your surface on is not in proportion with the rest. To fix this, you will have to recreate the face properly in void and move it in to place. Or, when you make a room, or a shape, try to make sure that everything is entirely made up of squares and triangles that are in proportion with each other and properly aligned, instead of pentagons and other shapes that are likely to throw the editor out of balance.

<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->I've rotated a prop by 90°, but now it flips axis when moved. Why?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> It is a bug. It helps to rotate it just by 89° before moving and set it to 90° when in place. Another way, since it will always flip back and forth on the axis, is to move it a little bit once so that it flips, then click to move it in place when you have it on the correct axis. To avoid this you can flip it on the axis in the Edit menu or edit the prop's angles (Select Tool).

<i><b>Tip #1 - Designing for NS2:</b> <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=88297" target="_blank">Here</a> are some very important guidelines on how to not mess up your map if you intend for it to be played as a regular / competitive Natural Selection 2 map.</i>

Comments

• EganEgan Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166190Members
    edited November 2012
    Maybe can you answer these questions too?

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> How do I test a level? Do I compile it or do I just enter something in console ingame? at the menu?

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Is there a series of tutorials that isn't broken? The livestream people keep linking in threads doesn't seem to exist anymore.

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> What's an easy way to quickly clone what I have selected? I tried shift and drag in case that was it. (It wasn't)

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Is there an easy way to quickly put one texture setting from one brush onto another?

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> What are the build limits? I notice a lot of those timelapse video mappers use a lot of brushes and crap, is there a limit I should keep in mind? (Same question but with entities too)

If you can, thanks cause I don't know where else to find answers.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do I test a level? Do I compile it or do I just enter something in console ingame? at the menu?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just copy it to ns2/maps folder in your NS2 directory in Steam. No compiling needed.

<!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's an easy way to quickly clone what I have selected? I tried shift and drag in case that was it. (It wasn't)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

control-c, control-v

<!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there an easy way to quickly put one texture setting from one brush onto another?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hold alt and left click the faces you want to apply texture for

<!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are the build limits? I notice a lot of those timelapse video mappers use a lot of brushes and crap, is there a limit I should keep in mind? (Same question but with entities too)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When you type r_stats in console you will see some various render stats of current view. Keep an eye on value "draw calls". In offical maps this value varies from 500 to aprox. 2500 depending on the size and detail of room. The good value for smooth run on slower machines is to keep this value under 1500.

The occlusion geometry will help you to keep draw calls at bay.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Rudy.cz posted the answers before I hit enter.

But what he said.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2015669:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:22 PM:name=Rudy.cz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rudy.cz @ Nov 8 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->control-c, control-v<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or just Control+D. This shortcut creates a copy from the selected faces...at least in my spark editor.
    <!--quoteo(post=2015762:date=Nov 8 2012, 08:50 PM:name=Maxunit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maxunit @ Nov 8 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just Control+D. This shortcut creates a copy from the selected faces...at least in my spark editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some people reported that this feature is bugged. But I dont have personal experience with it, I am used to ctr-c/v. Maybe it is already fixed.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ah, thanks for the info...might explain why I had some issues with duplicated geometry in some areas :/
  • RegnRegn Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165335Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 10:09 AM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> How do I test a level? Do I compile it or do I just enter something in console ingame? at the menu?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You do not have to compile your map. Once you click save it is ready to run. I save my maps directly to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\maps".

<!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 10:09 AM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Is there a series of tutorials that isn't broken? The livestream people keep linking in threads doesn't seem to exist anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That livestream didn't work for me neither. The only tutorials I have found are the ones by PewPewK, NaturalSelectionPL and Mendasp on YouTube. PewPewK and NaturalSelectionPL offers the basic to get acquainted with Spark, whereas Mendasp shows how he create maps without explanation through a timeline.

