What is the deal with skulk footsteps?

Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
Are they supposed to sound like a pair of racehorses when running around the map (for some reason it seems more noticable in vents)?

Why don't skulks just have the same clicking footstep sounds that they did in NS1? Or at least something different/distinguishable from marines footsteps other than the awkwardly high frequency.

Comments

• koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    i also have thought about this ...
    but i don't like the jumpsound of the skulk ... it sounds so ..... human ... mechanic ... ? don't know it exactly, but i did expect something else from a little sneaky alien :)
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    I think this is one area where they should've just re-used the NS1 sound, honestly.

When I came back to NS2 a couple years after the Alpha night launch, I finally got to experience it, and it was immensely confusing trying to listen for skulks.
    Despite not having played NS1 in nearly 3-4 years, I was still extremely used to the old skulk sound.

The new sound sounded like marine footsteps, and that invariably led me to my doom countless times until I started adjusting to it. At least now I'm not fooled anymore, but it still sounds like marine footsteps. :/
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    NS1's sharp tapping sound is more fitting for their sharp claws.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    edited October 2012
    I cannot remember observing it last night, but has marine footsteps increased in sound yet? A while ago they were silent, or at least far far quieter than skulks.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Since a sound is different, it takes a little while to get used to it and learn to recognize it? Well I never...

The sound might be bad in itself (the jump really sounds like the skulk is wearing boots), but a good reason to change it is not "well I played NS1 and don't want to learn anything new".

By the way, what's with the huge overall reverb/echo that was added in 224? Or am I just imagining things?
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    I know they have four legs, but it still sounds off to me. I always think there are multiple units around me. I hate it.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998098:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:08 PM:name=snaga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snaga @ Oct 26 2012, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since a sound is different, it takes a little while to get used to it and learn to recognize it? Well I never...

The sound might be bad in itself (the jump really sounds like the skulk is wearing boots), but a good reason to change it is not "well I played NS1 and don't want to learn anything new".

By the way, what's with the huge overall reverb/echo that was added in 224? Or am I just imagining things?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not that learning something new is undesirable; in fact, I basically had to learn how to play the game all over again.
    But my gripe was that the new skulk sound doesn't really sound like a skulk - it sounds like a bunch of footsteps, which as peregrinus noted, doesn't really fit with the sharp claws that the skulks have. Unless skulks have suddenly started wearing shoes/sneakers harvested off dead marines that I'm unaware of.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    What I don't like is that you don't hear your own footsteps as loud as the enemy does. So it's hard to estimate how audible you are.
  • Captain VentrisCaptain Ventris Join Date: 2012-09-27 Member: 160871Members
    And Airplane food, too. What's up with THAT?
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998145:date=Oct 27 2012, 03:11 AM:name=Captain Ventris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain Ventris @ Oct 27 2012, 03:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And Airplane food, too. What's up with THAT?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha, I had the same exact line of thought after seeing the title.
  • Bad MojoBad Mojo Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67317Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998098:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:08 PM:name=snaga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snaga @ Oct 26 2012, 07:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Since a sound is different, it takes a little while to get used to it and learn to recognize it? Well I never...

The sound might be bad in itself (the jump really sounds like the skulk is wearing boots), but a good reason to change it is not "well I played NS1 and don't want to learn anything new".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't need time to recognize the sound, because it's the same sound that is used for marine footsteps, only it's louder and cycled 5 times as fast. I compared it to the NS1 sound because the NS1 sound is simply more fitting for the skulk, and I think it's hard to deny that.

If you want a more neutral justification, the skulk is obviously much lighter than a marine so the walking sounds should be much more subtle in comparison. Plus the skulk's feet pretty much come to a point, so depending on the surface being traversed, a clicking sound would seem suitable for the impact sound. There's your "realistic" reason.

Now here's a gameplay reason: Skulks rely on stealth and ambush (or they should be; it's taking some people a long time to figure that out) to get frags. If walking sounds like a speedhacking marine with the volume cranked up, it doesn't matter where you are. If you aren't holding shift until you are right up behind a marine, they will be instantly alerted to your location no matter where you are.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that skulk footsteps are too difficult to differentiate from marine footsteps. Logically they shouldn't sound remotely the same at all.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998149:date=Oct 26 2012, 04:12 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Oct 26 2012, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha, I had the same exact line of thought after seeing the title.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Add me to the list
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998127:date=Oct 27 2012, 09:43 AM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Oct 27 2012, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I don't like is that you don't hear your own footsteps as loud as the enemy does. So it's hard to estimate how audible you are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same as how i feel regarding to footsteps. Its a weird system i dont know of any other games that have louder sounds for the enemy and its down right confusing to think a marine is pretty far away how could they possibly hear me from there and over their own footsteps. Oh nvm dead.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    I've found it distinctive enough. I think people are over-reacting. In some months nobody will complain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    I can distinguish between skulks and marine sounds ok, but I find the skulk movement sound just plain <i>annoying</i>.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    One problem is that they actually sound like thick claws walking on metal. Maybe it's too realistic for a computer game. But you can't say that they don't sound like they should sound.