Game is crashing. Any suggestions to fix would be appreciated.

TigerSummonerTigerSummoner Join Date: 2005-04-27 Member: 50325Members
Long time player of NS, just got NS2.

It seems that I am unable to play NS2 despite d/ling, updating drivers, etc. Whenever I join or create a game, one of two things will happen: 1) The game will crash at the precaching section, kicking me out of the game entirely. 2) I will enter the game, but things will be very laggy, and I will eventually freeze. I was able to play briefly, but it was very choppy/laggy.

My computer is not the newest, but it runs most game well enough.
Intel Duo Core 3.00 ghz
Windows 7
2 gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

If anybody else has this bug and knows how to fix it, let me know, please.

Comments

• XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Your ram is on the low side, that is honestly probably why.

Your graphics card is good and your cpu is ok but ram has a huge impact on games. Luckily its the cheapest part of the computer you can get for the most part.

Id suggest investing 60 dollars in 4 more gb or so, need to be running windows 7 64bit though
  • icecoldhateradeicecoldhaterade Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164753Members
    i know of the bug you speak of game crashing in the precaching sectio n there is no fix not currently any way ive posted here and tweeted the devs they responded to me and some other player saying they will work to solve it today that was last night and i dont know there timezone but it will be worked on
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I'm with Xostean, you don't have enough ram. Minimum requires state 2GB of RAM though. Hmmm.
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    If he is within theminimum advertised, you cant say anything about his specs.

This is a known issue and they are working on it as we speak
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    While it's not a perfect answer, turning off bloom and shadows will give you a FPS boost.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    Look here, this will hopefully fix your problem.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=122598</a>
  • TigerSummonerTigerSummoner Join Date: 2005-04-27 Member: 50325Members
    I tried the suggestions in the link that was posted, but it did not fix the problem. I do not believe the RAM is the issue. It might be an issue when it comes to performance, but it would not explain random crashing. I guess I will just have to wait until the game is patched. It's quite a bit of a let down when you buy a product and it isn't usable. :-/ If there are any other suggestions, I'll give them a try.
  • MisfireMisfire Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5764Members
    turn off additional overlays like fraps, mumble, msi afterburner. having those on + steam overlay crashed the game consistently for me.
    I don't use any additional overlays. Maybe I should try disabling all other programs before running NS2... hmm..
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><b>*PHASED*</b> to Tech Support.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ScopeTCRScopeTCR Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164752Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003385:date=Oct 31 2012, 01:52 PM:name=TigerSummoner)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TigerSummoner @ Oct 31 2012, 01:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried the suggestions in the link that was posted, but it did not fix the problem. I do not believe the RAM is the issue. It might be an issue when it comes to performance, but it would not explain random crashing. I guess I will just have to wait until the game is patched. It's quite a bit of a let down when you buy a product and it isn't usable. :-/ If there are any other suggestions, I'll give them a try.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It absolutely IS your RAM. I found out the problem yesterday, all users that have Win7 32 bit cannot play this game. All users with Win7 64 bit CAN play but minimum of 4 gb of RAM is required. So either believe me or don't but you can't play without 4gb of RAM. That is, unless the devs create an official patch which I don't see how it would work.
  • zeronilzeronil Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165140Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003408:date=Oct 31 2012, 01:08 PM:name=ScopeTCR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScopeTCR @ Oct 31 2012, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It absolutely IS your RAM. I found out the problem yesterday, all users that have Win7 32 bit cannot play this game. All users with Win7 64 bit CAN play but minimum of 4 gb of RAM is required. So either believe me or don't but you can't play without 4gb of RAM. That is, unless the devs create an official patch which I don't see how it would work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to tell my friends with 32-bit systems not to bother buying it since they wont be able to play.
    I wish I had known it took 4gb of RAM to play it... I don't have the funds to upgrade my computer now. Is there any way to get an official word on the RAM requirement? If all players with <4gb RAM aren't able to support the game, I think people should be informed.
  • v8hemiv8hemi Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165208Members
    edited October 2012
    I have 6gb of RAM with a GTX570... I can't seem to play longer than 5 minutes without crashing. I do have Win7 32-bit but that seems like a terrible excuse for crashes. Just joined a game now and after hitting tab to see the scoreboard my whole screen got covered with a checker board texture then crashed again. Really disappointing...
  • magicmangomagicmango Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164777Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have 6gb of RAM with a GTX570... I can't seem to play longer than 5 minutes without crashing. I do have Win7 32-bit but that seems like a terrible excuse for crashes. Just joined a game now and after hitting tab to see the scoreboard my whole screen got covered with a checker board texture then crashed again. Really disappointing...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

