Pro Settings

carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
<div class="IPBDescription">Share some tips if you're good.</div>Hey, I've put a good amount of time into this game so far (roughly 300 hours) and at this point I'm interested in ways to tweak my settings to make them optimal.

I know the pro players in this community have some settings that help them. I'm looking for, but not limited to, command to change crosshair style, any HUD settings, etc.

I saw Ryne playing with more of a classic Counter Strike style crosshair, I'm really interested in how to get that and also other commands to optimize my game play.

Thanks a lot! I'm new around the forums and I plan to make this my new game after playing CS 1.6 for the past 12 years. Really excited about competitive play and official release.. thanks for reading. All Pro Tips are welcome.

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114356&hl=" target="_blank">There you go.</a>
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check out NS2 steam workshop, crosshair and alien vision downloads on there.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Eh. Play with default settings and default graphics.

Modifying your graphics and changing the game for yourself is tantamount to cheating in my books, and I'm a fairly decent player with a lot of competitive FPS background.

Changing up your crosshairs, graphics, vision, FOV, etc is giving yourself a huge edge on the other players, therefore skill-handicapping yourself against others, therefore really quite equivalent to 'cheating'; perhaps not by the book definition of the game designers or the competitive community, but in all realism, it's giving yourself an edge other players won't have... then you won't know you're actually better when you smash them, or whether it's your tweaks, mods, and benefits causing your victories.

Pure, plain, default.
    That's how it's meant to be. Everyone on flat ground. Everyone even.

/End Rant.
    Much love.
  • EißfeldtEißfeldt Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155658Members
    The only 'pro setting' is high fps. Therefore you need a good overclocked cpu (above 4ghz).
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I like the dot crosshairs, the defaults are atrocious. Especially for parasite.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Make sure to disable atmospherics, so you don't get blinded by the flashlights :P
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1990984:date=Oct 14 2012, 01:19 AM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Oct 14 2012, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the dot crosshairs, the defaults are atrocious. Especially for parasite.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dear God, parasite xhair. When you miss not because your aim was bad but because you disagree with the crosshair you know it's BAD. I've shot at a marine standing still and not hit, just because I estimated the crosshair shape wrong. Could really use some fine-tuning.
  • carnage-wp-carnage-wp- Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162250Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990960:date=Oct 13 2012, 11:28 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 13 2012, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh. Play with default settings and default graphics.

Modifying your graphics and changing the game for yourself is tantamount to cheating in my books, and I'm a fairly decent player with a lot of competitive FPS background.

Changing up your crosshairs, graphics, vision, FOV, etc is giving yourself a huge edge on the other players, therefore skill-handicapping yourself against others, therefore really quite equivalent to 'cheating'; perhaps not by the book definition of the game designers or the competitive community, but in all realism, it's giving yourself an edge other players won't have... then you won't know you're actually better when you smash them, or whether it's your tweaks, mods, and benefits causing your victories.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh god, my brain hurts.

How is it cheating when everyone can change these settings?
    How do you figure out that "it's giving yourself an edge other players won't have"?
    They have it, they're just not using them for whatever reason, usually ignorance and apathy.
    Mods will be limited by consistency checking, you can't give yourself any real advantages other than minor hud customization.

<!--quoteo(post=1990960:date=Oct 13 2012, 11:28 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 13 2012, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pure, plain, default.
    That's how it's meant to be. Everyone on flat ground. Everyone even.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds to me like you're too lazy to figure out what settings work best and just default everything like a sheep.
    You'd probably really like console gaming. Or NASCAR.

From a gameplay standpoint everyone is on flat ground, forcing everyone to default will actually mess up players with lower end systems, making it unplayable for them. Quite silly.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1990981:date=Oct 13 2012, 03:06 PM:name=Eißfeldt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eißfeldt @ Oct 13 2012, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only 'pro setting' is high fps. Therefore you need a good overclocked cpu (above 4ghz).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This + dot crosshairs.

Much of the rest is just fiddling with your mouse sensitivity and FOV to find your most comfortable setting.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1991322:date=Oct 14 2012, 02:18 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 14 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This + dot crosshairs.

Much of the rest is just fiddling with your mouse sensitivity and FOV to find your most comfortable setting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd steer clear of FOV despite being something I really wanted as far back as NS1.

