The dream.

IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Let's put down balance for a moment and look to the future.</div>The core concept of this game is sound.

After going retail and after the reviews have come in, it's all just confirmed what we knew all along: this game is something different. The concept is unique and it's fun. The compelling team play, the asymmetrical sides, the excellent blending of two different genres...

But this is not a mere mod anymore, and UWE is now a proper company, however small. What's in store for the future of NS?

Balance changes? New maps? Improved performance? New weapons and lifeforms even?

<yawn>

Let's think big. Real big.

If you are an "old-school" NS1 purist, you can probably stop reading here, as I'm thinking about elements that would make the game more accessible and more appealing to the masses. The end goal is to for everyone to get a taste of this kind of gameplay.

Of course we're gonna need a tutorial. But what about a whole single player campaign? With a story? What if the story unfolded in real time over the months in the form of campaigns that players participate in? What if we could influence the outcome directly in an epic Human vs Alien struggle?

What if there was a persistent ranking system that tracked the contributions you made to your side in your weekly campaigns? I know this is starting to sound like making NS into some kind of MMO, but it will give a special kind of meaning to the games we play if it's all put into some kind of context. This is the hook that keeps people coming back to MMOs and it will work so damn well with NS except instead of lame MMO gameplay we can have a simple system of giving people cool titles and an official story-line we can keep track of, that WE influence.

With a fundamentally great game at its base, we could build so many meta-game systems to make this game really explode in popularity.

Comments

• IdlerayIdleray Join Date: 2012-10-04 Member: 161464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wanted to clarify: by "campaign" I meant <b>multiplayer</b> games ordered in a structured sequence, where people might sign up in advance, and the games would rotated over a sequence of maps, perhaps changing depending on which side wins.

We could enhance the social element of the game by making it persistent: people can have a reputation for doing great at comming displayed through their rank, for example.

There could even be different game modes, with for example the idea of attacking a Kharaa homeworld or a major Human fortification.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    campaign seems like a bad idea imo. why do you need a campaign? single player games are boring... look at dishonored - it's a fantastic game, with great graphics and story, but the average player probably invests about 10 hours and then uninstalls it (i played it for 30 hours, took my time on hard mode because i knew i'd have no desire to play it again).

campaign = fart in the wind. it will make money, but so will a multiplayer game like dota2/csgo/tf2 (hell, dota2 and tf2 make money and they're f2p..).

if a campaign mode was easy, then sure no problem. but wtf dude, campaign is loads of work... you need writers, voice actors, cut scenes (cgi), far more diverse landscapes, environments, unique characters and props. if it was just a "go here and repair this power node" it would be a heap of crap - i guess a modder could do that in 5 minutes, people would not appreciate being 'sold' a campaign which consisted of weak crap like that (look at red orchestra 2).

what it does need is competitive support from the devs and the community, there's no reason why ns2 can't get 10-20k peak players per day on steam like tf2 (minus the trade freaks, idlers and f2p no hopers).
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE has very limited manpower. Every feature comes at the expense of something else. They need to focus on what matters - making the best multiplayer shooter they can - and not get bogged down with singleplayer campaigns or crazy pie-in-the-sky ideas.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    We already have a story in the wiki and the fanfiction section. Just would need to adapt it to gameplay.

It would be too difficult to have a ranking system. Ns2 has so many varied actions that help the game and it would be difficult to add them all to rank.
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    edited November 2012
    Guy, you need to relax a bit. I know you're all pumped up with all the Web 3.0 facebook like webbrowser tie-in bullsheeeeit, but you also have to realize that just because it's new it doesn't mean it'll make it better. Multiplayer campaign? Like UT? Those were pitiful. If you mean a true persistent campaign like Planetside, that's just not the right game format here and the company is just too small for that. One needs to accept what you have on your hands here, it's simply an oldschool FPS shooter albeit with a new RTS twist on it. No amount of pointless fluff coating is gonna change that core, and may even be detrimental to it, it'll become bloated for no good reason that just to add on useless doodads and gadgets unto it

And a full story? Come on get a grip on yourself, do you REALLY care about the story of counter strike, quake, UT or battlefield? it's team 1 vs team 2, here the story is organic aliens vs nanomachines and humans. It doesn't get any deeper than that
  • ffoollffooll Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166657Members
    if we are looking at TF2/Dota2 on their monetizing scheme, there is only one conclusion.

ns2 needs crazy hats.

onos with a monocle, moustache and a tall hat please? mohawk gorge?

but single player campaign? please, no. just do some saxton hale-ish kinda cartoons to fill in the backstories :-P

MvM kinda stuff might work. for both sides.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I honestly think it would be a mistake for UWE not to sell skins - good ones like what we have already, not silly nonsense of course. Sell marine skins, alien skins, gun skins, marine voice packs, etc. None of that detracts from the game in any way, and the community is crazy devoted and will buy it while asking for more. If it's a success then you can use the money to make the game better. It would be doing the fans a disservice not to pursue that opportunity.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2012722:date=Nov 6 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Idleray)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Idleray @ Nov 6 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2012722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Utter bull####<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes because someone who cant even build a level brick wall should attempt to move on and build cathedrals.
    OP might as well be asking for a Multiplayer version of Skyrim...

NS2 is a MULTIPLAYER game, currently the multiplayer element isn't even complete and you want a single-player mode?
    Do you know how hard it is to code bots for simple games like CS? How hard do you think it will be to program fade/lerk bots?
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I think it's a very good idea on paper, but it's a lot of work. I'm not sure it will bring in the new player numbers or retain older players well enough to justify it's cost. It can't be argued that it would improve the fun of the game and make playing it even more compulsive.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Restating what someone else said in this post: looks good on paper.

To put down balance for more game play modes/options is a very very bad idea especially in the fragile state that it's in now.

Improve on what you have now before you start working on other additions.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013114:date=Nov 6 2012, 08:45 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 6 2012, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honestly think it would be a mistake for UWE not to sell skins - good ones like what we have already, not silly nonsense of course. Sell marine skins, alien skins, gun skins, marine voice packs, etc. None of that detracts from the game in any way, and the community is crazy devoted and will buy it while asking for more. If it's a success then you can use the money to make the game better. It would be doing the fans a disservice not to pursue that opportunity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that would be nice in the long run... as long as they're subtle enough. i don't want multi-coloured aliens etc.

the value of that stuff is the 'epeen', and if they're overdone then people will just use mods to disable them all.