Dedicated Server Optimization

r0kir0ki Join Date: 2010-06-06 Member: 71973Members
Hey guys does anyone know when the below piece of information may change?

"A word about the server hardware.
Currently, the NS2 Server software is not fully optimized to make use of multiple cores on your system. At best, it uses 2 threads, of which 1 will handle the main processing.
As such, NS2 Server providers commonly run their servers on overclocked consumer-grade systems as opposed to multi-core server-grade systems. e.g. NS2 Servers which handle 24 players are typically clocked at 4.4GHz on an Intel i7 core."

My Data Center i have access too are multi-core xeon's ... according to the bench marks between the processors the xeon is generally a better cpu core than the i7's esp since its server grade over consumer grade.

Comments

• MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This piece of info might change the next 2 or 3 months maybe? I think most stuff to the Server Software will be done, when the Linux Binaries will be released.

If they manage to let the NS2 Dedicated Server (and Client) to run on more than 2 cores, it should run better for anyone.
  • krazekraze Join Date: 2012-10-26 Member: 163744Members
    edited November 2012
    I have found that a 16 slot NS2 server will run great on an E3-1270 and an E5-2690 in a virtual environment, anything more starts to cause issues. I am still waiting to test that on bare hardware though. I have no doubt that an E3-1270 or a E5-2690 will be able to handle a full 24 slot without an issue.