Well, on NS2, the current FOV gives a false sense of distance. I rather keep the FOV bar all the way to the left.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991249:date=Oct 14 2012, 08:17 AM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Oct 14 2012, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is it cheating when everyone can change these settings?
    How do you figure out that "it's giving yourself an edge other players won't have"?
    They have it, they're just not using them for whatever reason, usually ignorance and apathy.
    Mods will be limited by consistency checking, you can't give yourself any real advantages other than minor hud customization.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll ignore your blatent, obvious hostility and trolling and address your point;

Just because everyone has access to complex settings and personalization through delicate console commands and manual file modification doesn't mean everyone (or even most) will do so.

Tweaking yourself legally or otherwise into a superior position is not justified by "Everyone else could do it, too"; is the option included as a default feature and highly dispersed and utilised by the average player? If not, you're artificially putting yourself in an advantageous situation, whether "against the rules" or "not".

It's a philosophic difference in the approach to your gameplay; not that I'm saying you're not allowed to do so. If you cannot appreciate that a competitive game should be equal-ground for all players, you're hopeless and probably have never played anything competitively.

In regards to "It's only cosmetics, minor hud changes, etc", sure. For now. It's a matter of greyscale, not black and white. When does a minor hud change become a beneficial element? When does your reticle being more accurate and concise become you having a handicap aim-assistance? When does better mouse interpolation become an unfair advantage? There's no precise answer, because certainly, in the mildest of changes, it's just an aesthetic upgrade and causes no advantage. But surely you cannot honestly believe that a heavily modded out interface with 'non-default, overwritten graphics and interfacing' does, at some point, become a massive (or even subtle) advantage in a public game. Especially when that game strives to be "Competitive".

All that said, I'm not sure where your over hostility, insulting tone, and childish remarks come from (Nascar, Brainless, Love Console Gaming, you're a sheep)...

Much love.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991380:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->is the option included as a default feature and highly dispersed and utilised by the average player?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're on the workshop which UWE is really try to promote; after all moddability is one of the selling points of this game as well. Just a few clicks to install from your lovable Steam interface.

As for "pro settings":
    - Max resolution but all the candy turned off
    - Dot crosshair
    - Gorge heart-shaped healing spray
    - Black armor gloves and equipment (improves your aim by 15%)
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990960:date=Oct 13 2012, 09:28 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 13 2012, 09:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh. Play with default settings and default graphics.

Changing up your crosshairs, graphics, vision, FOV, etc is giving yourself a huge edge on the other players, therefore skill-handicapping yourself against others, therefore really quite equivalent to 'cheating'.

/End Rant.
    Much love.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Playing with a larger FOV is cheating? Then surely using a better, bigger monitor is cheating. Surely using a good mouse is cheating. Surely using a holycrap expensive keyboard is cheating if the other guy is using some cheap rubbish. What if you're in a sever and a few people on the other team are only dragging by at 30fps, while another player never drops below 60? Is he then a cheater because he has better hardware?

Seriously. I can't believe you just said that. You should perhaps not play games on the PC and instead consider playing on consoles, at least then no body can "cheat", eh?
  • meb10meb10 Join Date: 2012-10-14 Member: 162326Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990960:date=Oct 13 2012, 03:28 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 13 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a fairly decent player with a lot of competitive FPS background.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    there's no way this is even remotely true based on what you've said

good jokes though
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    tips for being a pro in ns2

<i>turn down all the graphic settings </i>- this will give you the edge because your game will have no shadows and everyone else will have atmospherics and shadows blinding their aim

<i>turn the gamma all the ###### up </i>- as we all know having dark areas in maps is bull######

<i>use a pro dot crosshair</i> - dots make you aim magically better

<i>find/code a script to make the pistol shoot faster</i> - because if it can be done, someone out there is abusing it, and that puts you at a disadvantage.

have fun
    <!--quoteo(post=1991380:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because everyone has access to complex settings and personalization through delicate console commands and manual file modification doesn't mean everyone (or even most) will do so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First of all, most relevant visual settings can be accessed through the options menu.
    And if they're too lazy, apathetic or ignorant to check the options, then that's their problem. And quite a serious problem at that, being dependent on spoon-feeding.
    Either way, a mediocre player vs a pro will get destroyed on any combination of settings and mods/no mods.

