Feature Request: vote penalty (for players using exploit)

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
== Actually: to prevent players using exploits again

Before "proof":
1. "stop that message" (mainly players dont stop it in that round)

Only viable mechanic i know:
1. go spectator (and lose your res)
2. take a screenshot of player using exploit (location + nickname)
3. find out the steam-id of this player and write it down
4. find out the admin contact adress (somehow)
5. write email to admin with screenshot + steam-id
6. hope the admin bans the player for some time
7. maybe: try to contact other admins (other servers)

BUT (in my opinion)
1. a ban is a bit to much (if this only happens 1 time)
2. there is no mechanic to track this how many times the same player uses an exploits
3. the way to get a ban on a player / to stop this behavior is a bit to much "work"

== Feature Request: vote for "lose res" + instant die (of exploiting player)

Vote the player to lose all res and die instantly.

All exploits i saw, players were using a flying unit / range-fire-unit.
By setting the res on 0 and letting the player die he has no choice to redo this (after an amount of time).

Example:
Lerk flying behind wall and shooting marine / marines structures -> player dies and has no res for lerk again (no flying unit / no range-attack unit)
Gorge bile bombing from behind the wall -> player dies and has no res for gorge again (no range-attack unit)
Same on marine side (no res for jetpack to fly behind the wall)

Mechanic:
v + 2 = vote for "stop exploit of player" + number for specific player nickname
if =50% of players (from 1 team) vote for this player (using the exploit on other team) he dies and loses all his/her ressources.

btw:
1. i know this doesnt happen much
2. other way: report exploits in map to get solved in next patch (its always a map related problem) BUT even if i track a player i dont know where the map leak is (to get behind wall)

The other thread could be deleted (not angry about this):
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122023" target="_blank">List of Players - using exploits...</a>

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Protip: if this annoys you, move to competitive for quality games.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    Look man, what is your problem?

First you call people who take advantage of exploits cheats. Then this. I feel you have no idea what you are talking about.

If you did you'd be accusing marines that jump over the head of skulks in combat of 'Cheating'.

An 'exploit' is someone using something that is in the game, that is unintentionally there. The fact of the matter is, people play games to win, so they use the game to their advantage.

I suggest you watch the tournament games from the last couple of big beta tournaments. You see loads of 'exploits' used in the tournaments. It is up to UWE, to remove these bugs from their game if they don't want them used, or it is up to individual server admins to decide if they have a problem with people using things that are legitimately in the game.

It is not always a map problem, sometimes it's a code problem. Like sliding up rock walls in crevice in combat while avoiding skulks as a marine, and ending up looking down from the heights. Sure you can tell someone to stop using it, but the fact of the matter is, when you move next to a rock prop, or indeed other props, there is the chance you will slide 'UP' them. Are you telling me these people are cheats?

Same with jumping over a skulks, players slide over the skulk, again because of physics bugs. These people are also exploiting, so are you going to ban every marine who jumps in combat with a skulk?

You really haven't got a clue. I'm not even sure you know what an exploit is. In fact, as you keep calling exploiters cheaters, I know you don't have a clue. They are not cheats, they are taking advantage of bad coding/mapping, it's called being competitive. Like in your other thread when you named competitive players for exploiting, lol, the very nature of being a comp player means using every tool in the game to your advantage, whether it is intentionally there or not.

Get off your high horse and go and play some games. Many people don't even know they are 'exploiting', but you'd have them hung drawn and quatered anyway.

In a beta game, full of bugs, your comments are ridiculous.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993703:date=Oct 19 2012, 02:49 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Oct 19 2012, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993703"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Protip: if this annoys you, move to competitive for quality games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didn't realise Exertus were letting in people just for complaining!
    This is really lame!!!
    (Can I join now?)

But seriously...
    Your asking the the devs who are currently in <b>feature lockdown</b> so they can <b>bug fix</b> to instead
    spend their time adding a <b>new feature</b> so that we can report people <b>abusing bugs</b>?

I am not quite sure if you understand what your asking.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1993716:date=Oct 19 2012, 05:27 PM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Oct 19 2012, 05:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't realise Exertus were letting in people just for complaining!
    This is really lame!!!
    (Can I join now?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not just for complaining. You need to be really really good at it like TrC is! That takes years of hard work and practice to master, but once you have that, give us a call!
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    So from you previous post and this one I gather that you think the laws of physics are exploits? You complain about bile bomb from vents in nano, and being out of the line of fire... Lol. Turns out bile is a slow moving blob that is affected by gravity (like a grande which can be used the same way). The only "exploit" I see is that marine bullets don't drift or drop due to gravity/wind. Stop ###### about being out played. Do what everyone else does or should do.

1. Learn the maps.
    2. Learn to aim
    3. Choose your battles

The 3rd is important, if a rine is in a vent don't charge him, if possible use a different entrance in vent. Or if rine is running up and down wall in crevice, let a lerk get him, or wait for him to move forward and ambush him.

None of the "exploits" u talk about are game changers. If some one is gorging outside the map and bile bombing rine start sure that's bad but nothing you ###### about is like this.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Lose all res and die? Seriously? Do you realize how much that would be abused?

*Dr. Evil* "How bout NO Scott!"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993698:date=Oct 19 2012, 01:42 PM:name=Joseppe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joseppe @ Oct 19 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. other way: report exploits in map to get solved in next patch (its always a map related problem) BUT even if i track a player i dont know where the map leak is (to get behind wall)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For a minute there I thought you were on about basic combat where a player takes cover during normal gameplay. but what you're actually saying is they go outside the playable area and attack from there? That would indeed be considered an exploit <b>and the only way to fix this is to know where this hole to the outside world is.</b>

However the system you're proposing is susceptible to exploiting itself as there is no real way of tracking these scenarios you speak off.

However this part of your post is nothing more than complaining about basic gameplay and has me confused, when combined with the previous quote...
    <!--quoteo(post=1993698:date=Oct 19 2012, 01:42 PM:name=Joseppe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joseppe @ Oct 19 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Example:
    Lerk flying behind wall and shooting marine / marines structures -> player dies and has no res for lerk again (no flying unit / no range-attack unit)
    Gorge bile bombing from behind the wall -> player dies and has no res for gorge again (no range-attack unit)
    Same on marine side (no res for jetpack to fly behind the wall)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    I do believe he is mainly talking about ns_tram and yes the map exploit has been posted and im sure they will fix it... at least i hope so. But yes you really should post bugs that may or may not be known so they can be taken care of instead of implementing some crazy system like that.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    He has a valid point, I saw the original post and seems some people, who would normally be seen as well standing members of our community, have been apparently observed by the OP.
    Whether it was them or not only those there will know but I hope we dont see anyone do something similar post launch. Very nice way to turn people off a game.
    Regardless of who it was I think that we would all agree that exploiting a mapping glitch to grief is pretty lame.

Would be better if you could some how flag a player for retro path vector analysis for the mappers (with a log file)....but depending on how much data there needs to be most likely will require too much additional work for the server (Sure could be a cool mod to help mappers).
    I mean the data is already sent by the client...someone would just need to work out how to buffer say 5 min and not have it choke down the server.
    Once a player is flagged their last 5 min path vectors are sent to the mapper/UWE/etc to see if they where exploiting a map hole and how or if they where just climbing on clogs (ala veil)

But I think thats all pretty much dreamland at this point...so we are stuck still needing active server admins.