Grenade Launcher feels primarily like an anti-skulk weapon

Comments

• yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited October 2012
    -Gl and exo should not constitute a 'game over situation', it requires 2 cc's and absolutely anyone can afford it once it's researched. Gls and exos versus skulks and fades happens in most any non-trivial game. The point is how amazingly easy it is for marines to stall even a very good alien team with this, even aliens have large a resource advantage.

-I like the OP's comparison to xeno and gl. Xeno seems severely deficient here. In fact, the aliens' AoE abilities are generally crap in comparison.

-Xeno used to do more damage to structures (aka less to players). Why not do this for the GL. A skulk should at least be able to survive on GL.

-+1 for highlight gls in alien vision, maybe increase the grenade size. They are VERY hard to see in the choas.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1985790:date=Oct 1 2012, 11:55 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 1 2012, 11:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Gl and exo should not constitute a 'game over situation', it requires 2 cc's and absolutely anyone can afford it once it's researched. Gls and exos versus skulks and fades happens in most any non-trivial game. The point is how amazingly easy it is for marines to stall even a very good alien team with this, even aliens have large a resource advantage.

-I like the OP's comparison to xeno and gl. Xeno seems severely deficient here. In fact, the aliens' AoE abilities are generally crap in comparison.

-Xeno used to do more damage to structures (aka less to players). Why not do this for the GL. A skulk should at least be able to survive on GL.

-+1 for highlight gls in alien vision, maybe increase the grenade size. They are VERY hard to see in the choas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

- Having GL's and Exo's DOESN'T mean the game is over, many times I've seen a comm try to rush GL's and Exos and it doesn't work. It's also pretty easy for a good gorge onos team to hold down a hallway against several marines for a long time. It comes down to skill and team work.

- Alien AOE abilities are crap? You haven't learned to use bile bomb, void, stomp, or omg spores. Spores are incredibly useful. Not only do they completely block vision but they ignore armor. A good lerk is very hard to kill if they're using spores.

- This I agree with completely, grenades should be highlighted in alien vision. But let's be honest by the time you see one next to you, it's probably too late anyway.
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1985796:date=Oct 1 2012, 01:03 PM:name=Davil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Davil @ Oct 1 2012, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Alien AOE abilities are crap? You haven't learned to use bile bomb, void, stomp, or omg spores. Spores are incredibly useful. Not only do they completely block vision but they ignore armor. A good lerk is very hard to kill if they're using spores.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not to nitpick but spores have the ability to mildly irritate so they have to run out of the gas and go to an armory/ask for health. It's a pretty slow and risky way to kill people. It is more suppression and support than anything.

For bilebomb, you have to be a gorge, and a suicidal one at that. Also a very slow way to hurt (notice I can't even say 'kill').

The current Gls on the other hand simply kills everything and anything, upfront and abruptly.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1985808:date=Oct 1 2012, 12:21 PM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 1 2012, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to nitpick but spores have the ability to mildly irritate so they have to run out of the gas and go to an armory/ask for health. It's a pretty slow and risky way to kill people. It is more suppression and support than anything.

For bilebomb, you have to be a gorge, and a suicidal one at that. Also a very slow way to hurt (notice I can't even say 'kill').

The current Gls on the other hand simply kills everything and anything, upfront and abruptly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right and what other "AOE" weapons do marines have? Mines? Bilebomb is extremely effective against exos especially if they're trying to use macs to repair them. And you must not have seen too many good lerks. A good lerk can kill with spores pretty efficiently. If the commander spamming med packs to keep you alive due to spore that's already a huge boost for aliens, and if all the marines are at the armory, well spore the armory, it won't heal fast enough if all the marines are trying to hump it.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1985664:date=Oct 1 2012, 05:38 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 1 2012, 05:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im sensing another fade nerf coming :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fades are fine this build.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2012
    I've been bumping the internal thread i made about this for some time.. glad to see others agree.

No need for mechanics that need explaining like "GLs are less effective if exploding in vicinity of friendlies" ... <i>if you simply lower the player dmg. </i>
    (this is why the splash damage suggestions wont work as well because you could still spam teammates' feet.)

GL is supposed to be anti structure. Lower its player damage to reflect this role.
    FT can work as the support weapon by severely hurting armor.

Weapon roles fixed, proper RPS mechanics implemented, easier to balance, less turtling from GL spam at entrances.
  • Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    They are a very powerful combo exo and GL but to be honest if the marrines are allowed to get in that situation in the first place it sounds pretty endgame. Exo AND GL is a HELL of a lot of resources and some people saying "OMG if marrines have exos and GL AND Jetpacks its totally unstoppable" well of course it is because thats a LOT of late game tech on the field :P
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985849:date=Oct 1 2012, 04:29 PM:name=Angry Hillbilly 2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angry Hillbilly 2 @ Oct 1 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985849"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are a very powerful combo exo and GL but to be honest if the marrines are allowed to get in that situation in the first place it sounds pretty endgame. Exo AND GL is a HELL of a lot of resources and some people saying "OMG if marrines have exos and GL AND Jetpacks its totally unstoppable" well of course it is because thats a LOT of late game tech on the field :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's as much resources as a Lerk and Fade cost, but that combo is rediculously easy for a team to counter. You need about 3 LMG marines to take that combo on.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    GL's are fine, lets focus on things that are actually unbalanced please, for once.