<!--quoteo(post=1991380:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tweaking yourself legally or otherwise into a superior position is not justified by "Everyone else could do it, too"; is the option included as a default feature and highly dispersed and utilised by the average player? If not, you're artificially putting yourself in an advantageous situation, whether "against the rules" or "not".

It's a philosophic difference in the approach to your gameplay; not that I'm saying you're not allowed to do so. If you cannot appreciate that a competitive game should be equal-ground for all players, you're hopeless and probably have never played anything competitively.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Starcraft2 players that play for hundreds of thousands of dollars are allowed to use their own mouse/KB hardware, tweak their mouse speed, mouse driver settings, change any keybinds, use any combination of graphics settings in the game and most choose to set everything to low for better visibility and FPS.

I guess they're all a bunch of cheaters that don't know anything about competitive gaming, and the hundreds of tournaments from the EU, US, Korea, China are just big sham and the millions of fans that watch them on internet streams and TV broadcasts alike are morons.

<!--quoteo(post=1991380:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In regards to "It's only cosmetics, minor hud changes, etc", sure. For now. It's a matter of greyscale, not black and white. When does a minor hud change become a beneficial element? When does your reticle being more accurate and concise become you having a handicap aim-assistance? When does better mouse interpolation become an unfair advantage? There's no precise answer, because certainly, in the mildest of changes, it's just an aesthetic upgrade and causes no advantage. But surely you cannot honestly believe that a heavily modded out interface with 'non-default, overwritten graphics and interfacing' does, at some point, become a massive (or even subtle) advantage in a public game. Especially when that game strives to be "Competitive".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Besides dot-crosshairs that generally help you focus on aiming better, there aren't relevant mods that can help you without the respective files they change being locked by the consistency checking.

Aim-assisting? Not without actual hacks.
    Jacking up the gamma on your monitor settings? Yeah, I'm sure we can enforce something to stop these cheaters.

<!--quoteo(post=1991380:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 14 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All that said, I'm not sure where your over hostility, insulting tone, and childish remarks come from (Nascar, Brainless, Love Console Gaming, you're a sheep)...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what happens when someone starts making such silly statements and general nonsense about competitive community.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    So much bad advice in this thread.

LOL at the guy who thinks changing settings is cheating. What a retard.

There are no pro settings in NS2, what you want is consistency and to remove visual impairing 'features'

- /maxfps 60 (have to do this every map change). As your fps fluctates, your sensitivity fluctates. You want to lock your fps at what your computer can consistently hold. Then muscle memory takes over
    - Custom xhair (use workshop)
    - No shadows, atmospherics
    - Go into the .lua files and make sure marines/skulk/gorge/lerk/fade/onos fov value is set to the same on everything. FoV affects your sensitivity, so you want it to be consistent.
    - There used to be a mod which minimised the HUD and removed the red/minimised sound volume when your damaged. I don't know if it gets passed through consistency anymore though.
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1990960:date=Oct 13 2012, 04:28 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 13 2012, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh. Play with default settings and default graphics.

Changing up your crosshairs, graphics, vision, FOV, etc is giving yourself a huge edge on the other players, therefore skill-handicapping yourself against others, therefore really quite equivalent to 'cheating'; perhaps not by the book definition of the game designers or the competitive community, but in all realism, it's giving yourself an edge other players won't have... then you won't know you're actually better when you smash them, or whether it's your tweaks, mods, and benefits causing your victories.

Pure, plain, default.
    That's how it's meant to be. Everyone on flat ground. Everyone even.

/End Rant.
    Much love.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This was a hilarious poe, thanks man.
  • dasdoggdasdogg Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162378Members
    reduce input lag:

in NVIDIA Control Panel:

disable triple buffering
    disable vsync
    Render ahead limit 0
    Settings =/= Third party mods that bypass integrity checks =/= Customized graphics and 'better' interfacing/models.

I'll yet again mostly ignore the personal attacks and whatnot.

I'm not arguing or stating that in-game designed settings, or highly encouraged and available minor tweaks are evil. I'm arguing that the line needs to be carefully and critically drawn in the sand when it comes to allowing the playerbase flexibility in modifying their copy of the game, and allowing the playerbase to change their settings within the game.

