Mac OS X VMWare Fusion

mmz_trellmmz_trell Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7124Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Can't run NS2</div>So I have been playing NS for a very long time. I could not wait for NS2 and missed the beta. Here is my situation, I run a Macbook Pro 17" i7 2.4GHz with 16GB RAM, VMWare Fusion with Windows 7 Pro. I can play NS just fine. I try to load up NS2 and all I get is the start screen, with my Player Name: and the following options, Play, Training, Options, Mods, and Exit. The problem is I can't click anything...

H.E.L.P please I really want to play the game, has anyone got this running on VMWare Fusion? Oh my version is 5.0 just upgraded thinking it was VMWare Fusion 4 :(

Comments

• mmz_trellmmz_trell Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7124Members, Constellation
    Really, no one has done this?
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Use a real computer or just bootcamp it.

Plus, there's no way a VM will run a current-gen game through VM emulation at more than 5 frames per second.
    You mean a real computer as opposed to one that i have to reboot to update software or battle virus all the time, come on get a life. I'm not asking for your one sided opinion. I have even been told most of the developers that designed and wrote the game are Mac users and will work on a port when they get time. Honestly if windows wasn't so buggy with patches out every day I'm sure they would have finished the game much sooner.

So unless you have constructive post don't come here trolling. For your info, I have VM'ed plenty of current-gen games.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    I think without VT-d vmwareing will be pretty choppy for somthing as heavy as virtual gaming --- less you have an apple workstaion with a xeon? (do they do that? can't remember what our apple box is running)
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013636:date=Nov 7 2012, 06:24 AM:name=mmz_trell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mmz_trell @ Nov 7 2012, 06:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You mean a real computer as opposed to one that i have to reboot to update software or battle virus all the time, come on get a life.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, he means a real computer as opposed to one that <b>can't run games</b>.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    apple PC's are pretty terrible, its designer cases for average computer components at 2-3x the cost --- along with a walled in bios and OS, and is just as easily virus ridden as MS products, as the case they have many updates per week to fix things, especially in the safari web browser.

I deploy 1000's of macbook's to school every year (and 5x that amount of windows machines) and can honestly say they aren't worth the money. Of course that is my opinion, just like I don't go buy a $200 pair of Jeans when a $20 pair will do the same trick. Apple has made computers fashionable, although with recent patent suits and product overlaps/stepping on fanbois toes, are actively tarnishing their reputation.

good luck with the MAC. I would try doing the dual-boot method instead since running virtual machines does mess with inputs and memory access --- could be a simple fix but have never tried vmware workstaion on a mac :)

some of the i7 laptop cpu's do support VT-d so might be in luck there!
    Scubbo, it is the i7 and while I agree with your statement, I have been in the IT industry for 17 years now, on the Unix side. Honestly I don't use safari, and can say in the last 2 months have only had to do 1 update that affected what I do. You are right they are more expensive, but I have never had to rebuild my mac due to virus or mailware/spyware, or busted patches from MS (ran into a few of those in my time)

This is the way I was hoping the question would go, I'm not sure about the VT-d, I will do some research into it. Bootcamp is out of the question due to the fact I'm running a RAID on my MBP 17 with dual SSDs. Might be worth it to break the RAID and use 1 drive for each, but I love the speed I have with my RAID...
  • beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IT industry for 17 years and you get viruses and malware? You're in sales I take it?? :p

I wouldn't imagine you'd get great performance playing NS2 in a VM. There are some interesting things with GPU passthrough happening via the Xen HV IIRC, might have been ESXi...
  • slimeslime Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72352Members
    Yeah, even if NS2 worked with VMWare you'd probably want to run it in Windows via Boot Camp for performance reasons.
    Funny beagle, I personally have never had a virus on my machines but have supported enough dumb ppl to know :(
    I am actually a Unix Admin, I will probably try and break my RAID and do bootcamp...