Rudy pretty much explained everything. As apposed to his method to apply textures, I simply hold Ctrl on all my surfaces then click on my texture to apply it. If it's a texture that I have already used I will use the eyedropper tool to quickly find the texture I want then apply it. I am brand new to Spark as well so I too have much to learn.
  • willkuerwillkuer Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165911Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2015657:date=Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM:name=Egan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Egan @ Nov 8 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->Q.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Is there a series of tutorials that isn't broken? The livestream people keep linking in threads doesn't seem to exist anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I try to stream in the evenings. My channel can be found <a href="http://de.twitch.tv/willkuer" target="_blank">here</a> and the thread can be found <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123425" target="_blank">here</a>. But I am learning myself and actually am hoping that some more experienced mappers join and give some tips. Anyhow I'm not on every night but I'll try to stream 3 to 4 times a week. If you want me too I can plug in my headset and comment on what I'm doing (German or English).
  • HampiusHampius Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158101Members
    Yes yes, commenting on what you are doing, would be very much apreciated :)
    Is there a chance you could post exact times when you stream?

Best regards
    Maciej "HamP" Nowak
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2012
    I will be making a tutorial/guide for the editor pretty soon explaining what all the tools do and some tips and tricks.

Meanwhile you can also check my youtube channel for the timelapses and my twitch stream videos (links in my sig). I have a really old tutorial for spark (in spanish, with english subtitles) in my youtube channel too.
  • willkuerwillkuer Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165911Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2016826:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:26 PM:name=Hampius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hampius @ Nov 9 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2016826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes yes, commenting on what you are doing, would be very much apreciated :)
    Is there a chance you could post exact times when you stream?

Best regards
    Maciej "HamP" Nowak<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll try to schedule it on fixed dates for the next week, ok? I'll try to go online once more this weekend. but I can't say wether Saturday or Sunday - as for tonight, I'll be out in town. Either way, times stays the same at ~7pm (GMT +1), 1 to 2 hours. I'll post dates in formentioned thread.

Cheers!
  • hillo :3hillo :3 Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168105Members
    Q: Why can't i create entities? I mean, i try to click them out but none is created. Plus, there's a nice tutorial about that theme around here somewhere?
  • g1realg1real Join Date: 2005-05-28 Member: 52633Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q. Where can I download / find the Spark Editor?
    A. Spark is located at and launched through "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\LaunchPad.exe"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow just a day ago this thread was made and I spotted it today. Nice. I was wondering where the spark tools went as they used to be part of the game's startup process, but I think that was on the standalone version.

What would be nice is if we could get a right click menu option on steam for the spark tools or a starting menu for selecting what you want to start (Launchpad or the game itself)
    <!--quoteo(post=2017367:date=Nov 9 2012, 11:30 AM:name=hillo :3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hillo :3 @ Nov 9 2012, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Q: Why can't i create entities? I mean, i try to click them out but none is created. Plus, there's a nice tutorial about that theme around here somewhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you click the 'Create Entity' tool you will get a browser of entities to choose from at the right side of the editor. Once you've selected an entity, place it by clicking in your viewport like you would regular brushes and props. Most entities that involve direct interaction with the physical such as tech_point and power_point include props and settings. Entities such as skybox and gamerules does not include props and will need reconfiguration. Tutorials on how to do this has been mentioned under "Q. Where can I view a basic tutorial to get better acquainted with Spark's tools?"
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What happened to being able to preview the lighting in Spark? My Spark editor doesn't seem to have the option thought it shows "Show Shadows" in Viewport menu for some reason.
    There is an option "Textured Lit"
  • Shr3dShr3d Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58265Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Not anywhere that I've looked. Can you please be more specific.

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/8QNLM.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/8QNLM.png</a>

I know there's an issue with spotlights on 7900 Nvidia cards in lit mode, but I have a GTX 570 so it should be showing up, I don't get it.

edit: Never mind, found my solution in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Spark_Editor" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Spark_Editor</a>. Should probably be added to the list of questions.
    edited November 2012
    Am I using the editor wrong or something? I really had a hard time using because I constantly had it do what I didn't want to and not do what I wanted to.

