NS2 sound volume is very quiet

AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Sound from NS2 is very quiet, checked software-based volume levels</div><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>I did search for this but mostly got results of people misspelling "quite" :)</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

I am wondering if it's just me or not. NS2 sounds very quiet compared to any other application and game I have that produces sound. That includes sound effects, voice, and music. I've checked the volume levels in NS2 itself (all 3 of them), Windows' master playback volume, and Windows' NS2 playback volume -- all of which are maximum.

I have to turn my physical speaker volume up very high (nearly 50% -- it's a 5.1 home theatre system) to be able to hear what goes on in NS2 clearly, but then every other application is massively loud. If someone messages me on IRC or MSN, that becomes the overruling event by quite a margin :p A workaround would be to lower every other application in the playback mixer, but clearly that would still imply that NS2 is at fault.

I also noticed NS2 uses the FMod sound library, but that can't be the issue as we also use it in Sven Co-op and that is very loud indeed when its' volume level is maximum.

Btw: Windows 7 Pro x64, Realtek HD audio

This along with minor rendering glitches is the only quibble I have with NS2 beta so far. I am very happy with everything else NS2 has brought beyond NS1, thanks for a great beta :)

Comments

• MobyMoby Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68450Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have exactly the same problem with the volume too. If I want to hear NS2 as I would like normally with other games, I have to crank up the volume to near max. on my speakers. Naturally, if something else then comes up, everyone around me is quite surprised, and all of them including me are annoyed of this.

Its also good to see in the volume mixer, NS2 never reaches any sound level above 20%...

Windows 7 Pro x64, Realtek HD audio

PS: No one else have this problem?
  • GraydeeusGraydeeus Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158450Members
    I imagine this is an issue with the Realtek drivers. I used to have a similar issue with Skyrim where I'd have to over double my volume in order for stuff to be audible.
  • TherealsmokeyTherealsmokey Join Date: 2007-09-18 Member: 62353Members
    I have realtek drivers and I have this same issue with sound. I can barely hear any activities besides attack noises. Could it also have something to do with the background music that is playing? Or can I turn that off (I haven't checked yet and I am about to go to bed)?
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I do have a Realtek HD audio card (built-in to motherboard), though I am using the Microsoft supplied drivers for it. I did try the Realtek ones once, but they totally screwed up the outputs for 5.1 surround sound.

There is a bit of inconsistency with volume across games/applications, but that happened with every sound card I've had. Nothing has had quite this amount of volume offset.
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    I'm using a Creative X-Fi card and have this issue too. Overall the sound seems much quieter than other games.
  • slanslan Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159912Members
    I've got the same problem. It's the only reason I'm not playing NS2 right now. Sound volume is about 30% of all the other applications. Meaning that if i'm going to play with my friends (teamspeak) I have to do a lot of sound fiddling. (lower all other volumes to the same low level of ns2 and turn my physical speaker way up.). Using sound blaster audigy bulk sound card and playing with headphones on.