do you think that there will be enough servers ?

piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
well... do you think there will be enough servers upon launch ? Currently we have enough servers to support 2000 players ? and there are how many pre-orders ? not to mention people buying the game after launch ? Do GSP's even have the hardware to run a 16 player NS2 server at the moment ?

Comments

• BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    it will cost about $4000 a month for to support 2k more players($32 for a 16 slot server). Hopefully people will be putting up more servers for this awesome game :D.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Of all the servers we currently have, not many fit the requirement of having 16 players with 30 tickrate.

But I'm very sure that uwe will manage to optimize the game well enough before the release :)
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    of the 126 servers currently on the go 33 of those are not even updated to the latest or even previous version of the game, so I doubt theres even close to 2000 player slots worth of updated servers at the moment. so unless the game is optimized to a level where most gsp's can comfortably run it I think it will be a huge struggle to have enough servers to cater to the player base on launch.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Most server admins I speak to have said for 1.0 they will be bringing on probably twice as many servers to fit demand.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    I really hope that server performance increases drastically. I know matso in another thread said their is lots of things that can be coded to work across multiple cores. Hope this comes in before 1.0...

GSP's WILLNOT buy consumer hardware and overclock them for NS2. Just will not happen..
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981303:date=Sep 21 2012, 01:29 PM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Sep 21 2012, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really hope that server performance increases drastically. I know matso in another thread said their is lots of things that can be coded to work across multiple cores. Hope this comes in before 1.0...

GSP's WILLNOT buy consumer hardware and overclock them for NS2. Just will not happen..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, patching in multithreading is not done _that_ quickly ... need to re-architect some (surprisingly little, but still) stuff. And that takes time; longer than the time to release.

Bw, is it that much cheaper to rent two not-so-hot cores than one hot?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981518:date=Sep 21 2012, 12:27 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ Sep 21 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bw, is it that much cheaper to rent two not-so-hot cores than one hot?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The issue is that many core, <3.0GHz per core server hardware is much more common (and cheaper) than less cores, >3.0GHz server hardware. Add in that many GSP's like the ability to run multiple VPS's per system such that having the load spread across multiple cores can be beneficial.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1981165:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:47 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 20 2012, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of all the servers we currently have, not many fit the requirement of having 16 players with 30 tickrate.

But I'm very sure that uwe will manage to optimize the game well enough before the release :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I beg to differ: <a href="http://ns2servers.devicenull.org" target="_blank">http://ns2servers.devicenull.org</a>
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981521:date=Sep 21 2012, 03:33 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 21 2012, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The issue is that many core, <3.0GHz per core server hardware is much more common (and cheaper) than less cores, >3.0GHz server hardware. Add in that many GSP's like the ability to run multiple VPS's per system such that having the load spread across multiple cores can be beneficial.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Concur ! there are large numbers of industry standard Quad Core Xeon at 3.2 Ghz running 4 games with no issues.
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited September 2012
    It will depend on how many Ops are cashing out for decent dedicated boxes - I'm running an E3-1280 / 16GB 1333Mhz Ram and yet I'm still not comfortable pushing beyond 18 slots for every core and a third (Well that and I dont think the game flows quite as well beyond that population). Server demands are so high that I'm even considering shelling out for the E3-1290v2 just to hold onto a stable 30tick during games that have dragged on for more than 40 minutes and entities are stocking up (don't even talk to me about the impossibility of server's running 30tick if more than say 30 drifters are present).

That said - even the hardware that can cope with these demands can't run stable servers that hold to 29-30 tick without regular restarts and nudges on mapcycles (if a server stays empty for more than 4 or so hours on the same map, then tick will be trashed until a restart is issued. [If data on devicenull is accurate]).

This leaves my group paying for a very pricey machine that can only really cope with 5 servers, 16-18 slot. But how does that break down? To about £35 for 16 slots at cost. It really isn't prohibitive, and if they improve server perf beyond this point then GSP's that understand the in's and out's of the game should have no issue hosting for about the same rate and still make a reasonable profit.

I'd imagine many other Ops are in my position, with dedi boxes that they just aren't using to their full potential yet - demand simply isn't there. We're in a stalemate of having to buy/rent expensive hardware to get a decent server instance running as GSP's just cant cut it on VPS's etc... but then our hardware is running but a fraction of what it really can when demand is there.

I'm not really worried; I think the capacity will be there.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm a bit worried in Australia, especially the West (no mans land).
    It's going to be hard to get an ISP to use a beefy server to run a NS2 server for 8/12/16 players. Currently the server peformance isn't good enough for the basic rental servers we have here :(