Please please remove auto med/ammo requests

paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I get what you were trying to do with it, but it makes life much harder for the only commanders that pay attention to those requests. In ns1 I could hit the spacebar as soon as I got a notification and snap to the action. Now if I hit space I'm just as likely to end up looking at a random marine shooting cysts in a hallway somewhere while jetpackers die in a hive, medless.

Edit: but seriously, it is most likely to spam you and make it more difficult to pick out a specific marine at the exact worst times for that to happen.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    This should go without saying, really.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I believe it kicks in around 1 mag left or something..
    In which case.. i dont think its a false positive?

But i definitely wish it said "getting low on ammo" audibly, and then prompted the marine to actually ask for it manually if desired. Q does this for medpacks.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    I'd rather ask in ingame voice or on TS instead of having my position revealed to closeby aliens.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    The auto-requests completely break down the whole request system, and I've been assuming its a bug that's going to get fixed soon...

As a commander you now have a constant request spam coming in, and you really need to spend thought on who actually needs meds and ammo. Before, if you heard a request, it was likely that the marine thought they actually needed ammo and meds. Now, you can have autorequests from guys next to an armory or guys that are on some suicide mission. You have occasionally so much spam from requests that you will miss some of the genuine ones.

Since I can no longer trust the system at all, I mostly ignore all ammo/med-requests from the system. When comming, what I do is I tell people the system is bugged and that when they really need something, they should as on voice or chat.

Edit: Are the auto-requests not a bug, but an intended feature? To me it has seemed so obviously awful that it must be a bug, so I hadn't even considered it might be changed on purpose... If its not a bug, then what is the reasoning behind this? What are the goals and how is it achieving them better than the previous system?
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972596:date=Sep 6 2012, 09:56 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Sep 6 2012, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe it kicks in around 1 mag left or something..
    In which case.. i dont think its a false positive?

But i definitely wish it said "getting low on ammo" audibly, and then prompted the marine to actually ask for it manually if desired. Q does this for medpacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it's still annoying as hell to basically lose control over your character and hear him have an outburst.

Make it an optional training wheels thing that goes away when you disable the noob tips or take it out entirely.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 All players need is an alert key stating they need support, which is manual.

I still think the comm needs an Insight style player list, it would help A LOT.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    try playing on a 24 player server with 11 marines all running out of ammo every 5 seconds -_-

i too thought it was a bug, because it was spamming it over and over non stop.

Runteh's solution is perfect, have all the marines show up in a list on the left side of the commander screen, similar to the insight spectator mod. And show the marines health and ammo levels. That way a commander can click on someone on the list and get taken directly to them on the map.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Automatic requests are bad.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    The ammo one isnt even the worst for me. It's the health spams. If a marine gets bit twice by a skulk and has 10 hp left, he asks for a medpack EVERY time. Sometimes early on, especially in big games, it's not worth dropping meds, and more important to rush the phase and rts.

This spam is just too much, make it manual again.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Please remove auto med/ammo requests.

I just have the feeling that more and more addons are included in the game which makes it easier for everyone. Like when power is lost, it will appear in front of your screan, or when hive/cc is being attacked it will appear in your screen telling you what hive/cc is currently being attacked.

I misss the good old days of ns1 one when you never know, that everything was skill based. Where the commander had the responsability to monitory the battlefield. Where true skill based was required. Only the best could handle the pressure as commander.
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    oldassgamers - actually, it's not that the auto requests make it <i>easier</i>, it's that they break the functionality of the request system, making it more difficult. If every request is from a player that actually needs a med or ammo, you can just jump to those with hotkeys and know who needs it. If every member of the team is automatically spamming you, it gets impossible to know which one you should pay attention to, if any. The end result is that marine commanders are trained to ignore the request system.

I mean I feel kind of silly - commanding is by far the easiest role, IMO - but it's still a frustrating "feature".
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know paella , i totally agree with you.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Used all my pistol ammo on Cysts, only to hear myself go "I need some ammo over here!" and comm spamming 3 clips on me.

