Please please remove auto med/ammo requests

Comments

• greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973038:date=Sep 6 2012, 04:43 PM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Sep 6 2012, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 was fine without it, I hate having my marine auto ask when I'm almost at the armoury anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's another thing, you get health and med spam when a marine's in a tech room that has an armory, or something like that and you click away thinking its important...
  • TwigsTwigs Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155195Members
    edited September 2012
    Why do I just get the feeling that this game is getting more and more dumbed down to act all mainstream. First the red comms/hives now auto callout for meds and ammo.. God dammit UWE don't go down that road.
  • ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972806:date=Sep 6 2012, 08:19 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Sep 6 2012, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And please remove the Medrequest from Q! Some players have a strange config (crouch, ingametalk, walk etc. On Q) getting requests all 10s for a Med drives me crazy beside the ammo requests.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I imagine this probably has more to do with other games, notably most source-engine games, having Q be last weapon used. After playing a lot of TF2's MvM update, I came back and was inadvertently spamming my commanders with medpack requests when I was just trying to get to my pistol. Doesn't help much that the mouse wheel is reverse that of many other games, ether.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tbh i thought that UWE would remove auto-requests anyway, because it's kinda obvious how broken not just the system, but the whole idea is.
    It takes control away from the player, it spams the comm with useless and quite often not needed requests, it kills all the immersion and it basically breaks manual med/ammo requests.

Nothing worse then your character shouting off requests when you try to hide or ninja your way to somewhere.
    If we really need "ease of access" just add a binding for an universal request that just asks for med when damaged, asks for ammo when low on ammo and asks for a order when the marine is full on ammo and health.

Also a big +1 from me for an insight style overview on marines status for the commander, most important thing: Give the commander information on the ammo levels of marines.
    Spamming ammo packs just to see if a marine is "full on ammo" is not really a nice solution, it just kills way too much possibility for good micro if you lack such important information as an commander.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited September 2012
    Can the aliens hear the call? Didn't I make a big rage post half a year back about that? Turns out I was wrong, aliens couldn't hear me, but now they can? Fhhhharrrr out, whisper into comm anyone? regulate speach with whisper breathing? F nanos, we can already do this [quiet comms] pretty easy. [plus - take quiet sound, noise gate amplifies it, commander still hears decent ammo/med call - just when we *want* to call, thats all ... we can't always choose when we lose, its a team game, surely we get to controll our own *voices* yes?]
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    They've always been able to hear you buddo.
    But +1 to op, auto is frucking annoying, both as comm and as marine, i constantly shout 'ignore that' when im out of ammo.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1972944:date=Sep 6 2012, 07:12 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 6 2012, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not a fan of it because
    - It gives away your position to the aliens when you don't want to
    - The comm gets bombarded with med/ammo requests (which only get worse for larger games)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point there scardybob :) Now let's just hope that the devs listens to us.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, remove it.

I'm not against making this game more accessible for noobs. This is very important. But this feature just doesn't work.
    A tooltip (that you can disable) that hints the key to do a request would be enough.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973501:date=Sep 7 2012, 04:28 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Sep 7 2012, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, remove it.

I'm not against making this game more accessible for noobs. This is very important. But this feature just doesn't work.
    A tooltip (that you can disable) that hints the key to do a request would be enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    I don't mind making it easier for PEOPLE to call for ammo, but having it auto call whenever you reload seems a bit obnoxious. Especially as performance improves and we see larger servers come about. I know I commed a game yesterday in a 24 slot server, we had a big stand in our base and i almost lost my mind between that lady yelling at me "structure under attack" "player needs health" "player needs ammo". This has got to go.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1 to the remove crowd.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I think we all agree the auto-request needs to go. It just clutters things up right now. So either severly reduce the frequency or make it only when palyers request it.

Replace with the old "Request Ammo", "Request Medpack/Heal/Weld", "Request Orders". It worked in NS1. Plus in NS2 we have pop-ups to let us know we CAN request them, so it won't be a hidden mechanic.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    People need to learn to interact with the commander, not have the game do it for them.
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    I like the idea of a helper "you can ask for meds/ammo" thing.

