Natural Selection 2 News Update - Post-Launch Post-Mortem

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Post-Launch Post-Mortem here

Comments

• DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    Hats off to you guys. The game exceeded everyone´s expectations, even yours.

Im one of those experiencing the precache bug, but I cant help and be happy for you guys. all that hard work paying off. thousands of players, #1 in steam sales, awesome reviews by very respectable sources.

All these bugs that happened are just that, bugs. bugs are easy so squash with a nice, oversized shoe.

Keep working, I will keep praising and trying to get more people in this game.

Hopefully soon enough you guys will be able to enjoy that champagne that was left unattended when problem arose during launch.

For another 10 years!
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    Im gonna add here too that mineshaft has a weird, bigger, much bigger lagg than on any other of the maps
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Can someone point me to the servers where Aliens actually win ?. So far ive lost every single alien game besides one, but marine team ive won every single of those.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Thanks UWE for this game. I havepoured so many hours into alpha, beta, and now the 1.0. I am excited to see what may come!

Also, Dont forget about the exosuit bug I mentioned to you guys a while back. The video is still there!
    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj0SL6GSt9w" target="_blank">
    exo suit walking bug</a>
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
  • CrusherCrusher Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156083Members
    I was a little disappointed when the game launched and I couldn't play cuz of the precache bug, but seeing this news, I'm so happy for you guys and for the game as well. You've always been killing those bugs at a super fast pace and reading this I can't wait to start playing again!!
    AWESOME GAME, LOVE IT!!
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    Amazing job UWE. If anyone deserves success it's you guys. Too bad those bugs had to appear, really glad you have the biggest one almost squashed. Keep up the great work.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Hats (or headsets) off to everyone at UWE. The support from Multiplay and others I'm sure that I am unaware of. And us, the community. This has been a truly fantastic ride! UWE, I raised a glass in your honor on Halloween. I got a few stares. Fools, they simply don't know! :P
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    the last week prior to release was insane. seemed like a crazy risk to make those changes. but lookin pretty damn good. DI - also.

havent had chance to try due to hurricane sandy :(.. but i have power & net access now... tonight I play!!!!!!!!!!

love the art book & music. looking forward to forthcoming updates....
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004865:date=Nov 1 2012, 01:37 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Nov 1 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can someone point me to the servers where Aliens actually win ?. So far ive lost every single alien game besides one, but marine team ive won every single of those.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a steeper learning curve for Aliens than for Marines, give it time. Most new players are used to shooting things, and when given control of a skulk, they just rush straight at the enemy while holding down Mouse 1. As time passes, they'll catch onto the play style of veteran players and start using the walls and ceilings, as well as more advanced techniques like wall jumping, using taking cover, pretending to run away but doubling back, etc.
  • BadIronTreeBadIronTree Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34252Members
    edited November 2012
    Good jobs guys My Collector edition thanks you :P (my brother got the extra key)
    3 years now you were my home page :)

CU in more successful projects :)
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    ... So tired, commanded so many games the last 2 days :P
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    How you like them apples you gun toting apes?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Unfortunately the win rate doesn't say much about the game in general, it would be really nice if we could get a breakdown of duration, lifeforms, etc. I still feel like aliens struggle hard at the start of the game, particularly without an instant second hive. And 2 hive onos egg is still broken, even more so against inexperienced players.

That being said, congratz on a more or less successful release! :)
  • CrusherCrusher Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156083Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004911:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:07 PM:name=extollo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (extollo @ Nov 1 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->love the art book & music. looking forward to forthcoming updates....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is it out already? Can't wait to download the music!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a first investor and black armour owner Ive not played one second since launch due to the bug. Its so nice reading all the lovely comments though, I miss playing.
  • dethovudethovu Join Date: 2009-06-23 Member: 67906Members
    Fantastic update! Watching the live stream, everything looked so calm and copacetic.

Can't believe aliens hold a percentage of wins over marines, either!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So weird how some people are getting this bug and others not. I have the crappest 6 year old laptop (20fps AVG / 10 in battles) yet it never fails to work :)
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    There's probably something that exacerbates it. If low-res textures reduce the frequency, it might have something to do with the relative sizes of system and/or video RAM, or maybe it's a race condition affected by the relative clockspeeds of system and/or video RAM, that sort of thing.

I've been very lucky to not suffer from it, although the game does take a rather long amount of time to load even on a fast CPU and solid state disk. Level loads take far longer than it would take to load the assets from disk into RAM, so methinks there's some sort of processing going on, and I wonder if some of that work can't be cached to disk (much like shader compiles are already) to speed up subsequent map loads.
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Sounds like a great release guys. So sad that I didn't bring my PC when I moved country. Especially since I have been playing NS since the very beginning. Oh well, I'm home over xmas and then I'll take it with me! Thanks for all you hard work on this marvelous game. Cheers.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Congrats again guys. *returns to pubstomping / commanding*
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2004966:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:40 PM:name=MuckyMcFly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuckyMcFly @ Nov 1 2012, 02:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004966"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a <b>first investor</b> and black armour owner<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's wrong, you aren't an investor - you are a customer.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2005009:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:05 PM:name=carlgm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carlgm @ Nov 1 2012, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's wrong, you aren't an investor - you are a customer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering that there was no guarantee there would ever actually be a game when those first pre-orders started, yeah, we kind of are investors. Our expected ROI was the game, but it wasn't guaranteed.

Besides, Constellation really was, we didn't get anything concrete in return for that (other than these spiffy icons), that was us paying for a free game because we loved it and wanted to support the development team :)
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2005016:date=Nov 1 2012, 03:08 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering that there was no guarantee there would ever actually be a game when those first pre-orders started, yeah, we kind of are investors. Our expected ROI was the game, but it wasn't guaranteed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, we are still consumers. We purchased a product a game with alpha/beta access, the fact that it may not have been released in the end still doesn't make you evolve from an consumer to an investor.
  • BitPonBitPon Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75104Members
    Fantastic job guys! I remember buying HL2 many years ago even though I never was much of an half-life fan, I bought it because I was certain that all the old HL mods would have sequels based on source ^^ It's been a long time coming, but it was worth it! Staying up til 5 AM because I'm having to much fun playing a game is something I haven't experienced in many, many years! I'm 17 again! Thanks UWE!
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    One thing is that the server bug was annoying tho it only was happening on UWE offical servers so am glad there was others there and hats of to them for there servers GJ :)
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005024:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:12 PM:name=carlgm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carlgm @ Nov 1 2012, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, we are still consumers. We purchased a product a game with alpha/beta access, the fact that it may not have been released in the end still doesn't make you evolve from an consumer to an investor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Investors are defined as people put capital down and expect financial returns. Most of the time it's financial return, but it makes sense that we can go ahead and say that NS2 is a return, if not a financial one. The investor is defined by the trait of risk also, part of investor psychology.

Customer- Buy, consume.
    Investor- Buy, Risk, Profit/No Profit.
    NS2 Investor/Customer- Buy, Risk, Consume.

Why does it have to be either?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had many great games since the engine test days, well worth the price I paid.
  • BadIronTreeBadIronTree Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34252Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005036:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:20 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Nov 1 2012, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Investors are defined as people put capital down and expect financial returns. Most of the time it's financial return, but it makes sense that we can go ahead and say that NS2 is a return, if not a financial one. The investor is defined by the trait of risk also, part of investor psychology.

Customer- Buy, consume.
    Investor- Buy, Risk, Profit/No Profit.
    NS2 Investor/Customer- Buy, Risk, Consume.

Why does it have to be either?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True... it was the first kick-starter before kick-starter :PPPP

Relax guys and play the game.. if you can ;)