And if you honestly want to tell me that "Competitive" games (Takes me back to CAL-I CS1.6 i^k) don't police their players in terms of what they're allowed to change and what they are, you are greatly mistaken. You listed that SC2 players are allowed to tweak certain things. That's just it. Certain things.

Not everything. Not even most things. This game is rife with problems about graphical interpretation and local file caching from what I understand. It was Rantology who told me (and everyone in a 22 player match) to disable bloom to see cloaked aliens. Is that cheating? Or is it "Fair game" because the developer failed to address it at the time?

It's a matter of how you approach things, and your personal integrity. Everything isn't black and white, why do you insist on it being so?

Tweaking your drivers, some graphics nobs, some gamma, that's all good and well. Replacing skulks with a bright pink cube? No. Not okay. Not a 'tweak'. Replacing your crosshair graphical file with something superior and more accurate? Not really fair, but more fair than the cube-skulk. It's all a matter of what the developer feels is right/fair.

Something like this is very critical for UWE to take a very key role in and stance on. If left up to the community, rifts will form and people will have hateful, childish arguments (a la this thread) about what is and isn't fair and what constitutes a 'tweak' and what constitutes cheating.

You're picking a fight with someone who's not entirely against you for the sake of angry defense of something that should be discussed and addressed; not something that you should throw into a corner and ignore or ridicule. It's a greyscale, and should be addressed as such.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I think we should all just presume ColtColt is trolling us.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm with you on this, Coltcolt. On top of that, you are the only one presenting your argument rationally and at a adult level.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991669:date=Oct 15 2012, 04:52 AM:name=ForlornHope)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ForlornHope @ Oct 15 2012, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm with you on this, Coltcolt. On top of that, you are the only one presenting your argument rationally and at a adult level.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks. It isn't so much that I'm against allowing small modifications/aesthetic changes, it's that the line between 'small aesthetic change' and 'small preventable advantage' is a finite thing, and the developer has final say on the matter (or in the case of any serious league that endorses the game, which they won't if the game isn't reasonable policed in terms of fairness/base-lining).

I look forward very much to competitive NS2, once it's beyond the meager step-stones of gathers and one-week lifecycle teams and clans. An important concept to be embraced for the game in the name of competitive play is a level playing ground, and that can only be decided by the developers and how much they decide to restrict potential modifications.

<!--quoteo(post=1991669:date=Oct 15 2012, 04:52 AM:name=azurescorch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azurescorch @ Oct 15 2012, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think we should all just presume ColtColt is trolling us.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not at all. If you read my actual posts and try to withdraw from the over-defensive attitudes so prevalent on any community's forums, you'll see there's a kernel of legitimacy to the statements. Modifying your game (at some point, some undefined level, to be decided by vague morality) becomes cheating. If a person running on an older computer can't aim due to poor FPS/etc, is he justified in getting an aimbot? Or if you can disable ambient bloom to bypass game mechanics, and/or disable vsync and manually edit buffering to modify game realities (invisible walls, non-invisible invisible aliens) as we've seen in earlier builds.... is this cheating?

It isn't trolling.

My very first post was in the spirit of the morality that any competitive gamer should embrace; vanilla, unedited game provided by the developer should be the basis on which we play. Sure, we have different hardware and might want to alter our gamma or some drivers. No, we shouldn't be replacing models and transparencies and modifying up to the absolute allowed edge of what is considered 'fair'; that mentality is precisely what drives the scumbag breed of person who wants to win so badly they stoop to cheating. They justify it under many of the same guises.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    UWE has already decided what you can and cannot modify. Who exactly are you presenting your argument to? No one in this thread has presented anything out of those boundaries...
    <!--quoteo(post=1991645:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was Rantology who told me (and everyone in a 22 player match) to disable bloom to see cloaked aliens. Is that cheating? Or is it "Fair game" because the developer failed to address it at the time?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Depends, does it make them fully visible? Then it's an obvious bug.
    Does it help you see the cloak effect a little easier? Then it's fair game, SC2 players choose low graphics settings with no bloom so they can notice cloaked units easier as well.

