Anyone here comming from Tremulous ?

rastignacrastignac Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164766Members
Main reason why I and my small team bought NS2. It's Tremulous with better gameplay and new engine, feels nice.

Now we've been a bit lost with the commander system as it is much more like Starcraft. I think it'd be nice to have a gamemode with no commander, rather having everyone able to build with the welder (just like trem).

Tremulous friends, arise !

Comments

• MunchySnacks1MunchySnacks1 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164609Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2003225:date=Oct 31 2012, 03:38 PM:name=rastignac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rastignac @ Oct 31 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003225"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Main reason why I and my small team bought NS2. It's Tremulous with better gameplay and new engine, feels nice.

Now we've been a bit lost with the commander system as it is much more like Starcraft. I think it'd be nice to have a gamemode with no commander, rather having everyone able to build with the welder (just like trem).

Tremulous friends, arise !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is actually a mod called Combat you can find it on the steam workshop and there are a few servers I have seen running it.

Added Link: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=4920&section=collections" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/...ion=collections</a>
  • rastignacrastignac Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164766Members
    Hm seems nice. Though maybe it's best to get used to commanding, a fresh air is always welcomed.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I tried that game years ago, did not like.
    The graphics was horrible (HL1 engine was better at that time)
    And the general feel of the game didn't seem fun.
  • Captain VentrisCaptain Ventris Join Date: 2012-09-27 Member: 160871Members
    Loved Tremulous. Played the heck out of it for years. I was one of the early members of a clan, Comrades of Might, and co-created a sort of Granger (Gorge equivalent) Olympics thing called the Granger Games. I was also the first member of the Mercenaries Guild 'clan'.

Sadly, the lack of development life on Tremulous made its long-standing balance issues become more and more entrenched, and I ended up moving on with the dissolution of Comrades of Might.
  • PacraPacra Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165132Members
    I was huge into tremulous. That game ruled.
  • PacraPacra Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165132Members
    I loved Tremulous, it ruled. I definitely remember the Granger Games. Also the dretch is 10x better than this 'skulk' thing!
    I remember finding the perfect upward angle to look at so you'd instantly deal 99 damage if you bumped into a human. Their design never made a darn bit of sense compared to the other aliens. :P

I still laugh at the memory of the sounds the Dragoon made. That thing sounded goofy.
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tremulous seems like a rip off from NS1 mod (2002)
    Tremulous began development a year earlier than NS1, but NS1 released first. Regardless, both were based on a Quake 1 (?) mod called Gloom.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    I came from Gloom -- not a real fan of tremulous -- would love to see gloom remade on doom3 engine seems perfect partnership there (or NS2's engine)
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003439:date=Oct 31 2012, 04:29 PM:name=Scubbo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scubbo @ Oct 31 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I came from Gloom -- not a real fan of tremulous -- would love to see gloom remade on doom3 engine seems perfect partnership there (or NS2's engine)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make it yourself. NS2's gameplay code is all open source, you or anyone else are free to mod it into Gloom or whatever else you want.
  • ClonesaClonesa Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143691Members
    Gloom was a Quake 2 mod afair.
  • SvKSvK Join Date: 2010-06-30 Member: 72214Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003481:date=Oct 31 2012, 04:58 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Oct 31 2012, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make it yourself. NS2's gameplay code is all open source, you or anyone else are free to mod it into Gloom or whatever else you want.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I woulnt mind helping although isnt Gloom Trademarked by Team Reaction or something? Their website is long since abandoned.
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003439:date=Oct 31 2012, 05:29 PM:name=Scubbo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scubbo @ Oct 31 2012, 05:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I came from Gloom -- not a real fan of tremulous -- would love to see gloom remade on doom3 engine seems perfect partnership there (or NS2's engine)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I started messing around with some coding for the Doom 3 engine and I started to realize just how <u>perfect</u> the engine would have been for NS2. I really wish UWE looked into licensing id Tech 4 after ditching Source.

If someone was to remake Natural Selection classic on the Doom 3 engine, I would love to contribute some code. It would be a bit unethical however since it would probably end up affecting NS2 sales.
  • SaladSalad Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167746Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    I'm coming here from Gloom and a little bit of Trem. Definitely having some trouble adjusting to having a commander, but I'm getting used to it and having fun

The Spark engine seems great for this genre, the dark places stay fairly dark even after turning off shadows and other options.
    Would be awesome if Team Reaction got on it and made a proper mod. I wonder what <a href="http://www.r1ch.net" target="_blank">R1CH </a>is up to now.

