"Cheating" by disabling atmo/shadows?

2»

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Such tweaks are normal, in every game that gets played in a comp environement the players will get the best out of the possible commands. And for some ppl it just makes the game playable.

I also have everything off (Bloom, atmo and shadows) to get my 60-80 FPS and less distraction like the FL fog. And the "cheats" are aviable in the options so UWE are a bunch off cheaters? If you think others get an advantage because theyr game diesn't look as nice as it could do it also.

In the ESL f.e. they have clear rules what is allowed and what not and CVAR blocks need to be enabled for different options so all have the same setup.

The casual gamers do not care about such things but comp ones do.
  • DethGauntDethGaunt Join Date: 2003-06-02 Member: 16938Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1987328:date=Oct 5 2012, 11:14 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 5 2012, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like I mentioned there are different degrees of cheating. Exploits are cheats too, just not as serious as e.g. aimbots. It wasn't about the label; call it "advantaged/disadvantaged" if it offends you so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course its not cheating. There are a set of rules and its up to the players to interpret and push the boundaries up to these rules. Any unclear interpretation can then be refined by the devs. This is a form of metagaming and adds nothing but depth to the game. Every player can make these changes, and normally the "advantages" arent even quantifiable, and exist just to make the game a better experience to that player.

Have you ever watched any other real sport? F1 for example? Where cars differ so greatly but fit within the same set of rules. This is not cheating. This is a major part of the sport, and without it any innovation and creative thinking would be lost.
    How about football where everyone wears different shoes, have you also thought about the weight of the kit that probably slows down some teams more than others?

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->I need to read the forum rules.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Edit: Apologies for the personal attack.
  • RedLaserBeamRedLaserBeam Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161410Members
    I cheated once on my O. Chem exam by studying constantly. I mean I didn't have to I had the choice of either studying or play video games instead but I cheated instead by studying so I passed that class with an A.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-snip-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i don't think he was flame baiting as there is a valid (yet apparently weak) point behind his reasoning. just because he has a different point of view doesn't mean you may call him "<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->-snip-<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->", that's quite arrogant imo.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    PC gaming will never be a 'fair', it hasn't been for years. People buy better systems, have better internet connections, change settings, change files, scripts, etc.

The best any game developer can do is to limit that as best as possible. That or you buy a console, where the only real factor can be brightness and your net connection.

He is right in part, but it just comes with the territory. Personally I think consoles are a great thing. It is just that no one has come up with one that has controls that can compete with PC games, along with the communities, game development and everything else that is cool about PC gaming.

Someone mentioned gamma settings, well people will no doubt do that still. I have a really high quality monitor with really high contrast ratios (IPS-S PANEL) and unless I crank brightness and gamma up I can't see that well. I don't bleech the screen out, but just make it reasonable enough to see and play, and probably ends up looking like a normal TN display.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    My monitor is pretty sick too, I don't need to use my flashlight in a dark room. Which allows me to sneak up on that one alien that isn't using alien vision, or hide the fact that I can easily see an alien trying to get the sneak on me.

I specifically purchased the monitor for ns1-2.

That's pc gaming for you.
  • milozmiloz Join Date: 2012-07-09 Member: 154013Members
    im actually not even sure anymore if this guy is serious or if hes actually the best troll i've ever seen
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    NS2 should've been designed on the Xbox so everyone is on the same level, that or lock the FPS to 15... basically no, if the options are in the game's options menu, it is not cheating. Hell next up you're coming in here that a Higher FPS due to better hardware is cheating. And with that:

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->*LOCKED*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
This discussion has been closed.