See <a href="http://puu.sh/1oH5e" target="_blank">this</a> <a href="http://puu.sh/1oH5A" target="_blank">sequence</a>: I want a floor for the hallway but instead it decides to create the outside of the wall and the end of the hallway

<a href="http://puu.sh/1oGNH" target="_blank">Or</a> <a href="http://puu.sh/1oYoM" target="_blank">this</a> <a href="http://puu.sh/1oGOa" target="_blank">one</a>

Heck, I have trouble getting the ceiling and floors to fill all the time.
  • ZanariasZanarias Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169390Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019569:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:23 AM:name=g1real)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1real @ Nov 11 2012, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I using the editor wrong or something? I really had a hard time using because I constantly had it do what I didn't want to and not do what I wanted to.

See <a href="http://puu.sh/1oH5e" target="_blank">this</a> <a href="http://puu.sh/1oH5A" target="_blank">sequence</a>: I want a floor for the hallway but instead it decides to create the outside of the wall and the end of the hallway

<a href="http://puu.sh/1oGNH" target="_blank">Or</a> <a href="http://puu.sh/1oYoM" target="_blank">this</a> <a href="http://puu.sh/1oGOa" target="_blank">one</a>

Heck, I have trouble getting the ceiling and floors to fill all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You kind of look like you come from a Hammer mapping background. One thing to keep in mind is that you technically don't need to make a completely sealed level with polygons like you're doing in order for it to operate correctly. That might make some of this slightly easier.

That said, you can click on the faces that are improper and then hit "Flip Axis (X/Y/Z)" in the edit menu to fix faces being on the wrong side.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019521:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:33 AM:name=Shr3d)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shr3d @ Nov 11 2012, 04:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not anywhere that I've looked. Can you please be more specific.

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/8QNLM.png" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/8QNLM.png</a>

I know there's an issue with spotlights on 7900 Nvidia cards in lit mode, but I have a GTX 570 so it should be showing up, I don't get it.

edit: Never mind, found my solution in <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Spark_Editor" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Spark_Editor</a>. Should probably be added to the list of questions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This option, along with toggling edges on and off, is in the top left corner of your main viewport, where it says "Perspective". Clicking it will give you a drop-down menu where you can choose whether to keep textures lit or not.

These questions is only to get past the blockade of bad navigation and search options that this website has to offer, to get to and launch the Spark Editor, and roughly navigate it to get started. More detailed information should be written in the wiki. I'm still unsure as to why none of this has been mentioned in the wiki, and why it is almost impossible to locate the wiki in the first place. Apparently, they want us to load the front page, the NS2 page, and the forum page, before we get to see the link to the wiki. Similarly, the wiki has absolutely no references, so you have to know exactly what you want to search for in order to find it... that is, if it's been written, which it probably hasn't.
  • KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2019569:date=Nov 11 2012, 02:23 PM:name=g1real)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1real @ Nov 11 2012, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I using the editor wrong or something? I really had a hard time using because I constantly had it do what I didn't want to and not do what I wanted to.

Heck, I have trouble getting the ceiling and floors to fill all the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ctrl + f to switch faces (you have to select them first, obviously), or select all sides and hit alt + c to create a face if the editor didn't do it.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019569:date=Nov 11 2012, 05:23 AM:name=g1real)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g1real @ Nov 11 2012, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I using the editor wrong or something? I really had a hard time using because I constantly had it do what I didn't want to and not do what I wanted to.

I have been facing the same problem, as seen <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123598" target="_blank">here</a>. The solution is to spend a little extra time with brushes, by creating independent surfaces, and when the vertices don't align, move the vertices independently. This method can be seen in <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Mendasp" target="_blank">Mendaps's videos</a> on YouTube.

Copy&Paste a surface, then move it outside of your room, edit it the way you want it, then select all and click Ctrl+W to weld all of the selected vertices. This method will delete any duplicate vertices you may have. Then move the object back into the room once you're done with it. Beware, that when you do this you might have to move a couple of vertices independently to make it stick to your room.