<!--quoteo(post=1991645:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a matter of how you approach things, and your personal integrity. Everything isn't black and white, why do you insist on it being so?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This coming from the guy that said changing your graphic settings is cheating.

<!--quoteo(post=1991645:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tweaking your drivers, some graphics nobs, some gamma, that's all good and well.
    Replacing skulks with a bright pink cube? No. Not okay. Not a 'tweak'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not possible with the consistency checking, as I've already mentioned 2 times.

<!--quoteo(post=1991645:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 15 2012, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're picking a fight with someone who's not entirely against you for the sake of angry defense of something that should be discussed and addressed; not something that you should throw into a corner and ignore or ridicule. It's a greyscale, and should be addressed as such.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, I'm just dissapointed by the silly unfounded doomsaying, ignorant opinions about the competitive community and general trolling.
  • meb10meb10 Join Date: 2012-10-14 Member: 162326Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991673:date=Oct 15 2012, 08:00 AM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 15 2012, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It isn't trolling.

My very first post was in the spirit of the morality that any competitive gamer should embrace; vanilla, unedited game provided by the developer should be the basis on which we play. Sure, we have different hardware and might want to alter our gamma or some drivers. No, we shouldn't be replacing models and transparencies and modifying up to the absolute allowed edge of what is considered 'fair'; that mentality is precisely what drives the scumbag breed of person who wants to win so badly they stoop to cheating. They justify it under many of the same guises.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have no idea how someone who has allegedly played CS at a respectable level years ago advocates for a "level playing field" yet does not understand how impossible that idea is. There is no "level playing field" in multiplayer video games unless you lock player settings down at LAN on provided hardware (which no respectable league does for FPS games). There will always be someone out there with more money than you who has an inherent advantage. They will have better FPS than you, better ping than you, and 5 120hz monitors at their disposal.

It primarily up to the developers to clearly designate what is to be locked down and what is fair game. For example, NS had sv_pure and locked FOV settings. Make a post with good arguments for what settings you want to see locked down. Arguing the morality of tweaking settings that are <i>available to everyone to mod and tweak</i> is a huge waste of time.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991697:date=Oct 15 2012, 08:52 AM:name=meb10)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (meb10 @ Oct 15 2012, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and 5 120hz monitors at their disposal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol theres this guy on youtube that had crysis running on a monster setup with some nice monitors and there were SO many idiots calling it cheating because of course he had more viewing area. LOL
    <!--quoteo(post=1991673:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:00 PM:name=ColtColt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColtColt @ Oct 15 2012, 02:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not at all. If you read my actual posts and try to withdraw from the over-defensive attitudes so prevalent on any community's forums, you'll see there's a kernel of legitimacy to the statements. Modifying your game (at some point, some undefined level, to be decided by vague morality) becomes cheating. If a person running on an older computer can't aim due to poor FPS/etc, is he justified in getting an aimbot? Or if you can disable ambient bloom to bypass game mechanics, and/or disable vsync and manually edit buffering to modify game realities (invisible walls, non-invisible invisible aliens) as we've seen in earlier builds.... is this cheating?

It isn't trolling.

My very first post was in the spirit of the morality that any competitive gamer should embrace; vanilla, unedited game provided by the developer should be the basis on which we play. Sure, we have different hardware and might want to alter our gamma or some drivers. No, we shouldn't be replacing models and transparencies and modifying up to the absolute allowed edge of what is considered 'fair'; that mentality is precisely what drives the scumbag breed of person who wants to win so badly they stoop to cheating. They justify it under many of the same guises.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You out right ignored some of the statements we put forth though. Such as is having better hardware cheating if it makes the game easier for the player? ie, monitor size and resolution, a good gaming mouse+kb compared to a $5 one.

FOV changes can be perfectly legit too. What if you are playing on a larger monitor? You'd want a higher FOV than if you was on a small monitor. The more of your FOV your screen takes up the more FOV you need to set your game to for it to look natural.

I do not believe you are being honest in your statements, it appears to me you are trying to spark a debate on a subject that is simply ludicious to debate about. I believe you are indeed trolling, albeit in a smart and itelligent manner. Trolling is not confined purely to stupidity.

Excuse any typos or errors in my reply, but I do not have time to proof read. I was meant to leave work 10 minutes ago.