Mod content freezes game

IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription"> Downloading mods from a server, Locks the game up</div>It happens every time I try to connect to a custom server, or try to use explore mode. I can't even join the all-in servers because of ns2stats mod being added.

I verified the game cache and no change, and my firewall isn't blocking the Steam Workshop. I tried subscribing to everything, didn't work. I tried unsubscribing to everything, and that didn't work.

Now I need to uninstall everything ns2 and then reinstall while hoping for the best.

Comments

• YogiBYogiB Join Date: 2012-09-30 Member: 161132Members
    I'm having the same issue. If you have found a solution let me know :)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Deleted local game content, deleted the ns2 content. Re-downloaded the game. I was able to join the all-in ns2stats #3 server, but explore mode and custom content servers still freezes my game.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    My problem is even more peculiar. Not only does my game hang while joining certain servers, it even hangs when I'm joining explore mode, and my own LAN server as well.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I have the same problem as twiliteblue. The game freezes while I try to open a server or join a server. Every single time! It crashes while authentication, while loading or even after finishing loading the whole map.

The only mods that I have installed are workshop maps. But when I start NS2, it says 'removing old version of mod xyz', could that be related? Together with the checkerboard bug, playing ns2 is a dream since build 216!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Happins to me doing playtests, Devs are aware of this.
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    I'm getting the same issue. I can't connect to my own mod's servers :/
    It doesn't even work when I run a vanilla server with no mods enabled and connect to that. Does anyone know a way to disable the temporary subscription to mods? I think that's the root of the issue.

Also, I notice that the game runs with nearly max cpu while it's frozen up... Maybe an infinite loop bug somewhere. If there's any way I can do any profiling to let you know which function the game is stuck on just let me know.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    After deleting my Workshop directory, I noticed NS2 is attempting to download the maps 'ns2_prodigy' and 'Insidious', which are no longer available on Steam Workshop. Nor can I unsubscribe from them. I wonder if it is related to the issue.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited October 2012
    I've also been having this problem for a while now, how do you clear cache and workshop files and go back to a clean state without reinstalling? if everything verifys ok then that shouldn't be the cause, probably some existing mod files or steam thats to blame.

Edit: i was trying to use <a href="http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx" target="_blank">process monitor</a> to see if anything stood out with ns2.exe or steam.exe (use filtering), perhaps someone with more knowledge can track down the problem?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited October 2012
    run %appdata% - open the Natural Selection 2 folder - open the Workshop folder and delete the content.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    Been playing recent builds of NS2 with few problems until 221.
    Now when I try to join a server with mods installed, the loading screen will lock up at "Downloading Mods". I was hoping that it just took a bit of time to download but I've waited for upwards of 20 minutes before having to ctrl-alt-del and kill NS2.exe
    Servers without mods I can enter into just fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This happened to me today too. Exact same issue as you.
  • SarjuukSarjuuk Join Date: 2012-08-20 Member: 155933Members
    Same problem here
    Even after reinstalling the game and deleting the workshop directory in %appdata% (and yes, checking the game-cache integrity) the game still hangs.

The last line in the log is always: 'Finished loading 'maps/ns2_*.level' for every map.

Is there a way to get a more detailed output?
    Yeah clearing cache and even deleting all ns2 configs doesn't solve the problem, i've also even tried deleting ClientRegistry.blob, AppUpdateStats.blob, appcache, userdata and depotcache just in case it was something from steam causing it, no luck.
    edited October 2012
    This has been a problem for sometime with my game but looks like it has gotten worse <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121538" target="_blank">recently</a>, a lot of servers are now unplayable, can we get a quick patch please?
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    Also having a problem using mods. Subscribed and downloaded just fine and activated the mod, join a modded server and I freeze up on "downloading mods". I've deleted the content inside Workshop directory and repeated the previous steps to no avail. I hope this gets fixed really soon, I am really wanting to play some NS2C.
  • slickoo9slickoo9 Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161241Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1985686:date=Oct 1 2012, 12:10 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Oct 1 2012, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->run %appdata% - open the Natural Selection 2 folder - open the Workshop folder and delete the content.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Followed <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=121573&view=findpost&p=1985798" target="_blank">this link</a> to get here after creating my own thread in general discussion.

I deleted the Workshop folder just like you said and the game still hangs at "Downloading mods".

I was able to play 221 just fine before today. I guess all the servers have installed mods since then which prevent me from loading into them. Oh well, maybe I can get more productive things done until this issue is sorted out, because right now I can't play on any servers as far as I can tell.
    Try following Magneto's link. There you will find a way to delete your Workshop folder. It didn't work for me but it might help you.
    i didn't have a workshop folder, just cache and launch pad folders
    i didn't have a workshop folder, just cache and launch pad folders
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I don't have a workshop folder anywhere and I can't join the ns2c servers.
    I get a 'couldn't mount ...' error in my console.

Any suggestions?
    edited October 2012
    I was actually able to join a game by going into mods and disabling ns2stats.org mod (the only one I had), and unsubscribing from the steam workshop. Maybe that will help someone.

Edit: actually it was just a server without mods installed.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1985686:date=Oct 1 2012, 01:10 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Oct 1 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->run %appdata% - open the Natural Selection 2 folder - open the Workshop folder and delete the content.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Deleted the content, the game still freezes at.

Temporarily subscribing to mods
    Downloading Mods
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you know the exact mods that the server requires, you can try going to the Steam Workshop and manually subscribing to them. Then, run your ns2 game client and click on Mods on the menu and double-click on the item to activate it. Click Restart then try joining the server again.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1985932:date=Oct 1 2012, 08:58 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Oct 1 2012, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't have a workshop folder anywhere and I can't join the ns2c servers.
    I get a 'couldn't mount ...' error in my console.

Any suggestions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it worked after restarting windows lolllllllllllll
    Why is this happening to the few of us!? Why!!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    <!--quoteo(post=1985938:date=Oct 2 2012, 02:10 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Oct 2 2012, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you know the exact mods that the server requires, you can try going to the Steam Workshop and manually subscribing to them. Then, run your ns2 game client and click on Mods on the menu and double-click on the item to activate it. Click Restart then try joining the server again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've tried that and it doesn't work, it seems no matter what mods are running ns2 tries to download them whether you have them subscribed and active or not.

As many servers run some kind of mod and that's all im interested in playing right now, the game is basically broke for me and needs fixing soon, not in two weeks time.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    It shouldn't even be needed to subscribe to mods like NS2c or NS2Stats, let alone activate them - I thought they were in the workshop for servers, not for clients.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1986115:date=Oct 2 2012, 06:16 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Oct 2 2012, 06:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It shouldn't even be needed to subscribe to mods like NS2c or NS2Stats, let alone activate them - I thought they were in the workshop for servers, not for clients.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly this. There is huge confusion over this whole mod system.

You do not need to subscribe to maps or game mods unless you are wanting to test them on a listen server.

The only mods you need to subscribe to are things like alien vision and cross hair mods.

The good: you auto download mods(custom map or gameplay) when connecting to a server

The bad:servers do not autoupdate like clients do. If a mod updates, server Breaks until its manually updated.