Terrible Performance, Please Help

MaverickkMaverickk Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58857Members
Bought NS2 tonight when it was released. My pc specs meet both the minimum and recommended ones;

Windows 7 Home 64bit
Intel i5 3570 (3.40GHz quadcore)
Nvidia GT 610
8GB DDR3

Using most up to date Nvidia drivers.

The game runs pretty bad. With EVERYTHING turned to either "Off" or "Low" (if there is no off) I'm getting about 20fps in rooms with lots of objects like the CC or Hive room, around 25fps or so in small corridors when I'm alone, and any time there's a fight going on less than 20fps. I wouldn't even try playing as Alien with this, and even playing as a 'rine has it's challenges. I've literally got every piece of eye candy off. No occlusion, no AA, no shadows. I've tried playing in my native resolution of 1440x900, all the way down to 1024x768 (tested in both full screen and windowed), and while a lower resolution did give me an extra <i>frame or two</i> it wasn't much of an increase.

Normally when playing a game the only programs I have open are Vent, Trillian, Xfire, Raptr. And yes, I've tested with every last program off, no performance increase. I've ran NS2 in admin mode, with High process priority in task manager as well, no performance increase.

I have no idea what else to try. I know my GPU isn't the "latest and greatest" like a 690 but it's barely a 8 month old GPU, it came out this past spring. My PC can handle other modern games like Guild Wars 2 just fine (and there's a boat load more people and action on screen at times than in NS2).

So what do I do? I've attached a copy of a recent log.txt file I'm at a complete loss how this is performing so badly. If it won't get better can I get a refund from Unknown Worlds? I loved NS1 back in the day but I just don't have the patience to play a FPS game with sub 20fps these days.

[attachment=36151:log.txt]
log.txt 10.5K

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    in the console type r_stats and it will give you a breakdown of your performance. This can be highly affected by the server, so if you're running on a poor server then your computer will have to do more client prediction, and slow it down. This will also decrease your performance in explore mode and listen servers.

That video card looks like it might be cause problems, but getting your r_stats info will be more helpful.
  • MaverickkMaverickk Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58857Members
    Is there a way to dump the information r_stats is giving me? Or should I manually type out each line here? Or more importantly what should I be looking for in r_stats that would indicate an issue?

And please don't tell me it's the GPU, the GPU is fine. I mean I can get stable FPS in some games like MechWarrior Online (which is in beta) and it uses the brand spanking new CryEngine 3 by the dudes who make the Crysis franchise. So if I can get a solid 30 FPS there, I'm prettttty sure NS2 should at least give me that much if not more.
  • esotericizmesotericizm Join Date: 2012-10-28 Member: 164192Members
    NS2 is pretty clock speed dependent. Although I'm on a 965BE @ 3.4GHZ and get a steady 50fps so I'm not sure why you're getting so low. I would try and OC your CPU a bit and see if that helps a bit.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    It looks like your GT 610 video card might be the the weakest link here. It is a very low powered, budget card which is unsuitable for running modern graphics-intensive FPS games.

According to PassMark, the GT 610 has a performance score of 349. (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+610&id=33)

For reference, the minimum requirement of NS2 would be a NVidia 8600 (PassMark score of 328), which means your video card barely meets the minimum requirement.

The recommended video card for NS2 should exceed those of "DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, AMD 5770, NVidia GTX (sic) 450 or better", which have PassMark scores of 1500 or higher.

Personally, I would strongly recommend upgrading your video card at least to a medium budget card (~$100-200).
  • MaverickkMaverickk Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58857Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2001988:date=Oct 30 2012, 11:29 PM:name=esotericizm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (esotericizm @ Oct 30 2012, 11:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2001988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 is pretty clock speed dependent. Although I'm on a 965BE @ 3.4GHZ and get a steady 50fps so I'm not sure why you're getting so low. I would try and OC your CPU a bit and see if that helps a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering people are reporting FPS drops whom have i7's that are even better than my i5 I don't think OC'ing will help much.