Server MOTD?

ZaggyZaggy NullPointerExceptionThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Do I need a mod for this?</div>Would like to put up a Message Of The Day, do I need a specific mod for this? Couldn't find it in the readme/wiki.

Comments

• WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Yes, there are 2 mods which can currently do this. DAK Admin Mod and ns2stats. The latter's MOTD is configured from the <a href="http://ns2stats.org/server/admin" target="_blank">ns2stats </a>website (register for an account and then go to My Account then My Servers).

As for the former, I am not sure if it has been updated for the latest builds.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1998580:date=Oct 27 2012, 11:18 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Oct 27 2012, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for the former, I am not sure if it has been updated for the latest builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

DAK will also have your server declared as a non standard game and typically filtered out of peoples in-game browser under standard conditions (game filter set to ns2), whilst it's functionality is worth the cost to some servers - for public servers its a difficult choice to make.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Cheers, I'll go with nsstats, now to get people actually playing :P
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1998992:date=Oct 28 2012, 03:57 PM:name=eLbot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eLbot @ Oct 28 2012, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DAK will also have your server declared as a non standard game and typically filtered out of peoples in-game browser under standard conditions (game filter set to ns2), whilst it's functionality is worth the cost to some servers - for public servers its a difficult choice to make.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2Stats has the same effect now that it was unwhitelisted by UWE and will get filtered out from the server list by default.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000639:date=Oct 30 2012, 12:08 AM:name=Zeikko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeikko @ Oct 30 2012, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2Stats has the same effect now that it was unwhitelisted by UWE and will get filtered out from the server list by default.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, what's the justification for a data collection mod being gray-listed? Time to go investigating =/
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    :(
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unwhitelisted NS2Stats and other "vanilla" mods. We felt we needed to do this because script errors were preventing people from playing NS2. Hopefully we'll have a better fix for this post 1.0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012/10/beta_build_226_our_last_beta_build" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2012...last_beta_build</a>
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Aw man.
    *takes mods off*
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000908:date=Oct 30 2012, 07:26 AM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Oct 30 2012, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aw man.
    *takes mods off*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ditto

:'(
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hopefully people understand there's very good reason for any modified servers to be "black-listed" by UWE at the moment and that is because during launch time they want first-time players to be experiencing a consistent gaming environment. Can you imagine if a first-time player entered a highly modified server on their first time playing without realizing and then made judgement of the game based on that first experience?

In the future I suspect they will relax the server browser. Oh and by "blacklist" it's really "greylisting" as they do encourage mods, just not right at this moment.
  • VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    Sure... Highly modded servers should be filtered for new players... But you can hardly call DAK and ns2stats for "heavy mods". They doesn't change the gameplay at all... They just makes it a bit easier for the admins in some way or another.
    Actually a bit annoying that something like MOTD isn't just built into the vanilla game ;)
    I do however understand why they would black-/greylist all mods if some people are having script errors that keep them from playing.
    In fact it helps with the player experience with stuff like votemap and voterandom
  • xLithxLith Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165969Members
    How do they expect us to build our communities to support their game if we can't get a simple MOTD up with information?
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes I am also expecting they will eventually add a MOTD feature into their vanilla server build. And you are correct in that it's something very simple that will aid towards the development of the NS2 community. Fingers crossed the feature comes soon!