Joining Games With Friends is a Pain

PerfectbluePerfectblue Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168864Members
When attempting to join the same game & same team with 2+ friends it is often very difficult. At the moment there doesn't seem to be a filter to remove games with the balanced teams enabled. If they were to implement a filter, to show only games with team balanced mode disabled, it would be much easier to join games as a group. Or perhaps include a join as group function such as in Dota 2.

How do you join games with friends and get on the same team without it being a pain?

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Play in organized matches.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    Team stacking is a bad thing in this game in any case (public matches mostly), because the team with more players has a significant edge. Even more so then other games. So I'm fairly certain most if not all servers have this setting set to enabled. Also there is currently no way to filter based on server settings.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    Ive got 2 friends I play with a lot now that the game has launched, plus one occasionally. What we do is find an empty server, mess around on different teams til people start to join and then recycle immediately to reset the game. (Should be mentioned this is with only 1 or 2 people on the server besides us and we let them know beforehand.) By then the server is mostly full up, and we can get onto the same team for the most part, or split ourselves evenly. The funnier games are always the ones where we're against each other.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    I am also being put through the same pain as Perfectblue. Me and my friend are both joining the same game then having to wait for a random guy in the RR to go join Aliens or Marines.

It's probably harder for me compared to other people playing with friends as my friend has extremely long loading times and by then it's too late.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    checkout the gathers at ensl.org.
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    Might I add that I am from Australia
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Real marines/aliens join random on public games, just saying :P
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    You could just spectate/wait for another spot to open, or spectate until the next round begins and jump in when players are actively choosing both teams.

I don't have any ideas really on how to fix this, if they did allow you to break the cap they'd have to autobalance your friend meaning they wouldn't be able to spawn anyway until another player joins the other team.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    I find it easier and more fun to be aliens together with friends. Nothing like waiting on the ceiling for some marines to chomp. However, since most people join marines first, getting you and your friends on the marine side is a lot harder.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    join a lower populated server.

join the worst performing team..
  • Katana314Katana314 Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166379Members
    Yeah, I'm with OP! When joining with friends. this is poorly-thought and MUCH worse than any other team-based online game!

...Oh wait, hang on...
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    thats why i turned off balance mode. and i have afk-kick stuck and voterandom all in. though i think the server is too far away for most of u.
  • PerfectbluePerfectblue Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168864Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2017926:date=Nov 9 2012, 09:16 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Nov 9 2012, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017926"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thats why i turned off balance mode. and i have afk-kick stuck and voterandom all in. though i think the server is too far away for most of u.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is there a way to filter for games that have balance mode turned off?
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    I play with up to 3 friends every day and never have these issues. A little patience goes a long way, and sometimes you have to play on different teams. Usually people are stacking one team, so you just have to stack the other team and you're all set.
  • PerfectbluePerfectblue Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168864Members
  • JackallJackall Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168853Members
    Just do what I do... disassociate yourself with everyone and you won't have to worry about logging in with these people you call 'friends'.
  • obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    It would be nice if there was some way you could say "I dont care which team we are on, but we want to join the same team". And then the computer picks whichever team has less people on it and you go in together on that team (and if it was even it is now stacked, but with auto-team balancing "ie longer death times" so teams stay even in terms of in game players at one time).