i mean seriously this argument is about skulks not being able to survive nade volleys

against whips perhaps a bit stronger than it needs to be, otherwise leave it alone..

i mean what else is it "op" against. every other class can kill a gler pretty easily if they dont have a jetpack and even then its not THAT hard.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985780:date=Oct 1 2012, 01:39 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ Oct 1 2012, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've suggested that since ... forever. Basically, grenades and mines cut the size of their own explosion so as not to damage any friendly players. So grenades would do very little damage if you fire them at the feet of other marines or exos.

Friendly fire is ... problematic, to say the least :-/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've said it before too, glad I'm not alone. :)

I think reducing damage if allies in the blast radius is a good solution. Can explain it away by saying the weapons have safeties.

Instantly people standing on mines are not helped, firing grenades at structures or feet of marines does not help, and bilebombing gorges are reduced if aliens are already dog piling the structure.

Only problem I forsee is marines will rage at eachother if one marine starts knifing the hive while others are trying to grenade it. Similar with gorges will start raging if anyone except the gorge starts attacking structures in melee.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1985845:date=Oct 1 2012, 05:23 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 1 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985845"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been bumping the internal thread i made about this for some time.. glad to see others agree.

No need for mechanics that need explaining like "GLs are less effective if exploding in vicinity of friendlies" ... <i>if you simply lower the player dmg. </i>
    (this is why the splash damage suggestions wont work as well because you could still spam teammates' feet.)

GL is supposed to be anti structure. Lower its player damage to reflect this role.
    FT can work as the support weapon by severely hurting armor.

Weapon roles fixed, proper RPS mechanics implemented, easier to balance, less turtling from GL spam at entrances.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No offense, since when do marines need even more "anti-structure" only damage.

Leave the GL alone plz. I beg it in fact.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    To be frank, if you make the GL (or any purchasable weapon) not good against skulks, people simply won't use it. Why would anyone buy a weapon that you can't even defend yourself against a zero-cost skulk?
    <!--quoteo(post=1985872:date=Oct 1 2012, 05:32 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 1 2012, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be frank, if you make the GL (or any purchasable weapon) not good against skulks, people simply won't use it. Why would anyone buy a weapon that you can't even defend yourself against a zero-cost skulk?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it provides devastating bunker-busting power to Hydras and Clogs, as well as taking down massives swaths of alien bases at blinding speed. You're not supposed to pick up a GL and walk off to fight skulks. You're supposed to move with a team who can give you support.
    <!--quoteo(post=1985872:date=Oct 1 2012, 04:32 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 1 2012, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be frank, if you make the GL (or any purchasable weapon) not good against skulks, people simply won't use it. Why would anyone buy a weapon that you can't even defend yourself against a zero-cost skulk?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because you want to clear alien defenses, or drop the hive before the alien team has time to react.

Besides its already bad against skulks if you are defending yourself. You just kill yourself. We are arguing here that you should not be able to defend allies by popping grenades at their feet.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm in for the solution of dematerializing the grenade in a blue light when they would blow up to near of another marine.

That doesn't robs it the area denial validity.
    Because of the blue-light-effect, it is not nearly as unintuitive like having minimal damage to players. (It's an explosion!)
    This solution just stops the cheap and frustrating use of the GL as Invincible-Shield for team members.

It is just a cheap mechanic that creates frustration on the alien side. You can argue as long as you won't, but that won't change, that I and others don't think of it as a fun game mechanic. Simply because we have no fun playing against those mechanic or feeling cheap when playing with it, because it is so damn effective.
    <!--quoteo(post=1986107:date=Oct 2 2012, 06:42 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Oct 2 2012, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm in for the solution of dematerializing the grenade in a blue light when they would blow up to near of another marine.

That doesn't robs it the area denial validity.
    Because of the blue-light-effect, it is not nearly as unintuitive like having minimal damage to players. (It's an explosion!)
    This solution just stops the cheap and frustrating use of the GL as Invincible-Shield for team members.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah thats pretty intuitive.
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    I think GL's are pretty balanced...other than guarding exo's with them. It's because friendly fire isn't on.

I'm not suggesting turning it on...but maybe if you shoot grenades next to an exo, it shakes there screen alot.

That way you can't just gaurd a EXO by sitting back and keep lobbing grenades at him, cause he would become usless. (coudln't aim at stuff while his screen is shaking)

And if you guys really think its over powered other than this. Maybe just make it cost a bit more. Because if you make it not kill aliens...I'm not buying it. No one bought the flame thrower when it didn't do anything agaisn't aliens.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    After playing Tribes:Ascend today, a light bulb lit up in my head.