It's good to see that agreement seems to be pretty much universal.
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973036:date=Sep 6 2012, 12:40 PM:name=Cem)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cem @ Sep 6 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please remove auto med/ammo requests and put back taunt sounds for lifeforms and marines.
    Especially aliens have very interesting taunts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just cerious, will the issue with med/ammo spam be fixed for the next patch?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Having just gotten back into this I have to say this is by far my biggest complaint with the game. It gives away information to the enemy team (sup dog I'm almost out of rounds, come eat me brah) and annoys the commander without actually helping him see which marine in group fight needed the ammo. At least with a medpack request you can spacebar and find the guy who's almost dead by looking at his health, but there's no ammo indicator for the commander HUD. Maybe some kind of visual graphic showing how many reserve magazine (one to four) rendered vertically along the left-hand side of a marine? I'm not really sure if there's enough space for that, but visualizing it in my head makes it seem cool. If I had any photoshop skill at all I'd make a mock-up.

Either way the automatic notifications are unhelpful and obnoxious.
  • CLARK_KENTCLARK_KENT Vancouver, Canada Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9508Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Yes, please remove for the very same reasons below!

<!--quoteo(post=1972944:date=Sep 6 2012, 11:12 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 6 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not a fan of it because
    - It gives away your position to the aliens when you don't want to
    - The comm gets bombarded with med/ammo requests (which only get worse for larger games)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973980:date=Sep 8 2012, 08:00 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 8 2012, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just cerious, will the issue with med/ammo spam be fixed for the next patch?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's fixed, personally, with med and ammo costing 1 Tres per drop. It's a strategy - nanoshield and medspam to buff a marine under attack - but it means that the commander isn't spending the time working on other structures or upgrades, and they're not saving up resources. They're being wasting on drops.

Drop five meds and five ammo and you could have built an armory.
    <!--quoteo(post=1974569:date=Sep 9 2012, 01:33 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Sep 9 2012, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's fixed, personally, with med and ammo costing 1 Tres per drop. It's a strategy - nanoshield and medspam to buff a marine under attack - but it means that the commander isn't spending the time working on other structures or upgrades, and they're not saving up resources. They're being wasting on drops.

Drop five meds and five ammo and you could have built an armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah this is an issue when I comm. I try to micro <i>too</i> much and end up delaying tech when sometimes it would have been better to let a dude die and get guns1/a pg/adv armory/mines/whatever done instead.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    not worth dropping any health/medpacks now unless your marine is on a super awesome secret mission to kill the enemy teams upgrades/resource twers behind enemy lines. just saying.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1974939:date=Sep 10 2012, 02:45 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Sep 10 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not worth dropping any health/medpacks now unless your marine is on a super awesome secret mission to kill the enemy teams upgrades/resource twers behind enemy lines. just saying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I very strongly disagree. Are we even playing the same game here? This game is very much about map control, and to have map control, need to have combat effective marines in advantageous positions around the map. Sometimes you can achieve better results with armory. Sometimes there is no time. If you do not support your marines, they will a) have a harder time earning your team the victory and b) be annoyed at you and start waiting for the next round. Also, even though you could just save up for upgrades and skimp on support, very often the guys with comm support can hold longer on to your RTs and other positions and also take down alien assets better. There are a lot of indirect but positive effects to be gained from med and ammo spam. Even on public, even with average players.
    Yeah it doesn't make sense to say that you should <i>never</i> try to keep your dudes alive, only that it's a decision and sometimes I personally make the wrong one.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Back to page one! This is a big issue and it's clear that no one has a positive opinion on this feature. The devs need to be aware of this.
  • PneumaticCrabPneumaticCrab Join Date: 2002-11-28 Member: 10133Members
    please do this and also replace random starting hives with a system that is less awful for competitive play. thank you and have a wonderful weekend.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah I don't like it, mainly because on the weekend the Comm was shouting at everyone he has NO RES FOR AMMO SO STOP ASKING! and Everyone was like but but...! *Sell everything* You greedy twats HERE'S YOUR AMMO at the expense of the game! .. But but Comm...
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    Add me to the "get rid of this" crowd. At least make it an option (that defaults to off!).
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    dis·cre·tion/disˈkreSHən/
    Noun:
    <ul><li>The freedom to decide what should be done in a particular situation.</li></ul>
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972596:date=Sep 6 2012, 12:56 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Sep 6 2012, 12:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe it kicks in around 1 mag left or something..
    In which case.. i dont think its a false positive?

But i definitely wish it said "getting low on ammo" audibly, and then prompted the marine to actually ask for it manually if desired. Q does this for medpacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why does it need to say that, who needs that kind of handholding when the ammo count is plastered right there on the screen. why do we even have voice com then? hell, even making the ammo count blink red would be a better solution than whats in place currently
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    On the same topic, can we have taunt actually you know.. taunt. Instead of call for medpacks.