At least, this is how I do it. If anything looks bad, texture-wise, I try my best to make it fit, then as a last resort I cover it up.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2019582:date=Nov 11 2012, 03:29 PM:name=Zanarias)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zanarias @ Nov 11 2012, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You kind of look like you come from a Hammer mapping background. One thing to keep in mind is that you technically don't need to make a completely sealed level with polygons like you're doing in order for it to operate correctly. That might make some of this slightly easier.

That said, you can click on the faces that are improper and then hit "Flip Axis (X/Y/Z)" in the edit menu to fix faces being on the wrong side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hammer is mostly my experience yes, I realised I can't leak in the spark editor but I was just building a rough closed layout for now and then wanted to detail it and open up things again where I wanted to.

That'll help quite a bit at least, thanks!

<!--quoteo(post=2019625:date=Nov 11 2012, 04:06 PM:name=Krozu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Krozu @ Nov 11 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2019625"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->or select all sides and hit alt + c to create a face if the editor didn't do it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sweet, this is what I needed, I was looking for such an option but couldn't find it.
  • hillo :3hillo :3 Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168105Members
    Q: I got lost/reset the perspective view now i can't find my map or see anything on this window! What should i do?
    Hit ctrl+a (select everything) and then press z (zoom on selection)
  • ijswezelijswezel Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166443Members
    It doesn't look like my entity lists are populating. I can't insert any props, lights, you name it. In fact I can't do much at all outside of creation/manipulation of brushwork it seems. I can open the prop browser in spark and everything is listed in there, it just won't let me place anything down. The entities list is empty when I click it and the three different light tools do nothing when I click around.

I can texture stuff okay but even loading up the official maps, there's no entities of any kind in them, only occlusion geometry and standard geometry. It's something I haven't seen anyone else mention yet aside from maybe hillo earlier on in the thread, so I'm assuming I've either overlooked something hugely obvious in setup or it just done screwed itself.
  • KrozuKrozu Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2020758:date=Nov 12 2012, 02:58 PM:name=ijswezel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ijswezel @ Nov 12 2012, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020758"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It doesn't look like my entity lists are populating. I can't insert any props, lights, you name it. In fact I can't do much at all outside of creation/manipulation of brushwork it seems. I can open the prop browser in spark and everything is listed in there, it just won't let me place anything down. The entities list is empty when I click it and the three different light tools do nothing when I click around.

I can texture stuff okay but even loading up the official maps, there's no entities of any kind in them, only occlusion geometry and standard geometry. It's something I haven't seen anyone else mention yet aside from maybe hillo earlier on in the thread, so I'm assuming I've either overlooked something hugely obvious in setup or it just done screwed itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's always "Re-validate", fixed some issues for me when i started. :D

Steam Library => NS2 => Right Click => Properties => Local Files Tab => Verify Integrity of game cache => Wait a few minutes => Done
  • ijswezelijswezel Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166443Members
    You know, verifying the cache is the one thing I'd not thought of. I guess I was thinking of launchpad as being separate from steam's NS2 download or something. But it worked, doggone it, and now I can properly ###### about. Weee! Thanks for reminding me, Krozu :D
    <!--quoteo(post=2015448:date=Nov 8 2012, 04:50 PM:name=Regn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regn @ Nov 8 2012, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2015448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there an easier way to move the camera around in Spark?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> When you hold down <i>Right Mouse Button</i> you can move around with your <i>"WASD" keys</i>.
    A somewhat simpler alternative (and less prone to accidently selecting another tool when you release RMB) is to just right click to rotate sideways and then middle mouse to move around

<!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>Q.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Is there an easier method to apply textures?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    <!--coloro:#48b3ff--><span style="color:#48b3ff"><!--/coloro--><b>A.</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> You can use the Eyedropper Tool in the Texture Browser and click on the textured surface you want to reapply to a different surface. Alternatively, you can copy the surface you want to reapply (with any of the methods mentioned previously). If you have several surfaces that you want to apply the texture to you can hold Ctrl and click on all of the independent surfaces.
    Duplicating textures is even easier, select your face with already-placed-texture and alt-click other faces.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some additional information below the answers in the quote.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue