Marine Bunny Hopping

Bullet_ForceBullet_Force Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165952Members
I would like to see the ability to jump and fire removed from the marines. The jump height of the marine appears to be huge possibly even higher then that of the skulk. It's already hard enough with lag and server issues to register hits on moving marines let alone ones jumping up and back 5m each time.

Comments

• xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    Jump and use walls to compensate. When you jump off a wall, you gain a speed boost.
  • m1cHim1cHi Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22105Members
    I miss the strafe jumping from ns1 so much as marine. And you are asking to remove the last movement ability the marines have in close combat? :(
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007252:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:04 PM:name=m1cHi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m1cHi @ Nov 2 2012, 10:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I miss the strafe jumping from ns1 so much as marine. And you are asking to remove the last movement ability the marines have in close combat? :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because marines aren't good enough.
  • neenee Join Date: 2004-10-01 Member: 32021Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007252:date=Nov 2 2012, 06:04 PM:name=m1cHi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m1cHi @ Nov 2 2012, 06:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I miss the strafe jumping from ns1 so much as marine. And you are asking to remove the last movement ability the marines have in close combat? :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes. Marines have guns.
  • SgtThompsonSgtThompson Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36340Members
    No... skulks do JUST FINE against marines even if they bunny hop. It's a tactic to get you to miss their head. You can just come from higher (wall jump like you should) and it still works. Besides, they're probably going to die 1v1 anyway.
    <!--quoteo(post=2007551:date=Nov 3 2012, 01:12 AM:name=SgtThompson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtThompson @ Nov 3 2012, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No... skulks do JUST FINE against marines even if they bunny hop. It's a tactic to get you to miss their head. You can just come from higher (wall jump like you should) and it still works. Besides, they're probably going to die 1v1 anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's funny, because Hugh just said on the steam forums that he sees no problem with a completely stock Marine with W3/A3 upgrades taking out an entire "horde of skulks" completely on his own.
  • PinoyCarterPinoyCarter Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166201Members
    Quote: "It's funny, because Hugh just said on the steam forums that he sees no problem with a completely stock Marine with W3/A3 upgrades taking out an entire "horde of skulks" completely on his own."

It's funny b/c I saw that same statement elsewhere on this forum (presumably by you). What he is saying is that a skulk or skulks w/o upgrades (that literally means they have NOTHING) goes against a Marine at the pinnacle of his base tech tree would get "decimated". If you're going to tell me that a 3/3 Marine goes against 2-4 base skulks starting from a distance and not wipe em, why should you even bother getting your upgrades. Game should've been done long ago. At 3/3 if you ambush a lone Marine you may lose 1-2 but he'll be dead BTW...I've done it...we didn't have the best team at the time but we got him.

Also, with the current amount of players/server on average...that horde at most will be 12 but HIGHLY unlikely. I personally would call out a "horde of skulks coming" if I saw 3 of them while alone but that's really to one's own interpretation. 3 seems appropriate as it's over 25% of what the enemy team has running around (1 in the comm chair). Without his direct interpretation you don't really know but it's safe to assume that he doesn't mean dude's gonna be Rambo and drop a whole team. (not the strongest argument, I know, but it is still pertinent).
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007724:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:11 AM:name=PinoyCarter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PinoyCarter @ Nov 3 2012, 03:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's funny b/c I saw that same statement elsewhere on this forum (presumably by you). What he is saying is that a skulk or skulks w/o upgrades (that literally means they have NOTHING) goes against a Marine at the pinnacle of his base tech tree would get "decimated". If you're going to tell me that a 3/3 Marine goes against 2-4 base skulks starting from a distance and not wipe em, why should you even bother getting your upgrades.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How about you tell me, then, what upgrades skulks can get to counter a W3/A3 marine.

They get nothing to help them increase their damage done.

The entire shade tree is negated by an observatory.

Carapace adds extremely little survivability, and I'm fairly certain that W2 actually completely negates the Carapace advantage.

What are they going to do to turn the tables? Use their sweet suicide bomb that makes you sit in the queue and punishes you for its use?

The W3/A3 marine has invested exactly *ZERO* pres to get that way. He invested exactly *ZERO* time to get his upgrades. Why in the hell should aliens have to invest 50 res + lots of time to Fade just to combat a completely stock marine who's rocking a bunch of totally overpowered hidden upgrades?
  • SuecoSueco Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166309Members
    edited November 2012
    The game's atmosphere is fantastic, but it goes from <i>Alien </i> to <i>Quake 3 Arena</i> in two seconds when Skulks get in close. It looks awful. This is a tactical horror shooter, not <i>Bulletstorm.</i> Jump needs a short cooldown and weapon needs to go down when in the air.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited November 2012
    bleh he edited it.
  • SuecoSueco Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166309Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007947:date=Nov 3 2012, 03:35 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Nov 3 2012, 03:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->without the horror bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You've clearly never entered a room with 2 skulks exactly as the power node goes down.
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2007554:date=Nov 2 2012, 08:14 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 2 2012, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's funny, because Hugh just said on the steam forums that he sees no problem with a completely stock Marine with W3/A3 upgrades taking out an entire "horde of skulks" completely on his own.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

URL?
    edited November 2012
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/864950181845992429/" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discuss...50181845992429/</a>

These forums are full of people blasting the game from balance, to not being fun, to not even being able to play the game.

Good thing the devs are spending so much time communicating with us.
  • Haplo_64Haplo_64 Join Date: 2012-04-03 Member: 149890Members
    edited November 2012
    Bunnyhopping is actually the weakest form of dodging for marines to do. While they jump, their accuracy goes to hell. The sudden jump of vertical movement means that they will not (unless they are either lucky or very skilled, but then the skilled marines don't jump anyway) be able to hit you. Jumping marines may be harder to hit in the short time, but they won't be able to hit you either, actually increasing the chance that you will kill them (if you're moving, and not just standing still like I see some skulks do)

It's the strafing marines you have to look out for, they keep all their accuracy while still moving out of bite range.

Edit: Spelling
    <!--quoteo(post=2007939:date=Nov 3 2012, 05:26 AM:name=Sueco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sueco @ Nov 3 2012, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game's atmosphere is fantastic, but it goes from <i>Alien </i> to <i>Quake 3 Arena</i> in two seconds when Skulks get in close. It looks awful. This is a tactical horror shooter, not <i>Bulletstorm.</i> Jump needs a short cooldown and weapon needs to go down when in the air.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The fights already take place at extremely close ranges. If you wall jump like you are supposed to, then you will have cleared an entire hallway in less than a second. You mean to tell me that marines jumping are taking away that incredible advantage? So, now the marines (who run substantially slower and can't run backwards quickly) essentially have to just plant themselves and hope every single bullet in their magazine hits the target before it closes the distance (less than a second).

No.

And the argument that a w3/a3 marine owns a upgraded skulk too hard is ridiculous. By the time marines have w3/a3, aliens should have fades. And even if they don't, several skulks working together can easily take out a couple marines if they're wall jumping like they should.
    edited November 2012
    Forum jacked up and ruined my post. Don't feel like typing it again. Please delete this.
  • MadrawnMadrawn Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166535Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2007964:date=Nov 3 2012, 04:05 AM:name=Haplo_64)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haplo_64 @ Nov 3 2012, 04:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bunnyhopping is actually the weakest form of dodging for marines to do. While they jump, their accuracy goes to hell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It isn't like I'm needing that accuracy anyways. I'm shooting at a scary crocodile literally gnawing on my feet and not trying to headshot a pidgin 50m away. I feel like jumping is pretty effective as marine. And even if MY chances to hit them decreases it buys my teammates around 2 - 3 seconds time they have to gun down the skulk/s.
  • ComradeHavocComradeHavoc Join Date: 2012-10-14 Member: 162281Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2006550:date=Nov 2 2012, 07:54 AM:name=Bullet_Force)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullet_Force @ Nov 2 2012, 07:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see the ability to jump and fire removed from the marines. The jump height of the marine appears to be huge possibly even higher then that of the skulk. It's already hard enough with lag and server issues to register hits on moving marines let alone ones jumping up and back 5m each time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First of all skulks can climb on any surface, second of all their bite is a 3-4 hit kill. The skulk can leap. Compare a bi-pedal with those of a 4 legged creature. How can you ###### about the marine bunny hopping, have you played marine?! It's hard enough to get a hit on a skulk even with a 50 round automatic, when they're bouncing around like a rubber ball. Marines can't move backwards very fast, so when they're "bunny hopping" they either stay in the same place, to the sides or forward, attempt to move your mouse so your cross-hairs are facing their direction. If you just bum-rush and pound you space bar and left mouse, your probably only going to bite the dust.
  • PHJFPHJF Join Date: 2005-07-13 Member: 55898Members
    Too often I've gone 1v1 against a marine and because of wonky glancing blows (netcode?) and marines constantly jumping I've ended up losing. It isn't so much a problem against a lvl0 marine, but when they get armor the CONSTANT jumping becomes a huge PITA. Skulking was way better in NS1 when focus/leap rewarded timing and precision.

Simple solution is to have bite damage temporarily disable jumping (and why shouldn't it?)
  • SafewoodSafewood Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166381Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2008658:date=Nov 3 2012, 11:12 PM:name=SgtThompson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtThompson @ Nov 3 2012, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2008658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fights already take place at extremely close ranges. If you wall jump like you are supposed to, then you will have cleared an entire hallway in less than a second. You mean to tell me that marines jumping are taking away that incredible advantage? So, now the marines (who run substantially slower and can't run backwards quickly) essentially have to just plant themselves and hope every single bullet in their magazine hits the target before it closes the distance (less than a second).

No.

And the argument that a w3/a3 marine owns a upgraded skulk too hard is ridiculous. By the time marines have w3/a3, aliens should have fades. And even if they don't, several skulks working together can easily take out a couple marines if they're wall jumping like they should.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much this.

Yesterday we were 8 friends who played 4 vs. 4 against each other. The way we as marines tried to do, was as soon as one of us had to empty our rifles and pistols, we sprinted away as we reloaded, and jumped as they reached us. However, they do exactly the same, one is being a decoy jumping around on the floor, while the others are wall jumping right onto us. Some times we managed to take them out, but most of the time, they wiped the floor clean.

Jumping as marines isn't a problem, you just got to have practice a bit more on how you play Skulks and especially Skulks together.