Oculus Rift

eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
<div class="IPBDescription">First truly immersive virtual reality headset</div>It's a A kickstarter project that some of the biggest developpers will dev for and it would be great to have it in NS2
<a href="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game" target="_blank">http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/152337...p-into-the-game</a>

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Except how would it work in a fast paced arcade shooter?

How would you handle separate aiming and head tracking and still be competitive? It'd probably be very disorienting and make the game unplayable, or it'd annoy the hell out of people because some players can turn around without moving their model.

VR techs are cool, but not suitable for every game.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Legitimate concerns, Chris. I'd say this is a very nice product, which can only work in singleplayer mode, or games that can be played with <b>only</b> this device. It's highly unlikely that NS2 will support this device. The only thing I can imagine it might support at some point, is the 3D view. The rest would have to be default, keyboard and mouse.

A very cool product though. I've had my eyes on it for a while now and I'll be keeping track of it, to see if it goes anywhere. :)
    Yeah I'd love to play something like fallout 3 with this, or STALKER maybe. It'd be incredible for something that gives you time to look around and simply be immersed in the environment, or even a strategy game in the vein of black and white, where being a sort of floating disembodied consciousness is entirely fitting the game world, but I can't imagine playing an arcade FPS with it.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    <!--quoteo(post=1964377:date=Aug 17 2012, 03:51 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 17 2012, 03:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except how would it work in a fast paced arcade shooter?

How would you handle separate aiming and head tracking and still be competitive? It'd probably be very disorienting and make the game unplayable, or it'd annoy the hell out of people because some players can turn around without moving their model.

VR techs are cool, but not suitable for every game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

huh? how is turning your head without moving your 'model' an actual problem in multiplayer???

given that'd you'd have to animate the model to have a twisting torso + head, but it's not that hard? the same can even be done if you don't have such a VR-headset.

if you stand still, and only move your mouse... well you get the idea I hope ;)
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1964388:date=Aug 17 2012, 03:28 PM:name=LPC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LPC @ Aug 17 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->huh? how is turning your head without moving your 'model' an actual problem in multiplayer???

given that'd you'd have to animate the model to have a twisting torso + head, but it's not that hard? the same can even be done if you don't have such a VR-headset.

if you stand still, and only move your mouse... well you get the idea I hope ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because the game factors knowing where your opponent is looking into the gameplay quite a lot.

Skulks would be a lot more frustrating to play if you had to pick out the head direction of every marine before you can attack safely, or if marines could build/weld objects AND look around freely.

The problem is having your view be detached from your actions, actions dictate the way the silhouette of the model is pointing, view dictates where the danger lies for players looking to close distance.

Imagine playing metal gear solid where the enemies decide to use <i>actual</i> security cameras that are very small and enclosed inside a little black sphere so you can't tell which way they're pointing, and you get the idea.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    as i understand it, your view (as in model) turns 360° if your own head turns 360°.
    this makes sense using a wireless game controller, otherwise you only replaced your mouse view but neither the mouse buttons nor the keyboard. now if you turn around 180°, your keyboard is out of reach. i can't imagine people would want a keyboard somehow attached to their body while wearing this thing.
    that aside, ns2 has waaay to many important things on the list for this to deserve a decent priority.
    <!--quoteo(post=1964425:date=Aug 17 2012, 05:20 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Aug 17 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->as i understand it, your view (as in model) turns 360° if your own head turns 360°.
    this makes sense using a wireless game controller, otherwise you only replaced your mouse view but neither the mouse buttons nor the keyboard. now if you turn around 180°, your keyboard is out of reach. i can't imagine people would want a keyboard somehow attached to their body while wearing this thing.
    that aside, ns2 has waaay to many important things on the list for this to deserve a decent priority.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It doesn't work quite like that, it's effectively a trackIR with a screen stuck on it.

So, just as with normal head tracking software, you can magnify head movements, and also retain mouse control over the centre of your head-tracked-panning.

So, you move the mouse to turn your character and use the keyboard to control it, but you move your head around to move your character's head and the centre of your view.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1964377:date=Aug 17 2012, 05:51 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 17 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except how would it work in a fast paced arcade shooter?

VR techs are cool, but not suitable for every game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kind of like TrackIR set up for an FPS game - You have a key you press, like right click, which brings up your centered sight view.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Not excited in the slightest, just gonna be another fad piece of hardware thats barely used. Remember physics cards anyone?

When I play a game I either want to relax/###### about or play competitively. It obviously is of no advantage to competitive players (just look at any competition setup for a game, you turn all detail off and reduce as much interference as you can. 'VR' would not be ideal for that). And if I want to relax do I really want to put on this bollocks huge, probably warm and fairly uncomfortable wrap around glasses thing. I already get a bit annoyed by having to wear my headset to play with friends.

Add into that the inevitable cost and support issues and it just doesnt look good at all.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    How about that it makes your character look around with your neck like an owl -> not with your eyes. Sounded impressive at first, but I agree with RobustPenguin - prolly going to be a fad that will die.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    The VBS (Virtual Battlespace) engine that powers the Operation Flashpoint / Arma series (known lately for the DayZ mod) allows for independent movement of the head, seems to me it would be the ideal game to integrate this hardware. You could aim your weapon with the mouse, your head with the Rift, and move with the WASD keys, all independently of one another.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965206:date=Aug 20 2012, 07:30 AM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Aug 20 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The VBS (Virtual Battlespace) engine that powers the Operation Flashpoint / Arma series (known lately for the DayZ mod) allows for independent movement of the head, seems to me it would be the ideal game to integrate this hardware. You could aim your weapon with the mouse, your head with the Rift, and move with the WASD keys, all independently of one another.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's technologically feasible.

Just not a fit for most FPS games.

Knowing where you enemy is looking via their body position is crucial for most games these days. Maybe one day this will change in the future, but that is the case for today's setup. For ArmA, this sounds like an excellent idea. NS2? Not so much.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    At the risk of asking what might sound like a really daft question, sure, you can look where you want (like an idiot), but how are you controlling your weapons etc - would it be a case of using a console style controller, rather than a keyboard ?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Even tho this might be unpractical to utilize in a game like NS2, but i'd still love to use it just for its screen!
  • wookalarwookalar Join Date: 2020-09-25 Member: 264203Members
    I have heard there are hacks/ports to run this on oculus but do we know if the oculus quest or quest2 are going to work with either of the subnautica games? I havent gotten a rift yet but was told you could do the pc link thing to play on a quest but the source wasnt very reliable.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited December 2020
    Well NS2 uses an in-house game engine 'Spark'. NS2 will require rewriting a portion of its 3D engine to support VR. Subnautica as a Unity-based engine can adopt experimental VR supported by Unity.

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133601/why-is-subnautica-using-unity-and-not-the-spark-engine
    https://docs.unity3d.com/540/Documentation/Manual/VROverview.html