Cheers!
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    I always liked how the aliens in gloom were kinda more logical in terms of their abilities, NS basically copied gloom's base unit then made it into a big dog with solid bone limbs which somehow allows them to walk on walls at normal gravity easily ? >.> actually a lot of similarities in the units but we won't go there EH?....
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2013262:date=Nov 6 2012, 05:42 PM:name=Salad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Salad @ Nov 6 2012, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm coming here from Gloom and a little bit of Trem. Definitely having some trouble adjusting to having a commander, but I'm getting used to it and having fun

The Spark engine seems great for this genre, the dark places stay fairly dark even after turning off shadows and other options.
    Would be awesome if Team Reaction got on it and made a proper mod. I wonder what <a href="http://www.r1ch.net" target="_blank">R1CH </a>is up to now.
    Cheers!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They would <u>never</u> use the Spark engine. They would most likely go with something like id Tech 4 (and possibly the BFG version). When my power was out because of Sandy, I used my remaining laptop battery to look at some offline files I had, mainly the Tremulous source code. I would love to contribute to Tremulous 2.
  • SaladSalad Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167746Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I like the wall walking dogs, they look great when a whole pack is munching on some power nodes.

Anyway, I feel like any unit similarities are good. We are all here trying to play a fun game and this Aliens vs. Marines genre has a lot of history and balance testing behind it with Gloom, NS and Tremulous all taking different approaches.

If nothing else (and I'm quite liking ns2 so far) UWE has created a wonderful engine with great modding tools. I am excited to see what people come up with!
    <!--quoteo(post=2013306:date=Nov 6 2012, 03:19 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Nov 6 2012, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2013306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They would <u>never</u> use the Spark engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why don't you think so?
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited November 2012
    that doom3 engine does not exactly support large player counts (4 or 5 in DM .. 4 player coop really taxed each clients computer already), plus its netcode kinda sucks, it would be quite overloaded with the player speeds gloom would require
  • OgraitOgrait Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164306Members
    Played few times Tremulous. Never liked it really.

I also came from<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heJetHOK7MA" target="_blank"> gloom</a>.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    Enjoyed Gloom, didn't really get into Tremulous much. The pace of those games was pretty intense.
  • rotacakrotacak Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183091Members
    We loved Tremulous, so we finally decided to make a spiritual successor with all things that we love from that game and many new features. Currently we are on Kickstarter.

You can look there at some new 3D objects and concepts.

marauder.jpg
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    tremulous turret spam qq
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Played a lot of tremulous a few years back, wouldn't say I CAME from it though, played NS1 before that.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    rotacak wrote: »
    We loved Tremulous, so we finally decided to make a spiritual successor with all things that we love from that game and many new features. Currently we are on Kickstarter.

You can look there at some new 3D objects and concepts.

marauder.jpg

Never played Tremulous. Looks very interesting though. Good luck with the kickstarter!
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    gloom was fun :o

if I remember correctly, the default 'skulk' didn't even have an attack, you had to leap and make contact with them to do dmg
  • CycloneCyclone Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183099Members
    I came from about three years of Tremulous, and when I first saw NS2 on Steam, I saw Trem 3.0 :P it took some getting used too, especially the visual clutter and whatnot. (In Trem, you didn't have trouble seeing anything, period, but I'm fairly used to the visual setup now.)

My name in Trem was LoneWolf btw, and I was in ZeroLimit and Pk, just in case I might know any of y'all.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Welcome, players of Tremulous! And good luck with that kickstarter, it would be awesome to see a remake. Having never played it (Though often meaning to), I'm not sure if this is valid: But perhaps the Spark engine could help you make it? With all the NS2 wall walking / alien movement code you could use as a base, it might allow you to get the game out faster.

Of course, many will howl at me about performance, but if Tremulous doesn't have a commander mode it is very likely the game logic code would not be as crazy complex as NS2's, and thus the game could run very fast in Spark.
  • OgraitOgrait Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164306Members
    edited February 2013
    ogz wrote: »
    gloom was fun :o

if I remember correctly, the default 'skulk' didn't even have an attack, you had to leap and make contact with them to do dmg

It was a facehugger. With grapplig hook :)

In beginning u see hatcling.

I find many similarity gloom to ns. As i see to trem also. Mech is kind of exo, fade is drone, breeder is gorge. Just that freedom of building as a breeder is what i miss in ns2 too. Always different bases and different "settings". Also damage balancing was easy cos of many damage types (cells, rockets, bullets, railgun). Wish there were games today, but its dead.