Pistol Exploit

DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">About time this gets fixed ya?</div>So came across a guy by the name of (name removed by GISP - no namecalling please) abusing the hell out of the pistol. Turns out you can easily make or just use a script that unloads your entire magazine in about a tenth of a second. Well this basically one shots a skulk and it's pretty lame. So I'd recommend server ops ban this guy if you see him, and there needs to be a limit on the fire rate for the pistol.

Comments

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    There already is a fire delay of 0.1 seconds (according to NS2 wiki and I haven't heard otherwise). I don't know about any scripts in NS2, but macros can be made in hardware drivers for some devices and I don't know if there is any effective way to block those. The fire delay is there to tone down pistol scripts as it is probably the best way there is to fight those scripts. Dunno if it should be longer, but right now it should make it so that a pistol can fire a maximum of 10 shots in a seconds.
  • KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->You are correct, Squirreli. But there was a bug a while back that allowed you to bypass that fire restriction. It's possible they haven't fixed it yet. I might check and let the PTs know.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    You can't actually do what the OP is writing. There is a minimum refire rate that negates the potential benefit gained from a pistol script.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997601:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:40 AM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Oct 26 2012, 07:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dunno if it should be longer, but right now it should make it so that a pistol can fire a maximum of 10 shots in a seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This wouldn't do anything.

*runs away like zoidberg*
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1997618:date=Oct 25 2012, 10:25 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 25 2012, 10:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't actually do what the OP is writing. There is a minimum refire rate that negates the potential benefit gained from a pistol script.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aside from the fact that you can, and myself and several other people saw it. Tell you what I'll make a quick a video and post it here so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.
  • BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    edited October 2012
    You can actually hit a button 10-15 times a second if you train hard enough. :D So the entire use is pointless

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U0r30AAOW_4#t=119s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...30AAOW_4#t=119s</a>

heres a video example of a friend of mine who is currently learning this game too. If he feels like hopping in to claim it, I'll let him do that :D enjoy
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Arthritis and repetitive strain injury will put a stop to this....eventually.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Ok so here is a quick video I threw together showing off how this works. It can be fired a bit faster but I'm not going to put a lot of time into it.

<a href="http://youtu.be/8okTHYOJ8fE" target="_blank">NS2 Pistol Exploit</a>
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    I was also in the game with the person doing it. Not only is it possible, the guy was bragging about "abusing it until the game was released". If it's a script or a bug, it doesn't matter, but it is happening.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997853:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:49 AM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Oct 26 2012, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok so here is a quick video I threw together showing off how this works. It can be fired a bit faster but I'm not going to put a lot of time into it.

<a href="http://youtu.be/8okTHYOJ8fE" target="_blank">NS2 Pistol Exploit</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hard to tell with youtube's timer, but that does appear to be faster than the 1 sec that should be required based on the .1sec review interval. Interesting.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997853:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:49 AM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Oct 26 2012, 08:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997853"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok so here is a quick video I threw together showing off how this works. It can be fired a bit faster but I'm not going to put a lot of time into it.

<a href="http://youtu.be/8okTHYOJ8fE" target="_blank">NS2 Pistol Exploit</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Reminds me of what I used to do in CoD4 to piss people off, because there was no minimum fire fate on pistols.

I would bind my mousewheel up to attack, and whenever I took out my pistol, I would fire it exactly like that. If you can rebind the mousewheel to attack in NS2 I imagine this would make it no trouble at all to fire like that without needing a script, or exhausting yourself.
  • lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997861:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:06 AM:name=Tyrsis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tyrsis @ Oct 26 2012, 08:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was also in the game with the person doing it. Not only is it possible, the guy was bragging about "abusing it until the game was released". If it's a script or a bug, it doesn't matter, but it is happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I also was also there when the guy talked about abusing the bug till release. There really needs to be a way to ban people like this locally to the servers or at least report people while in game. Maybe i should make a mod that archives reports to server adminstrators.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997876:date=Oct 26 2012, 09:49 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Oct 26 2012, 09:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hard to tell with youtube's timer, but that does appear to be faster than the 1 sec that should be required based on the .1sec review interval. Interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh it's definately faster, i'm using a .012 repeat rate on the keypress. I could probably fine tune it a bit more too, but like I said I'm not trying to exploit it just show that it can be done. To be fair I don't think the pistol should really fire more than 5 or 6 times a second anyway since it's perfectly accurate. But yea there is definately a bug in the code somewhere that's letting the gun fire faster than intended.