The MIRV launcher is a mortar/grenade that is ineffective against moving targets, but excellent for area denial:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWW_LHk0c04"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWW_LHk0c04" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

What if the grenade in NS2 does not explode upon hitting a player, but still explodes after the fuse runs out, and detonates when hitting a structure?
    Then we don't fix the problem at hand in the slightest? The issue is not people scoring amazing grenade-tags on enemies attacking their friends, the issue is that people can just throw a cluster of grenades at their allies' feet, protecting them.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    im okay with what the ET rnade used to which is explode after x amount of seconds but that does remove any skill level needed in the nade launder ( if there was any anyway) in say that mid airing someone because you know how to aim the bloody thing correctly is very satisfying
    <!--quoteo(post=1986168:date=Oct 2 2012, 10:24 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 2 2012, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986168"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then we don't fix the problem at hand in the slightest? The issue is not people scoring amazing grenade-tags on enemies attacking their friends, the issue is that people can just throw a cluster of grenades at their allies' feet, protecting them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm finding it depressing how many playtesters are changing the topic of this thread.
    You shouldn't. Playtesters are just players with the free time to bug test. They're just as capable of skimming threads, misunderstanding posts, and holding controversial opinions as anyone else is.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986157:date=Oct 2 2012, 04:29 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Oct 2 2012, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After playing Tribes:Ascend today, a light bulb lit up in my head.

The MIRV launcher is a mortar/grenade that is ineffective against moving targets, but excellent for area denial:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWW_LHk0c04"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWW_LHk0c04" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

What if the grenade in NS2 does not explode upon hitting a player, but still explodes after the fuse runs out, and detonates when hitting a structure?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jesus christ they still havent fixed the arc on that thing? Bloody useless hirez.

The problem is the mortar is horrifically effective in close range, which is where the majority of this game occurs. Also compared to tribes you have no real way to dodge attacks so it wouldnt work.

GL should be the marines bilebomb imho, it already demolishes bases ( i hear you like eggs) so why not just make it rape armoura nd do very little to nothing vs life?
    If we're going to limit it to one form of damage, I'd rather see it rape life only if no armor is present.

The suggestion of grenades limiting their splash to the nearest friendly is much better though.
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1986157:date=Oct 2 2012, 10:29 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Oct 2 2012, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986157"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After playing Tribes:Ascend today, a light bulb lit up in my head.

What if the grenade in NS2 does not explode upon hitting a player, but still explodes after the fuse runs out, and detonates when hitting a structure?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As much as I'm a complete beast with a Juggernaut (well, I'm a beast with pretty much everything in T:A), I don't think a MIRV like weapon would work for this game. Decreasing the AoE radius on the GL in its current form would probably be the best fix.
    gl is fine, leave it alone

(awaiting nerf and game breaking changes next patch)
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986268:date=Oct 2 2012, 09:00 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 2 2012, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gl is fine, leave it alone

(awaiting nerf and game breaking changes next patch)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry but Gl's are far from fine total agree with OP and I like the idea of decreasing damage radius if there is a marine (execpt the shooter) present this would address the problem which is not the damage but the way ppl use it to make exo's and forward marines untouchable.

and to address another post lerks spores are gd for stopping this until u try it and get raped buy the marines and exo's also they tend to do this in door ways where there is no way to get into the hallway without taking the long way round.
  • 3DKnight3DKnight Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10181Members
    edited October 2012
    Fix whips! 2 marines with GL + JP's = all eggs and structures dead in your hive if they get in (especially in cargo). With whips costing 15 res each and taking forever to mature, 2 of these should be able to throw away a lot of the grenades. Have them scoop up close by grenades that land in a radius and change thier damage to the alien side. That would REALLY make whips useful.

Marines would push into a base, see 3 whips and go "STOP THE GRENADES!, you'll kill us all!" giving aliens a break from the spam. It would also give the flamethrower a more robust role

If 2 fades get into a marine base, they can be pushed back before too much damage is done. 2 GL + JPs? (that cost 5 res less each) goodbye upgrades and eggs, and hopefully not your hive if you are lucky.

Take down the fire speed on GLs. Right now you can pop 4 off REALLY fast. If you have 2 people alternating the firing with an armory close by and you have effectively created an perpetual explosion shield around any force that is pushing through. If the GL gets taken out? another marine picks it up and continues.

The only defense aliens have against GLS are whips, but they are so useless that no one build them unless you have money to burn.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Xeno would be a lovely counter for killing the GL player + the exo welder. But xeno sucks.

As for it being an anti-skulk weapon, it's unfortunate, but a side effect of skulks being squishy and free. If there were a way of avoiding them better (they're near impossible to see much of the time) it'd be fine IMHO.
    <!--quoteo(post=1986498:date=Oct 3 2012, 04:28 AM:name=arnyboy87)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arnyboy87 @ Oct 3 2012, 04:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry but Gl's are far from fine total agree with OP and I like the idea of decreasing damage radius if there is a marine (execpt the shooter) present this would address the problem which is not the damage but the way ppl use it to make exo's and forward marines untouchable.

and to address another post lerks spores are gd for stopping this until u try it and get raped buy the marines and exo's also they tend to do this in door ways where there is no way to get into the hallway without taking the long way round.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ok so please explain what is "wrong" with gl