Was like, "No. Just, no."
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    They should remove that. Once you go that way why stop here? Why not add automatic ammo drops etc. Why have people at all. Let's just watch bots play the game for us.
  • MaukkaMaukka Join Date: 2011-06-12 Member: 103991Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Was the automatic request system even necessary to begin with? If a commander has trouble locating who wants medkits/ammo then why not add a small minimap icon over the marine who requests something instead of this automatic spam system.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And please remove the Medrequest from Q! Some players have a strange config (crouch, ingametalk, walk etc. On Q) getting requests all 10s for a Med drives me crazy beside the ammo requests.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Devs prolly just got a bit too excited about easy access thinking.

Btw a minimap-blip on the requesting marine is a good idea. A red cross for meds and 3 bullets for ammo. Nothing too flashy tho, just a short 3 flash blip.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
  • pvthochpvthoch Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149528Members
    i never get a ammo drop or medpack drop
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Easy access is fine, and no bad thing. It is just that this implementation just doesn't work.

What would be better is if the commander had an insight style player list, and the players had a generic 'require support' key.

When pressed you might hear a subtle beep, and then the player who requested becomes outlined on the list.

Then the comm knows whether it is ammo/health (visually you could see this) or assume that is is another matter, such as locational awareness. I.e. Commander I need an rt!

You could tie in voice communication with this, so you could see exactly who is saying what and move to them quickly.

I think this would work the best.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972824:date=Sep 6 2012, 11:46 AM:name=pvthoch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pvthoch @ Sep 6 2012, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i never get a ammo drop or medpack drop<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Part of this is because of the spam people are talking about. I know when I comm, I pretty much don't drop meds unless I'm watching the combat take place and can actively see who needs it, or someone requests it in voice chat. It's impossible to use the alerts to identify real needs. I know it's extremely frustrating in the field (sorry beeb!) but the only way to stay sane and be a commander is to just completely ignore the request system.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972827:date=Sep 6 2012, 11:52 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Sep 6 2012, 11:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easy access is fine, and no bad thing. It is just that this implementation just doesn't work.

What would be better is if the commander had an insight style player list, and the players had a generic 'require support' key.

When pressed you might hear a subtle beep, and then the player who requested becomes outlined on the list.

Then the comm knows whether it is ammo/health (visually you could see this) or assume that is is another matter, such as locational awareness. I.e. Commander I need an rt!

You could tie in voice communication with this, so you could see exactly who is saying what and move to them quickly.

I think this would work the best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not stick with the system that worked pretty well before? The marine made a choice to spend two keystrokes asking for health and/or ammo, or hit the voice chat button to say it. Instead of getting a warning every time a single marine enters combat across a large map?
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    <a href="http://twitch.tv/smaugpendraig/b/330662848" target="_blank">http://twitch.tv/smaugpendraig/b/330662848</a>

At 17 mins in, I mention the Auto-call thing, and I believe it happens later on and I mention it again.

The way I resolved it was by telling the marines to ask for ammo + room name over voip, and just straight up ignore the requests. At some big push moments, I'd be spammed with about 6 - 7 ammo requests (not fun, and the one guy who needs it most gets drowned out by the other ammo requests), and at some sneaky moments, the poor marine will blurt something out and potentially reveal his position.

I think the ease-of-access thing is a step too far for this as it causes a "boy who cried wolf" type of scenario. It would be much better to teach the marine about it with helpers (When he gets low on ammo, tooltip says for you to press these buttons to call the commander's attention).
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Yeah, this needs to be fixed or removed. Pick your nomenclature: it's causing problems.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    +1. There's nothing that needs to be said that hasnt been already. This feature needs to go.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not a fan of it because
    - It gives away your position to the aliens when you don't want to
    - The comm gets bombarded with med/ammo requests (which only get worse for larger games)
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    +1 gtf(eature)o PLEASE
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think the idea was good, but it really doesn't work, because it removes the purpose of those requests.

If anything, the commander could have a way to easily see the health/ammo of all his marines and decide for himself, but the request need to be manual. Alerts need to be high priority, otherwise they will be ignored.
  • CemCem Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70472Members
    Please remove auto med/ammo requests and put back taunt sounds for lifeforms and marines.
    Especially aliens have very interesting taunts.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    NS1 was fine without it, I hate having my marine auto ask when I'm almost at the armoury anyways.