The New Awesome Improve your gameplay 500% with just 2 Steps Guide!

hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Guaranteed to work or your just doing it wrong!</div>Yes thats right improve your gameplay by 500% by doing the simple steps below:

1. Click on Training -- > Explore Mode --> Start a game on each of the default maps. (At least once twice if your awesome)

First step easy huh?

2. Do a lap around the map. Go in EVERY room taking the basic walkways. Then go in and out of every vent entrance. Take Careful note of power nodes, res nodes, entrances to each area, hive/cc locations. (Example: Someone says onos bar power node is being chewed on and your in locker room. Whats fastest way to get there running? Whats fastest way with a jetpack?) You need to know these things and yes they ARE game changers.

99% of the best players in NS2 know the default maps like the back of their hand and don't have to press "M" unless they are trying to see where the action is or if they hear "Base/Structure is under attack" so they can know where it is to get there.

I notice most people running into walls or spend a minute trying to figure out where the vents are located and/or even get lost in a hive/cc room.

Map awareness will save your life, get you more kills, save your team, and help your team secure a victory. Its the ALL in 1 package to make you that much better at NS2.

**Note that this guide does not cover strategy, specs, upgrades, etc. Those things will improve your gameplay a lot as well, but none of them will compare to the above Guide as far as improvement to your game. After you have awesome map awareness, please proceed to other strategy guides.

Game On

Comments

• PurgatusPurgatus Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165982Members
    As a beginner, the Explore mode did not help me much.

There are just too many parts of the levels to keep it straight.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007071:date=Nov 2 2012, 02:59 PM:name=Purgatus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Purgatus @ Nov 2 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a beginner, the Explore mode did not help me much.

There are just too many parts of the levels to keep it straight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's probably best to play a few rounds of the game to get an understanding for why map knowledge is important, then go into explore mode and learn once you understand.

Or just play the game enough that you learn the maps in-action. That way is a lot more fun :)
  • hiloboyshiloboys Join Date: 2008-05-27 Member: 64340Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007080:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:05 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Nov 2 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's probably best to play a few rounds of the game to get an understanding for why map knowledge is important, then go into explore mode and learn once you understand.

Or just play the game enough that you learn the maps in-action. That way is a lot more fun :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very true, it is a lot more fun this way, but it hurts your team by doing it this way, especially when there are new players that do this asking their team mates many basic things like how to get to X waypoint or asking the comm to give them waypoints since they dont know where to go. Kind of hinders the game. Once the new players start to dwindle and everyone becomes a bit more used to the game, it will really show. But for now since about half players are newbies, shouldnt affect game that much. I still recommend doing the first and second step. ;)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can get map knowledge by playing, but it's important that you don't rely on the crutch of keeping your minimap open all the time. You'll never learn to navigate without it unless you just force yourself to know the map layout by sight.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2007071:date=Nov 2 2012, 02:59 PM:name=Purgatus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Purgatus @ Nov 2 2012, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a beginner, the Explore mode did not help me much.

There are just too many parts of the levels to keep it straight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I agree. Same with any MP game.

People do things you cannot expect until you play with others. Thats most of the charm.

And memorizing always seem to sink in better through the punishment of dying. :) You only die once to a guy hiding behing the crate in de_dust2, after that you check every time.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Memorizing through anything but rote can be really hard for some people, so a bit of looking around maps in explore mode isn't going to cut it.

Heck, I spent hundreds of hours playing NS1 and knew every map like the back of my hand, but still had a hell of a time finding my way around ns2_veil as an alien because the infestation is extremely disorienting.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2007068:date=Nov 2 2012, 10:56 PM:name=hiloboys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hiloboys @ Nov 2 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2007068"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->99% of the best players in NS2 know the default maps like the back of their hand and don't have to press "M" unless they are trying to see where the action is or if they hear "Base/Structure is under attack" so they can know where it is to get there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to point out, I know the maps like the back of my hand and I still spend maybe a quarter of my game time with the map open. Both in pubs and in competitive matches. Situational awareness is key.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    Some of the minimaps are awful though. I think it's Summit? It shows rooms like Elevator Control being connected to 5 other hallways, when in reality it's not connected to them at all. Vents often aren't shown connected to the rooms they leave, and on maps like Veil it's not clear at all where you enter the vents. Often you run into hallways with ladders that your gorge / onos can't traverse.

The fact that Hivesight was totally nerfed / removed doesn't help at all. I'd love to hear an explanation as to why they decided aliens don't deserve to know where their structures are under attack at.