Need a little help configuring server

StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
I have never run a server before and I'm unsure of where to place config files...

The wiki says they will be automatically generated but I can't seem to find them. In ns2/web/js I find a mapcycle.js but it is nothing like the one on the wiki, it has no places to input a mapcycle. I tried replacing it with a copy of the wiki version, as well as creating a ServerAdmin.js to give myself admin rights, and it doesn't seem to work..

Are these in the wrong folder?

Comments

• CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012155:date=Nov 5 2012, 08:32 PM:name=StukaJU87c)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StukaJU87c @ Nov 5 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have never run a server before and I'm unsure of where to place config files...

The wiki says they will be automatically generated but I can't seem to find them. In ns2/web/js I find a mapcycle.js but it is nothing like the one on the wiki, it has no places to input a mapcycle. I tried replacing it with a copy of the wiki version, as well as creating a ServerAdmin.js to give myself admin rights, and it doesn't seem to work..

Are these in the wrong folder?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

are you sure you are looking at the right wiki?

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Server_Configuration" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...r_Configuration</a>

config files are in the ns2 folder ( the folder you created with steamcmd) then config

eg:<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1--> C:\ns2server\config<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

launch the server once wait 5 seconds for the files to be created- then stop

those json files will be there then.

example serveradmin.json file :

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->{
        "groups":
        {
            "headadmin_group": { "type": "disallowed", "commands": [ ] },
            "admin_group": { "type": "disallowed", "commands": [ "sv_password", "sv_listbans", "sv_autobalance", "sv_unban", "sv_statusip" ] }
        }

"users":
        {
            "CoTTon": { "id": 8078655, "groups": [ "headadmin_group" ] },
            "HeatSurge": { "id": 26900124, "groups": [ "admin_group" ] },
        "Farstar": { "id": 982681, "groups": [ "admin_group" ] }
        }
    }<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

take note of those commas (,) at the end of those lines there - do not use a , if it is the last line

keep in mind you need to follow the script for entering steam id's in this file

easiest way is to join your server - look in console and see the steam id of the person who is joining - then just paste it into that.

else if you are looking at the old steam_id way then it's this method:

STEAM_0:0:919317: 919317 * 2 = 1838634
    STEAM_0:1:919317: 919317 * 2 + 1 = 1838635
  • StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
    edited November 2012
    Would you mind uploading templates for the other configs files? I'm not running the server locally, renting...and the files arent generated...the servers been up for a good 5 hours now. The only thing in the config file is config.vdf

Edit: I tried using this

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->{
        "groups":
        {
            "headadmin_group": { "type": "disallowed", "commands": [ ] },
            "admin_group": { "type": "disallowed", "commands": [ "sv_password", "sv_listbans", "sv_autobalance", "sv_unban", "sv_statusip" ] }
        }

"users":
        {
            "Mau5Mau5": { "id": 38796285, "groups": [ "headadmin_group" ] },

}
    }<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

But it still did not work..this hosting service is pissing me off...no information, server was bugged for the first 10 hours after purchase...web admin doesn't work, and I can't configure even the most basic of things
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    edited November 2012
    can you post your server line config.

delete the , at the end of the "Mau5Mau5": { "id": 38796285, "groups": [ "headadmin_group" ] },

also i would try following this config

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=123632&view=findpost&p=2012368" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2012368</a>

edit the values etc.

there should be a total of 6 config files in the config folder (including server.txt)

please post your console log when you startup the server.

eg:C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\log.txt
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Sounds like you did not specify a -config_path on startup. By default, the config files go to %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2

Also, all example JSON config files are in the wiki. <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...edicated_Server</a>

However, even if you create the JSON files yourself, the server will not load them unless you specify the -config_path to load them from.
  • StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
    edited November 2012
    Is there a way to edit server.exes config path when just working from ftp? I know you'd normally set a hortcut but isre a way to set the file itself to run an target command line
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unless your server provider runs the server.exe with a batch file that is supplied in your ftp directory, you have no other way. Who is your server provider? You should ask them to at least append -file to point to a text file on your ftp directory. You can then specify all your command line arguments there.