im getting the same sort of stuff, im just waiting and hoping that they get a fix out for it today,
    im checking back in on their twitter for updates:
    <a href="https://twitter.com/NS2" target="_blank">https://twitter.com/NS2</a>

also im on windows 7 64bit, radeon 6850
    edited October 2012
    DirectX and my video card drivers are the latest version. Also tried validating my NS2 data files. I just crashed again before even seeing the Ready Room. For once I actually got a log, here it is:

Date: 10/31/12
    Time: 19:48:52
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 227
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (9.18.13.697)
    Sound Device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone (USB Audio Device)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 227
    Error: Unrecognized key name ''
    Connecting to server 199.21.113.10:27715
    Client : 0.000000 : Loading VM Client
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_baggagescreens_01.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_plants_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_tram_01.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'materials/descent/descent_floor_01_a.material'
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_docking.level'
    Predict : 0.000000 : Loading VM Predict
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_03.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
    Error: No shader specified for material 'models/props/descent/docking_tram_02.material'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/docking_shower_towelrack3.model'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/props/docking/shower_test.model'
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/infestation/infestation.dds' (invalid format)

-----------------

I'm getting a little sick and tired of wasting hours of my time trying to play this game for even 5 minutes. I played the original NS for 2 years, started a clan, joined a CAL league, was a long time follower of the development for NS2 since day 1 and now this. Aside from the crash I just posted above, the issue I'm experiencing is different than the pre-caching crash because I can at least get into the game *most* of the time. I've spent hours trying to play since the release last night and I haven't seen even one mention of a potential patch or that they even acknowledge the issue or apologize to those of us that are experiencing it.
  • ScopeTCRScopeTCR Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164752Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003637:date=Oct 31 2012, 04:42 PM:name=v8hemi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (v8hemi @ Oct 31 2012, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm getting a little sick and tired of wasting hours of my time trying to play this game for even 5 minutes. I played the original NS for 2 years, started a clan, joined a CAL league, was a long time follower of the development for NS2 since day 1 and now this. Aside from the crash I just posted above, the issue I'm experiencing is different than the pre-caching crash because I can at least get into the game *most* of the time. I've spent hours trying to play since the release last night and I haven't seen even one mention of a potential patch or that they even acknowledge the issue or apologize to those of us that are experiencing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Amen. I agree, I haven't had any reassurance at all, only a portion of the people who bought the game can play and the rest, well screw us. I pre-ordered the game and thought how amazingly fun it would be. This is just ridiculous the fact that I can't even get a GLANCE at the game because nothing loads before a crash. I want to play the game when it releases, and I find it funny how all these beta players didn't have any trouble then come release we all get royally screwed. They should change it on steam to "64 bit users: Released 10/30/12, 32 bit users: Releasing Summer 2013"
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    I have a similar system. I run with 8GB though, and a nvidia 260. Game runs great full at full res with most of the fancy stuff turned to low. One way I did get a 10ish or so more frames was overclocking my Core 2 Duo 3Ghz cpu up to 3.6 - 3.8 Ghz. The core 2 duos were so power effecent and cool, this is typcally really easy to do. If you are lucky, you mobo will have some kind of one click overclock mode as a many did at that time. I know this wont help with crashing (probrably), but it might help you run the game smoother.
  • PararoidPararoid Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164819Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003408:date=Nov 1 2012, 09:08 AM:name=ScopeTCR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScopeTCR @ Nov 1 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It absolutely IS your RAM. I found out the problem yesterday, all users that have Win7 32 bit cannot play this game. All users with Win7 64 bit CAN play but minimum of 4 gb of RAM is required. So either believe me or don't but you can't play without 4gb of RAM. That is, unless the devs create an official patch which I don't see how it would work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well if that is the case then the Devs need to change the system requirements because they list both 2gigs of Ram and Windows 32 bit as within the required settings.