Oh and I'll add the guy I saw doing it, did have it firing a bit faster. I would assume that it has something to do with me being on a local server, vice him having a ping higher than 0.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997904:date=Oct 26 2012, 10:30 AM:name=lifesfun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lifesfun @ Oct 26 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also was also there when the guy talked about abusing the bug till release. There really needs to be a way to ban people like this locally to the servers or at least report people while in game. Maybe i should make a mod that archives reports to server adminstrators.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There does seem to be a fairly good blacklist amongst some of the more popular servers. I've seen a few people go away and never come back.
    It takes a full second to unload the pistol in that clip. Also, you can click nearly that fast. My point wasn't that you couldn't write a script to shoot at the minimum refire rate. It was that there was a minimum refire rate that couldn't be exploited past. (some jumping animations aside from previous builds) Pistol scripts are usually effective when there is no minimum refire rate.

What would you do to "fix" this? Simply writing an outside script to shoot slightly faster than you can click to shoot anyway is hard to stop in game. Do you just want to nerf the pistol and bring it down to 0.2 refire rate? What about everyone who can legitimately shoot the pistol >5 times a second?
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997919:date=Oct 26 2012, 10:43 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 26 2012, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It takes a full second to unload the pistol in that clip. Also, you can click nearly that fast. My point wasn't that you couldn't write a script to shoot at the minimum refire rate. It was that there was a minimum refire rate that couldn't be exploited past. (some jumping animations aside from previous builds) Pistol scripts are usually effective when there is no minimum refire rate.

What would you do to "fix" this? Simply writing an outside script to shoot slightly faster than you can click to shoot anyway is hard to stop in game. Do you just want to nerf the pistol and bring it down to 0.2 refire rate? What about everyone who can legitimately shoot the pistol >5 times a second?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Noooo, it's actually faster than 1 second. Are you saying you could legitimately fire 10 rounds in the exact same spot in under a second with any handgun? Even though I just showed you me shooting the gun faster than the supposed minimum fire rate, you're still in denial it's amazing. It's not hard to stop at all actually, I would have to look at the source code to see how it's implemented and how it could be changed, but that's up to the dev team. <i><b>I</b></i> don't mind the gun firing as fast as you can click, but there should be a limit to stop it from being abused. People used to bind the attack key to the scroll wheel for basically the same effect. The best solution to stop abuse is to limit the fire rate or reduce the accuracy. My favorite solution would be to just ban everyone that cheats by abusing it.

Edit: by the way using a stopwatch I got about .80-.85 seconds for the magazine to be spent.
    edited October 2012
    It's about a second. I also timed it. And yes, players can click that fast. I can unload mine in <1.5 seconds while aiming it.

Your solution of changing how the pistol works is just a nerf for players who can use it well.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    If you're measuring .8-.85 then there may not be any bug here. Remember that the first shot is at t=0, second shot at t=.1, etc. so the last shot should fire at t=.9, which is very close to what you're measuring.

Maybe the interval just needs to be increased to .15 or .2?
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Watched the video and that's nowhere near how fast it was when there was actually no delay on it. Scroll wheeling it back then would shoot pretty much all 10 bullets at once. It's hard to tell on youtube with no timer in the video but I think if you watch 0:29-0:30 you can see that the 0.1 delay is there and there's no bug or exploit here.
    Your initial post said a tenth of a second. Unloading a pistol clip in under a second, or a second exactly, is not hard to do manually. Not hard at all.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited October 2012
    I've been noticing a reload bug along with a weapon switching bug lately on some servers

It might be possible to the delay because of these other issues

-
    edited October 2012
    You guys seem to be hung up on the fact that it may or may not be hitting a .1 delay. The point is the guy is basically one shotting skulks in the beginning of a round by doing whatever he is doing, which is an unintended point of the pistol.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997934:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:07 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Oct 26 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're measuring .8-.85 then there may not be any bug here. Remember that the first shot is at t=0, second shot at t=.1, etc. so the last shot should fire at t=.9, which is very close to what you're measuring.

Maybe the interval just needs to be increased to .15 or .2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right logically it should take .9 seconds at most to unload the pistol fully. However I'm getting less than that, and it's off a 1 button press. Also like I said I could make it faster, also you have to count the impacts not the sound or the graphic on the gun cause those aren't exactly synced up, it's the collision with the wall actually doing the damage. Measuring the last set of shots I did it was done in .7 seconds. As far as i'm concerned that's a bug.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997959:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:39 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Oct 26 2012, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right logically it should take .9 seconds at most to unload the pistol fully. However I'm getting less than that, and it's off a 1 button press. Also like I said I could make it faster, also you have to count the impacts not the sound or the graphic on the gun cause those aren't exactly synced up, it's the collision with the wall actually doing the damage. Measuring the last set of shots I did it was done in .7 seconds. As far as i'm concerned that's a bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

