High quality host for Europe?

FarlowFarlow Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164571Members
edited October 2012 in Server Discussion
Hey there!

I am currently very convinced of the fact that hosting a big server for european players, such as myself, would be the best I can do to support the community!
However... I am struggeling to find any host, except www.gameservers.com, who actually offers NS2 servers. I don't like their website.. not "tasting" professional.
So the hunt continues:

<u>What I actually need is:</u>
-a host location in Europe.. Germany/Netherlands would be perfect
-16+ slots
-public
-if possible an additional TS3 server

I would be willing to pay up to ~35Euro a month if I have to.
High Quality preconditioned.

Thanks for your advice in advance. ;-)

Farlow

Comments

• ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    Would be interested in this also!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Besides gameservers, I don't know of any other EU server companies offering preset NS2 servers. Your two other options are:
    - Talk to Oldassgamers about renting one of his servers: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121893" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=121893</a>
    - Rent a dedicated server and run 3-4 NS2 servers off it (I'm partial to <a href="http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex4" target="_blank">Hetzners EX4 setup</a>, which could likely handle three 16 player NS2 servers + TS3)

However, you could probably just wait a few weeks and see if any other EU game hosting company decides to add NS2. In fact, you might want to find some in the locations you prefer and contact them to see if/when they would add NS2 to their list.
  • FarlowFarlow Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164571Members
    Im currently thinking about hosting my own server, until a company around here decides to add NS2.

I got a fast 100Mbit connection here.. 12Mb/s download, 6Mb/s upload.. Probably enough for hosting a single server while playing.
    My secondary computer, which would form the temporary server, is running with:
    3,2GHZ Intel QuadCore
    4GB Kingston HyperX Ram

Sadly it uses the Realtek onboard ethernet and would not run the game from an SSD.
    Guess the computer isn't powerful enough to run a 16 slot NS2 server smoothly. =/

I'll have a look at Hetzner.. Thanks a lot!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That would likely be fine for hosting about 2 NS2 servers around 16players. CPU clockspeed is largely the most important consideration. Not having a SSD or better ethernet usually isn't a problem.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is there any info on hosting NS2 from an SSD? Apart from an anecdotal "it's faster". Sure map changes might be a bit faster, but really what else can it do? Hosting NS2 of old generation disks, and the load times never seem to be an issue.
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2001382:date=Oct 30 2012, 11:31 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Oct 30 2012, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2001382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any info on hosting NS2 from an SSD? Apart from an anecdotal "it's faster". Sure map changes might be a bit faster, but really what else can it do? Hosting NS2 of old generation disks, and the load times never seem to be an issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 is all about clock speed right now. :)

Gameservers in general don't care if the map loads within 1 second or 2... a ssd probably helps when you try to host more than one server or when you are running additional stuff like a database etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=2001382:date=Oct 30 2012, 02:31 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Oct 30 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2001382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any info on hosting NS2 from an SSD? Apart from an anecdotal "it's faster". Sure map changes might be a bit faster, but really what else can it do? Hosting NS2 of old generation disks, and the load times never seem to be an issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suspect that would be the only benefit. Otherwise its clock speed and ensuring you have enough RAM (2GB per server instance).
  • BluefangServersBluefangServers Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164763Members
    Hello everyone!

BlueFangSolutions.com is offering up to 16 slots! Visit the <a href="http://www.bluefangsolutions.com/shop/natural-selection-2/" target="_blank">NS2 ordering page</a>!

Regards,

Bluefang