I feel at least a little uneasy looking at the sheer numbers of people who will likely never complete a game of NS2, that they just purchased, due to almost dishonestly low system requirements.
  • icecoldhateradeicecoldhaterade Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164753Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003775:date=Oct 31 2012, 09:30 PM:name=Pararoid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pararoid @ Oct 31 2012, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well if that is the case then the Devs need to change the system requirements because they list both 2gigs of Ram and Windows 32 bit as within the required settings.

I feel at least a little uneasy looking at the sheer numbers of people who will likely never complete a game of NS2, that they just purchased, due to almost dishonestly low system requirements.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    they are working on the fix and the requirements arent dishonestly low yes we 32 bit users are getting screwed right now but it worked great 32 bit in beta
  • magicmangomagicmango Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164777Members
    im 64bit and still getting the same problems, i'll wait and see what this patch fix does
  • ccrraazzyymanccrraazzyyman Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165267Members
    I'm having this problem as well, and I pre-purchased the game a while ago and was playing just fine last week. I have no idea why this is so broken for me, but it's so frustrating being that I was playing fine last week.
  • bagderbagder Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164786Members
    edited October 2012
    un-break my game,
    say youll cache for me agaaaain,
    undo this hurt in the night when you said you were released,
    then crashed on my comp,
    unnnn-cry these tearrs
  • oceN-shottyoceN-shotty Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15718Members
    I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, so it's not an entirely common denominator it seems.

Both the Alpha and Beta has worked fine for me without issue. I'm afraid this problem may have occurred with the release build.

Patience is a Virtue. I believe the NS2 team is fully aware of this problem by now, and are working as hard and as fast as humanly possible to fix it :)
    We all should be happy we don't live in a war torn country. We have roofs over our heads, and food on our tables. We can't complain.

Waiting with unlimited amounts of patience :)
    //Neco
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2003605:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:24 PM:name=v8hemi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (v8hemi @ Oct 31 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003605"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have 6gb of RAM with a GTX570... I can't seem to play longer than 5 minutes without crashing. I do have Win7 32-bit but that seems like a terrible excuse for crashes. Just joined a game now and after hitting tab to see the scoreboard my whole screen got covered with a checker board texture then crashed again. Really disappointing...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just keep in mind that your 32bit OS will only address about 3.3 gigs of your ram. So you will not effectively be able to use the full 6 gigs.
  • kikaxakikaxa Join Date: 2012-08-19 Member: 155845Members
    here is some clarification about memory address space for 32bit windows:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121842&st=0&p=1990409&#entry1990409" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1990409</a>
    edited November 2012
    Downloaded the new patch... Seemed to be playing fine other than the fact I was seeing square checkerboard boxes on my alien teammates. Jumped into commander and crashed yet again... Not wasting anymore time with this game. Let me know when the NEXT patch is released.
  • snowfox86snowfox86 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165579Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003445:date=Oct 31 2012, 05:32 PM:name=TigerSummoner)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TigerSummoner @ Oct 31 2012, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wish I had known it took 4gb of RAM to play it... I don't have the funds to upgrade my computer now. Is there any way to get an official word on the RAM requirement? If all players with <4gb RAM aren't able to support the game, I think people should be informed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have 2.1gb of Ram, 2.0 is the minimum. I don't have any issues besides the freezing and crashing that everyone else seems to be having. I'm just sitting tight until the patch comes out.
  • RaskRask Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159600Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003775:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:30 AM:name=Pararoid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pararoid @ Nov 1 2012, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well if that is the case then the Devs need to change the system requirements because they list both 2gigs of Ram and Windows 32 bit as within the required settings.

I feel at least a little uneasy looking at the sheer numbers of people who will likely never complete a game of NS2, that they just purchased, due to almost dishonestly low system requirements.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Patch is out, you might want to try it.
  • MoosickMoosick Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165332Members
    New patch seems to be working! :D