.7 is fast... but its not THAT fast. This "exploit" exists in all games that have these kind of weapons. Take BF3 for example, there is no limit, as far as I am aware, on the fire rate on any of the semi auto pistols. Luckily enough, <b>they're pistols</b>. The points of the weapon is not to fire fast or slow, its to be more accurate. If the "exploiter" is hitting with every shot he's firing, then he's being accurate, and is fulfilling the only requirement for effective use of the pistol. Firing faster or slower doesn't increase the effectiveness of the pistol (within reason).
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997949:date=Oct 26 2012, 02:31 PM:name=Tyrsis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tyrsis @ Oct 26 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You guys seem to be hung up on the fact that it may or may not be hitting a .1 delay. The point is the guy is basically one shotting skulks in the beginning of a round by doing whatever he is doing, which is an unintended point of the pistol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He's not, though.

It takes 5 pistol shots to kill a vanilla skulk. That's >=0.4s using a minimum refire rate of 0.1s. An LMG fires one bullet every ~0.055s (~18/s). It takes 9 bullets to kill a vanilla skulk. That is a kill in ~0.44s. That is only ~0.04s longer than a kill using a script to achieve minimum refire rate.

An LMG already accomplishes what you're complaining about from this guy's pistol.

Is it unfair that he's using a script to shoot faster than he would otherwise be able to? Sure, in the context of the pistol alone. But realistically, it doesn't make much (if any) difference because anyone can use their LMG to the same effect. The only way to "fix" this would be to make the pistol fully automatic and retain the 0.1 refire or even bump it to 0.15 to account for the fully auto pistol.
    Alright here you go gorgeous I just finished working it so now I can unload the gun in under .4 seconds, around .35 or so on average. Video will be up shortly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997964:date=Oct 26 2012, 02:45 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 26 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He's not, though.

It takes 5 pistol shots to kill a vanilla skulk. That's >=0.4s using a minimum refire rate of 0.1s. An LMG fires one bullet every ~0.055s (~18/s). It takes 9 bullets to kill a vanilla skulk. That is a kill in ~0.44s. That is only ~0.04s longer than a kill using a script to achieve minimum refire rate.

An LMG already accomplishes what you're complaining about from this guy's pistol.

Is it unfair that he's using a script to shoot faster than he would otherwise be able to? Sure, in the context of the pistol alone. But realistically, it doesn't make much (if any) difference because anyone can use their LMG to the same effect. The only way to "fix" this would be to make the pistol fully automatic and retain the 0.1 refire or even bump it to 0.15 to account for the fully auto pistol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You obviously have not seen what he is doing, so I'm unsure as to why you're arguing against it so much. The guy was basically looking at people and killing them. The entire server, even his own team, wanted him gone.

There is a bug in something, and he is abusing it. If this is "intended" because they want the pistol to be semi automatic, then it needs to be fixed, as it's unfair. If he hit you _once_ you were dead, there was no perceivable delay from the aliens POV. Davil and a few others in this thread are just reporting the issue.
    If you're actually firing your pistol faster than once every 0.1s then there is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Your first video showed you firing about every 0.1s.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    The only thing that is potentially wrong here is someone using a script to exploit a 'bug'. While it may be possible or even likely that it was done via a script, you really can't prove that a script was being used - some people are just able to click very fast.

Gorgeous is right - there is no real discernable benefit to this supposed pistol scripting than using an lmg. I clicked the video expecting very very fast pistol scripting, but didn't see what such a big fuss was about.

Nevertheless, posting videos showing 'exploits', and publicizing their existence only help to make things worse. Next time OP, you should really email the devs about any supposed exploit...
    <!--quoteo(post=1997978:date=Oct 26 2012, 12:01 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Oct 26 2012, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're actually firing your pistol faster than once every 0.1s then there is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Your first video showed you firing about every 0.1s.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The first video was firing faster than every .1s. This next one the quickest time to fully empty the gun is actually .42 i got. Now there seems to be a connection to framerate cause when I was doing it without fraps the gun was empty in about .3-.37 seconds consistently. Timing it with fraps I actually got about about .42-.68. This actually has to do with fraps limiting my fps to 60 even though I set it to 90. Also the first video, like I said you have to watch the impacts, just time from when they start, to when they end. If you're going by sound it won't work because it's not synced up correctly. You need to watch the actual impacts. The guy we had an issue with was actually killing us before we even heard the gun sound, it was really that fast. This is probably due to a few milliseconds of silence before each shot so it's just getting restarted every bullet and you only hear a cascade type of effect. At any rate the video is uploading, I have a slow connection right now so it's taking awhile to get it done. Also the key thing here, is it's off 1 press. It's not like you're pressing the mouse really fast and probably throwing off your aim a little, it's just smooth extremely rapid fire.